Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
GL Racing GLF F1 Chassis >

GL Racing GLF F1 Chassis

Like Tree285Likes

GL Racing GLF F1 Chassis

Old 08-27-2019, 02:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I'm pretty sure this chassis is mere millimeters shorter than the Kyosho and still fits the 1:24 scale. That being said the existing wheels and tires should be a direct fit. I really like the MC3 wheels fit, finish and color selection. By the end of September I will have 5 different mfgs: Kyosho, Xpower (short chassis), MC3, Lajf and GL. Let's just say I like F1.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:59 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The tire testing for f1 was the most tedious of the classes for me. Once you got the main setup, it was all down to the tires. Having 20 sets of wheels/tires and swapping them until you found the right ones was often how they were tuned at race events. Even swapping between similar compounds could change the feel depending on wear and heat cycles. I remember Sai Tam running 4 different wheels/tires on his car most of the time since he would setup for one specific type of corner. His driving was quite similar to Art, with a lot of mid corner throttle steer to generate rotation and drive off the corner. I tended to favor the atomic mount over the PN, which had more mass and would generate some oversteer on corner entry but drove off the corner relatively straight.

As for the tire options, I think 3 for front and 2 rear is plenty so long as we can find a good balance with them. It isn't helpful if only one rear and front are the only ones that work... we need to see how they react to different surfaces. As long as we aren't struggling for traction on both ends, I think we will have something to work with. Tuning higher traction front tires with glue is always an option if that end has too much bite. In 1/10 F1, Roland Shao would test for sweep, and his results with 3 different front tires were near identical lap times depending on the amount of glue which was used to balance the car. The softest compound got up to speed much faster in the first two laps, and generally was the fastest tire to race on, but it used the most glue over the shoulder to reduce steering. I used Shimizu rubber, with minimal glue, but the first few laps I would be skating until the tires came up to temperature.

once we get on track, and testing rubber, I think we will know what tires are the preference. Which, might change from layout to layout even on the same surface depending if you are looking for corner entry and mid corner steering or mid to exit stability.
mugler likes this.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:02 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
I'm pretty sure this chassis is mere millimeters shorter than the Kyosho and still fits the 1:24 scale. That being said the existing wheels and tires should be a direct fit. I really like the MC3 wheels fit, finish and color selection. By the end of September I will have 5 different mfgs: Kyosho, Xpower (short chassis), MC3, Lajf and GL. Let's just say I like F1.
not sure that the kyosho wheels will work on the f1. The ones in the GLF pictures are 0mm offset, where the kyosho are -3mm. I also think the diameters are also larger for kyosho. The MC3 wheels should be compatible in the 0mm variety, but not sure about diameters or widths yet.
mugler likes this.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:06 AM
EMU
Tech Master

Front tire width is 11mm, rear 14mm. No word on diameter.

Front tires available will be 23, 25, and 27 degree, no word as to which compound marka are using here.

Rear tires will both be 10 degree rated, the difference between the two will be v1 and c9 compound.
mugler and liljohn1064 like this.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:56 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Old 09-03-2019, 10:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mugler View Post
I usually use 1 degree camber with softer and 2 degrees with harder tires based on conditions . on one of my F1’s I also installed the MantisWorx upper arms with caster built in ( i think 2 or 4deg?) which instantly made the car drive so much better but the car I tested locking up the knuckles with had a stock front suspension with 2 degree knuckles.

The stiction i’ve identified on my cars comes from bent knuckle stems having trouble moving up & down within the eyelet of the toe bar…when everything is straight car works great but doesn't take too many hits to bend even the strongest knuckle out there. IMO after market knuckles should've been made either out of steel, titanium or at least 7075-T6

It would be nice if they limit the tire selection to these 5 compounds to eliminate endless tire testing, if you know what i mean LoL …whichever ones they are using in that video seems to be working more than good enough as is.

I never owned a GLR, so was wondering about servo durability…looks like GLF uses the same one and perhaps even the same saver?
You should try a GLR. I've had one since they came out and have tried a couple of configs and only a couple of setup changes until I found one that worked well. I'll be trying the new Marka F1 tires also as they become available for the F1 along with the Kyosho wheel type also from Marka. Only so many will work and everyone will settle on them for running smooth side RCP. I don't expect many more tire makers to jump on board.
EMU likes this.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

The reason for not trying GLR so far has been because how well the kyosho/PN chassis based cars which i’ve been heavily vested in have been performing so far and the new EVO board is like a big gust of wind into the sails of these platforms…but yeh I think my next 98mm purchase whenever that is will be a modular electronics car which at this point GLR has the market cornered. Wish Atomic had released their planned 2wd also but i guess the project was shelved.

In the meantime find it very appropriate to be entering the modular chassis scene via the route of GLF given F1 is my favorite class.
Regards to using kyosho wheels on GLF i’m hopeful also. One observation based on studying GLF pics the rear right wheel/tire will probably need to be shimmed away from spur to avoid hitting it…a familiar issue even with kyosho F1's when using double lipped PN spurs (grinding outside lip on the spur was my other remedy). GLF’s re-designed wheels eliminate that problem…regardless I’ll definitely give a go to kyosho rims on GLF.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:19 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mugler View Post
The reason for not trying GLR so far has been because how well the kyosho/PN chassis based cars which i’ve been heavily vested in have been performing so far and the new EVO board is like a big gust of wind into the sails of these platforms…but yeh I think my next 98mm purchase whenever that is will be a modular electronics car which at this point GLR has the market cornered. Wish Atomic had released their planned 2wd also but i guess the project was shelved.

In the meantime find it very appropriate to be entering the modular chassis scene via the route of GLF given F1 is my favorite class.
Regards to using kyosho wheels on GLF i’m hopeful also. One observation based on studying GLF pics the rear right wheel/tire will probably need to be shimmed away from spur to avoid hitting it…a familiar issue even with kyosho F1's when using double lipped PN spurs (grinding outside lip on the spur was my other remedy). GLF’s re-designed wheels eliminate that problem…regardless I’ll definitely give a go to kyosho rims on GLF.
you would need to use aftermarket wheels which have 0mm offset, the kyosho are -3mm. MC3 have such wheels I believe.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by EMU View Post
you would need to use aftermarket wheels which have 0mm offset, the kyosho are -3mm. MC3 have such wheels I believe.
You are correct and actually I do have a set of the MC3 wheels in Gold which have been itching to use.
EMU likes this.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

More pre-release testing fun by factory drivers posted on SM.
Got one on pre-order and eagerly awaiting to get hands on

Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:39 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Mugler

I meant to post that picture this morning. Got busy at work.

I’m really looking forward to getting this class going. Hopefully next weekend the Sidewinderz guys will have the structure for the class for us. I believe 3500kv is the plan. But I saw EMU post that GL has a 2500kv motor now. Until few weeks ago I hadn’t really considered that 2s would be used. One of my Jomurema runs 2s. I’ve not learned to drive that car successfully yet.
mugler likes this.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
Mugler

I meant to post that picture this morning. Got busy at work.

I’m really looking forward to getting this class going. Hopefully next weekend the Sidewinderz guys will have the structure for the class for us. I believe 3500kv is the plan. But I saw EMU post that GL has a 2500kv motor now. Until few weeks ago I hadn’t really considered that 2s would be used. One of my Jomurema runs 2s. I’ve not learned to drive that car successfully yet.
By the looks of your tracks activity I think your group will be pioneering the first racing trends with this class in the US so looking forward to you guys getting busy and sharing the data with the rest of the community.
Given that stock GLF with its carbon chassis and lexan body would be registering a pretty low curb weight then the 2500 may very well end up the better choice. With Brass chassis, aluminum knuckles , metal shock tubes and other offered aluminum options (if used) the need for more power may kick-in....all of this just excited conjecture of course
Old 09-14-2019, 08:00 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Our club network have not placed a motor limit for the class currently. The thought is to drive what you are most comfortable with and provides you the fastest lap times. After driving the GLR with the 2500kv motor, I can assume that dropping the weight 10-15g, the 2500kv might be an excellent option with taller gearing to control low end wheelspin. Similar results can be accomplished with a 3500kv and smaller rotor and ESC adjustment I would think.

Since we are not restricting the cars strictly to the GLF in the class, and permitting all F1 style cars in the general 1/24 (Kyosho/MC3) to 1/28 (GLF/X-Power) scale at this time, it is difficult to place a limit due to how different the mass and power is on each car. So, it will be a run what you brung F1 class until further notice. If everyone is running the GLF for extended periods of time, then we can evaluate redefining the class structure. If people do run the Kyosho car, 2500 to 3500kv limit for 2S might be implemented to keep the AAA cars within range of power.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

For sure it will take a while and a bunch of racing for all the rules to fall into place. It would be kinda cool if eventually a set of uniform F1 rules was adopted for our scale similar to UF1 or USVTA F1 in 10th scale, if nothing else as general guidelines to be referenced by clubs who want to start racing 28th scale Formula 1 & from there canmake changes that makes sense for their own venue or region. 10th scale has been pretty clever with cultivating the "other" novelty classes by doing just that.

In bigger clubs where Mini-Z veterans are going to bust out their MF-10 & 15's as you mentioned some BoP will be necessary to address power to weight ratios between all platforms but it will be cool while that lasts to see how the two will play with each other.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:06 PM
EMU
Tech Master

I would love a unified ruleset for a lot of classes in this scale, we seem to gradually be moving in that direction now that the scale focus is more than mini-z. Stock has essentially become a motor/cell/hard body restriction at a lot of venues, modified 2wd is basically an open modified class, AWD micro touring is finding its place, but now F1 seems to have two standards. 130mm 1/24, and 114mm 1/28.

I am not sure where MC3 is currently with their production F1 kit that they have been working on, which I assume will be 130mm. GL is the first to release their car, which to my knowledge has already had a lot of pre sales... it could become the new standard for the class and some newer clubs might want to choose that as the defining chassis for their regulations while older clubs that currently race f1 (probably very few) might want to stick to the 130mm wheelbase. It's a sticky situation. If kyosho were still supporting the f1, and the class regularly raced i might be upset that GL designed the car outside of the standard already in place (the way I felt about the x-power). But the lack of kyosho support, and the fact that for the most part the 130mm wheelbase is not raced, it leaves a window for the GLF to come and set a new standard for the scale which could lead to central specifications for other manufacturers to enter the market with. If the standard becomes 114mm, then there is no need to set BOP regulations for AAA/brushed cars since anything new will be lipo/brushless based.

When/if MC3 releases a true production f1, we will need to consider the options. They may be one of the only clubs running f1 currently, and I know that they will be keeping 130mm wheelbase as the only option.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.