Search
Like Tree285Likes

GL Racing GLF F1 Chassis

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 04:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default GL Racing GLF F1 Chassis

There is a Facebook video of the car running and many pictures.

Last edited by liljohn1064; 08-22-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:40 PM
Tech Champion

Last edited by liljohn1064; 08-22-2019 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Facebook Link
Old 08-22-2019, 04:45 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yes there is. Hopefully the link will work

https://m.facebook.com/groups/150613...37867763021807
Old 08-22-2019, 04:47 PM
Tech Prophet

Old 08-22-2019, 04:49 PM
Tech Champion

Perfect.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:53 PM
Tech Prophet

Sidewinderz will be having a good number of them this fall. I’d guess close to 10 have basically committed to buying.

I had been waiting for video before starting a thread for it.
liljohn1064 likes this.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:26 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I am very excited for this car, I do think that it is properly scaled for the tracks that we race them on where the kyosho feels a little cramped. I thin that this car will be the fastest car on the track and outperform the GLR and GLA. The speed and stability shown already on the video with no option parts, I think we will get some good racing with these.

I believe that I read that this car had 2S 3500kv.

once concern was that the car would have only one tire supplier. Marka is a good tire, but having limited options might be difficult to finely tune the setup.

Micro RC Syndicate had ordered 10 for preprders, preorders, and are all claimed... I think that this is could be the best third class to have in a race program.

mini-z f1 was my favorite class to run at races. It was tricky to dial out the quirks that the car had, but when you got it sorted there is no class that it more fun to race. I had a fleet of 5 or 6 mini-z f1s, each with a different setup for different layouts. Atomic mount for tight tracks with slower corners, PN mount for sweeping corners... my main issue with the f1 was the size, on a 3 tile wide track, it would feel like a 98mm mini-z would feel like on a 2 tile circuit, and a 2 tile circuit felt like a mini-96. While the GLF is a shorter wheelbase (130 vs 114mm), which would open up more track to race.

Initially, I was thinking that one could race these in an open class with kyosho cars, watching the video showed that the kyosho would clearly be outclassed. We are considering limiting the motors to 3500kv for the GLF and having open motor for any AAA car, but I still think that the GLF would easily win the battle.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:46 PM
Tech Prophet

EMU.

I was wondering what motor. I asked in that video that Sidewinderz linked to. I’ve not driven a 3500 in any small scale. But sounds right. Sounds like next weekend they should have a plan for how the class will be structured for us. And when a general idea on when to expect them.

I’m planning on having mine built by Sidewinderz. I’ll be like an F1 “works” team.

I’ve only once seen the Kyosho F1 run. It looked really cool. But did seem a bit larger then everything else on the track.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:43 AM
EMU
Tech Master

I want to speak with sidewinderz to see what they will decide for the class structure, I think it will be good to try to have it as close to the same as possible. Right now, there isn't much space for regulation outside of motor spec because there really is only one production chassis with no option parts. Kyosho is discontinued, and while it would be great to get those cars back on track, I don't really see them as an option when the GLF looks so good.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:56 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by EMU
I want to speak with sidewinderz to see what they will decide for the class structure, I think it will be good to try to have it as close to the same as possible. Right now, there isn't much space for regulation outside of motor spec because there really is only one production chassis with no option parts. Kyosho is discontinued, and while it would be great to get those cars back on track, I don't really see them as an option when the GLF looks so good.
I did read it was a 3500. Hadn’t thought about battery.

I’ve not really run 2s yet on this scale
Old 08-24-2019, 11:16 AM
Tech Prophet

3 of them together.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...cus_composer=0

As some who does a lot of video. These are disappointing. Mine will look so much better
liljohn1064 and EMU like this.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:04 AM
Tech Prophet

mugler likes this.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:26 PM
Tech Master

Glad to finally see the most gratifying class ever make a return to this scale after Kyosho halted production… judging from the response, Formula 1 racing in this scale will finally be a mainstay class vs novelty as it was seen before and is here to stay for the long haul.

Despite my initial reservation I now completely agree that the shorter wheel base and the over all shorter length of the body is a much better size fit to RCP tracks than he Kyosho F1 cars.

Marka’s rear tires for Kyosho were the best of the bunch and even though they never made front F1 tires to this point their front GT tires are pretty top notch too….the PN hard and medium front F1 tires for Kyosho F1 cars are just incredible…depending on the built in height adjust ability of the GLF-1 maybe the existing Kyosho wheels and tires could still be usable.

A well tuned open motor Kysogho F1 car “may” still have a chance against a 3500 GLF-1 that is if different size and driving lines would be compatible enough…one recently exposed expert top-tip which i had a chance to try a week ago with amazing success was taking out the front springs and locking down the up/down movement of the knuckles in my case using O-rings. This omits any binding as there is no dampening to begin with and even though its counter intuitive the car drove shocking well and was blazingly fast through the corners.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:02 AM
EMU
Tech Master

I think that what makes the kyosho f1 work well with rigid front suspension is the fact that you are usually fighting to find rear traction. Very seldom have I fought for front grip, and 90% of the work tuning the car has been in the rear for me. Are you using camber/caster? I think this also removes one of the possible points of stiction on the knuckle/kingpin, which is a common inconsistency that this style of suspension has.

small update, it looks as though GL wil have 3 different compounds for front and 2 compounds for rear of marka tire for the GLF1 upon release. I plan to get one of each and see what I find the best balance with.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

I usually use 1 degree camber with softer and 2 degrees with harder tires based on conditions . on one of my F1’s I also installed the MantisWorx upper arms with caster built in ( i think 2 or 4deg?) which instantly made the car drive so much better but the car I tested locking up the knuckles with had a stock front suspension with 2 degree knuckles.

The stiction i’ve identified on my cars comes from bent knuckle stems having trouble moving up & down within the eyelet of the toe bar…when everything is straight car works great but doesn't take too many hits to bend even the strongest knuckle out there. IMO after market knuckles should've been made either out of steel, titanium or at least 7075-T6

It would be nice if they limit the tire selection to these 5 compounds to eliminate endless tire testing, if you know what i mean LoL …whichever ones they are using in that video seems to be working more than good enough as is.

I never owned a GLR, so was wondering about servo durability…looks like GLF uses the same one and perhaps even the same saver?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.