Search
Like Tree7772Likes

Kyosho Mini-Z Series

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 05:21 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EMU
Chase mode was sort of a gimmick. We never really used it. Basically it lowers the normal speed to about 90% throttle, then gives you the normal amount on command. Although you have a present amount of times you can use this boost every power cycle.

I like the AWD, although it is really only competitive with lower traction surfaces or unlimited motor. At which point, serious money needs be invested in the drivetrain. Differentials, pinions, and swingshafts all need upgrading to handle a lot of power. The rear swingshafts start slipping with anything more than a 50t.

on your small track, an AWD would be a lot of fun, but in a competitive environment, it is hard to be competitive against rwd cars. There is a drivetrain power loss, limited gearing, and weight penalty if motor is restricted to lower power. Small track, with lower corner speed they can shine... longer radius corners the AWD suffers due to higher center of gravity.

with that said, on the medium grip carpet track that I usedto race, the awd modified class was the fastest of the night. On RCP, it wouldn't be.

I have 4 MA-010... one is basically converted into an ma-015 with the DWS rear end. Now the ma-020 is the only available option, although I haven't tried one yet. The ma-01x use spring over kingpin front suspension where the ma-020 has upper a-arm front suspension and has a wide option.
I’ve been considering adding a AWD. Even if just for my track. I agree the the “chase mode” has a gimmick sound to it. But did sound like an interesting concept. Especially if run in a truly box stock( tires only) class. What does seem strange is how Kyosho markets the AWD as mostly drift.

Will see how things go over next couple months. See if more join in as outdoor seasons end in next few weeks. Might even have a couple of completely new people coming Sunday to see what MiniZ racing is about.

I’m hoping that a true box stock class can form. While I know cost on these is better then 1/10. It’s still really easy to scare people off at the idea of spending on this size.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:27 AM
EMU
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
I’m hoping that a true box stock class can form. While I know cost on these is better then 1/10. It’s still really easy to scare people off at the idea of spending on this size.
Don't let them know the real secret, that because of the lower cost of these cars, you buy 3x as many....
AlvBo likes this.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:32 PM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Holy crap, I did not realize just how much track my buddy was talking about. The good and bad is that it is 30CM track. The track looks like it has never been used, 80% of the barrier holder have never been touched. There are also some sweeper section and maybe a chicane? In all the reading and pictures I have looked at I have never seen 30CM sections like that.

I will dig through the boxes tomorrow and get a better handle on what all is there but I have way to much track.

Cheers,
Jim
Kremzeek, Billy Kelly and AlvBo like this.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:55 PM
EMU
Tech Master

That's the same size track that Billy Kelly runs... you can lay out the same track, and time trial against him

there is no such thing as having too much track...
AlvBo likes this.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by LJH
Holy crap, I did not realize just how much track my buddy was talking about. The good and bad is that it is 30CM track. The track looks like it has never been used, 80% of the barrier holder have never been touched. There are also some sweeper section and maybe a chicane? In all the reading and pictures I have looked at I have never seen 30CM sections like that.

I will dig through the boxes tomorrow and get a better handle on what all is there but I have way to much track.

Cheers,
Jim
It is probably not as much as it looks. I own 2 wide L 50 cm, and I was dismayed at how much space it takes up. I sewed 2 big bags to transport it, but it is still annoying. That said, I LOVE IT. We ran on Harbor Freight rubber floor mats before, and while I miss the creativity of our homemade tracks, there is no comparison in the ease of set up and the quality of the surface.

We run the HFAY series and need the 50 cm, but for my own personal use, I actually wish I had the 30 cm. You can stack and store it in a more efficient way than your picture and it is more versatile at home. It would make a great track in my basement, but the 50 cm barely fits if I clear out the furniture. I think you will enjoy it!
AlvBo likes this.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:14 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I played a bit with the track this morning There were enough pieces out of the boxes to layout about 75% of a Mini-96. I am guessing there is the Mini-96 track plus 100-120% more of track including a bunch of “middle” pieces to make the lanes 3 wide. A lot of the track really looks like it was never used. I layed out what was accessible and the assembly was not bad from my chair. I will get some help from the little man to collect all the pieces I need for the Mini-96 track and assemble that. That way in the future I can pretty easily assemble the track. I did run on the track very briefly and it has s pretty tight, but with that said I was starting to get comfortable with it after a few tries.

On a another note, Relex Racing refunded my charge for the Atomic disk dampener so I am guessing the actually do not have it in stock. I am going to wait on the 90MM build for the time being but I still need a disk dampener for both a 94 and 98MM chassis. Should I just go with the PN version? Will it work with th R246-1201 motor mount? What is the difference between the carbon and FG plates?

thanks.

Cheers,
Jim
AlvBo likes this.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:41 AM
EMU
Tech Master

That's a good amount of track. Using the middle expansion tile gives you just under the normal width on the 50cm track. For training purposes, it is better without, unless you have the room to widen short chutes to make into a sweeper.

My time driving on a mini tile at home, and a big track on races really brought my driving skills up.

Sucks about the damper... my personal preference is the frp over carbon. They take less preparation, but the differences between the materials is so minimal. Carbon is stiffer, so there is less flex, but the material is so smooth that the damping action is minimal. I scuff the surface with fine grit sandpaper, which gives many small pockets for the fluid to hold. It also increases the resistance for the discs even when run dry.

for damping fluid, I usually start dry, then increase viscosity of fluid/grease as needed to get the rear end planted. Bumpy tracks I run less viscosity, smooth tracks more viscosity. Most dampers come with fluid, but many silicone greases work here... some even use vasoline to good effect.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:04 PM
Tech Prophet

Found a new spot for camera. Got video from couple rounds from here.
EMU, eR1c, Byebye and 1 others like this.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:55 AM
Tech Prophet

Overhead view of the mod class.

AlvBo likes this.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:26 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Love the overhead shot. It makes it easier to see the lines driven.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:45 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by EMU
Love the overhead shot. It makes it easier to see the lines driven.
yes it does. Always wanted this view for our 1/10 scale racing. Never knew there was a balcony. I’ll have my class up tonight hopefully. Made big improvement.

I used the 7T pinion. I saw on the Facebook where you suggested going with the 8T. Looks like we are keeping this layout one more weekend. I’ll try the 8T next time
AlvBo likes this.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:15 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Go 7 first, then 8 later. The layout is just big enough for an 8 if you keep momentum up. Too small for 9. I think 9 is only good with an aluminum mount for heat dissipation.

I think a 9t is not really faster than an 8t in anything but a very high flow track. If there are any slow sections, the 8t is ideal. There is a little heat fade with an 8t, but nothing compared to the 9t. With a 9t you need to baby the throttlein the early minutes to have any power near the end of the run.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:19 PM
Tech Prophet

Stock class. Only change is to the 7T pinion

overhead view of store class. Used the super wide angle lens

AlvBo likes this.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:41 AM
EMU
Tech Master

Looks like the added tooth gave you a run to get used to it a little. More speed, gives more responsibility. It also brings out more flaws in the car.

My opinion, is that the car has too much entrance and mid corner steering, its hard to make smaller adjustments on fast sections without scrubbing a lot of speed. It can also get you into a habit of steering too late in the corner without slowing down enough. I notice many of the guys in the heat overshoot many of the apexes, while you stay mostly tight.

Did you change anything in the last run? The car looked to flow smoother in and through the corners. It could be that it was night, and conditions changed, which decreased the front traction relative to the rear.

If you look in the following clip, we only have the car steer enough to make the corner without slowing down. This is a 90mm 70t class with narrow bodies and 0mm narrow wheels all around. I was in the pure white AE86, Shop owner in the white/black Silvia, and the Atomic USA rep at the time in the yellow Porsche. This class provided some of the best battles... we were a little stubborn at the end of the clip, ruining a great show.

The point of showing this clip, is that you can see the general flow and rotation of the car. The car is smooth, and carries speed through the corners. Stock classes are all about momentum, so speed lost by steering too much needs the motor and battery to regain it. This becomes more heat, and less voltage, so less speed.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:11 AM
Tech Prophet

No changes others then the pinion to start day. Did try a new set of batteries for last round. Found out last night they were not fully charged. Lasted only about 2 minutes on my basement track. My steering adjustment are limited by the stock controller. I missed all of practice this week. So just turned dual rate down to setting that seemed to work.

You can see in video that definitely one car is faster then driver can currently handle.

Overall everything felt better. Track didn’t seem as big as previous week. I know which cars are unpredictable. Will see Sunday, keeping this layout one more time.
AlvBo likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.