Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing > MARCCA Discussion
The heck with Spec sedans...Duct Tape Class baby..Yeah! >

The heck with Spec sedans...Duct Tape Class baby..Yeah!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The heck with Spec sedans...Duct Tape Class baby..Yeah!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 02:50 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Lightbulb The heck with Spec sedans...Duct Tape Class baby..Yeah!

Sunday I got the silly idea of putting duct tape on my tires to make them slippery. What a riot! It's totally like ice racing. You are pretty much in a perpetual slide, entering corners rally style with a whip, taking sweepers sprint car style.

Do I hear Duct Tape Class any one?
Old 02-09-2004, 04:13 PM
Tech Adept

yeah, that was pretty sweet, but i dont think you'll get a race type out of it, but you might be able to get it as a special event and the end of ceratin nights, or even the carpet challenge, as an event. But now with todd schaak as the president, i dont think he will allow it, but i think it would be awesome. ( even though i dont have a sedan.)
Old 02-10-2004, 05:10 PM
R/C Tech Founder

I don't see why Todd wouldn't allow something like that. If it's fun and people are having fun, why not?

If you show up and decide you want to run R/C tricycles, I'm sure he'd not be against it!
Old 02-11-2004, 03:50 PM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Well with most of the carpet already duct tape I dont see any issue with it ehehehe

wonder what the Duct tape to Duct tape friction coefficient is
Old 02-11-2004, 04:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Realy wish i had a Sedan
Old 02-15-2004, 05:58 PM
Tech Regular

They actually ran a drifting class today!! Even though they called it "ice racing". Racers were required to put JUST masking tape on the tires, everything else was all goes.
Attached Thumbnails The heck with Spec sedans...Duct Tape Class baby..Yeah!-drifter.jpg  
Old 02-15-2004, 06:00 PM
Tech Regular

Heres some action pics.

The drifting races were the most popular ones there! I think this class will thrive in the MARCCA sedan program (seriously!!)
Attached Thumbnails The heck with Spec sedans...Duct Tape Class baby..Yeah!-drift-7.jpg  
Old 02-15-2004, 06:00 PM
Tech Regular

More
Attached Thumbnails The heck with Spec sedans...Duct Tape Class baby..Yeah!-drift-10.jpg  
Old 02-15-2004, 06:01 PM
Tech Regular

Jon (dont know his last name) actually came up with the idea at the track. Heres his car body
Attached Thumbnails The heck with Spec sedans...Duct Tape Class baby..Yeah!-jon%5Cs-body.jpg  
Old 02-15-2004, 06:02 PM
Tech Regular

Heres his car in action

I really think this class will STRIVE at MARCCA, since you dont need too much power and pretty much ANY sedan can race and be competitive. Since tires are not a issue for beginners (pricy!), neither are motors, batteries, or setup. So its a very beginner friendly class, yet there is still constant action and competition.

Best of all its unique and it attracts spectators like flies!
Attached Thumbnails The heck with Spec sedans...Duct Tape Class baby..Yeah!-drift-9.jpg  
Old 02-15-2004, 06:10 PM
Suspended

I learned one thing though. Worn-in masking tape has more traction than brand new tape. It takes about 8 minutes of racing to get it to the point where it is drivable.

It would be nice if we could find a consistant traction tape. I'll keep thinking on it.

Nice pics, maybe we'll get to where we'll have an A and a B main for ice racing!
Old 02-15-2004, 06:11 PM
Tech Regular

Gordan are you Jon (the coool body guy?)? I might have found a PERFECT alternative....

http://www2.ocn.ne.jp/%7Esw-pal/DRIFT/DRIFT.html (go to technical, then click photo)

I will try this will some older tires and see how it works next week. IF it does, then we may have a drifting tire standard!!

Ill have to make some trips to home depot for some PVC piping!! If it works good, Ill bring some extra pipe "tires" to the track to distribute (maybe even sell LOL)
Old 02-15-2004, 06:21 PM
Suspended

Yea, Gordon - John, John - Gordon.

That looks like a good idea. I wonder if it will be too slippery? As it is, I think we could use just a bit more traction, cuz it's kind of rediculous.

But hey, if you don't try, you'll never know.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:35 PM
Tech Adept

theres actually a kind of tape , that is as sticky as duct tape, but the outside of it is a bit more rough, so it would give you a bit more traction, i think. im not sure what kind it is but it is in most hardware store. by the way, who won tonights race??
Old 02-15-2004, 06:39 PM
Suspended

The problem with duct tape was that is took like an hour to get it off the tires afterwards! Whereas masking tape is specifically designed to be removed.

Bud won the first ice race, good job!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.