Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing > MARCCA Discussion
The heck with Spec sedans...Duct Tape Class baby..Yeah! >

The heck with Spec sedans...Duct Tape Class baby..Yeah!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The heck with Spec sedans...Duct Tape Class baby..Yeah!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 11:42 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Tower Hobbies has the Yokomo Drift Tires on "order pending"

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGMV9&P=7

Also here's a big video about drifting, too bad I don't speak Japanese.

http://home.comcast.net/~raymondbarlahan/op117.wmv

Last edited by GordonFreeman; 02-19-2004 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:10 AM
Tech Regular

We should get a hold of some yokomo guys, see if they would like to sponsor the CCC. Or have someone buy HUGE quantities of their drift tirse for cheap, then sell them cheaply at the CCC, or even hand them out.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:33 PM
Suspended

I e-mailed Yokomo, they said thier drift tires don't work well on carpet. I'm not sure what he meant though, maybe they think they are too slippery.

Kev, I got some PVC tubing that perfectly fits my TC3 and Losi rims. I turned some 1" side pieces. Then I stuck some weatherstipping to the center of the rim and "slid" the ring on. They fit real sweet. I will probably go in Monday to try them.

I also glued some denim to one set of my PVC "tires" to try.
Attached Thumbnails The heck with Spec sedans...Duct Tape Class baby..Yeah!-plain.jpg  
Old 02-29-2004, 11:34 PM
Suspended

denim shoes
Attached Thumbnails The heck with Spec sedans...Duct Tape Class baby..Yeah!-denim.jpg  
Old 03-01-2004, 06:56 AM
Tech Regular

You need to get me some of that PVC!! That looks like a perfect fit, what exact size was the pipe? I might want to try some of that instead of the kind I have now (its a little too thick, and one already cracked, since it was crappy)
Old 03-01-2004, 07:27 AM
Suspended

2" (ID is actually 2.060") Shedule 40. I have extra pipe, or I could just make you some, it doesn't take long.

They press fit on now with the foam spacer, but might need just a drop or two of glue.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:29 AM
Tech Regular

Could you make me some? If not, what foam did you use to make it more secure? Is the weather stripping similar to servo tape in composure.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:14 AM
R/C Tech Founder

For all the work you guys are putting into this, I still don't see why you don't just get some very, very hard rubber tires and run those with no traction compound.

The problem with the "drift" cars I've seen you guys running on the track is that they are SO slow; by putting tape or socks or pvc or whatever else over the tires, you've made it so the tires are just freewheeling *everywhere* on the track, not just in the corners.

To make a fun drift class, you still need the tires to hook up enough that you can try to get fast laps and get speed in the straightaways and such. The only difference should be that you are throwing the car into the corners, but how much fun is that when you are going 5 MPH around the track? See if somebody at R/C Performance has a set of super-hard tires (like BSR kit tires for a nitro car or something) that you can try. I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised with the results.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:03 PM
Suspended

I'll stop by RC today. You are right the traction we have is a bit too low. I'm just trying to figure out something that is cheap for everybody since it's mostly kids. But if we can get a really hard tire, that may be the best solution.

Kev, I'll bring you some Sunday, I have plenty of extra weatherstipping too.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:20 PM
R/C Tech Founder

I know that buying and mounting a full set of Sorex (~$40 or so) is too expensive for most, but there are a lot of kit-type tires out there that are really cheap. The kind of stuff you'd get with a RTR Nitro sedan. There are probably a lot of people who have tires like this that they never even use...

Plus, for this kind of racing, the tires will last for pretty much ever. So it's really a one-time expense.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

i have a set of bsr blue compund tires you can have to try....they are mounted on losi hex rims(so you need losi hexes, which i have a ton of)and try them.....who ever wants them can have them...you however will need to get them from me.....
Old 03-01-2004, 06:24 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Yea, that's exactly the kind of tire I'm thinking of. I might have a set around somewhere too. I'd never use them so I'd be happy to let someone have them.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:47 AM
Suspended

Monday night practice test results:

1. Denim is too grippy. It requires too much power and is too fast to drift nicely.

2. Bare PVC is too slippery.

3. Duct tape on the PVC worked pretty well.

Bring your tires, Lumpy...er...Joe.

Last edited by GordonFreeman; 03-02-2004 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:38 AM
Tech Regular

Cool, good job testing. I was thinking that before, of adding tape onto pvc, since its a flatter surface and is stiff.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:40 PM
Suspended

Two new good posibilities. One is called Friction tape. It is a sticky cloth tape. It worked pretty good, but I could not find anything wider than 3/4", so it needs two wrappings of tape.

Athletic tape. Also a nice cloth tape that gives better traction than masking, duct or electrical. I could only find 1 1/2" wide so it needed to be cut back.

Also tried some hard tires somebody lent me. Very slippery for rubber tires, but just too much traction to actually do any stylish corner to corner drifting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.