R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   MARCCA Discussion (https://www.rctech.net/forum/marcca-discussion-60/)
-   -   The heck with Spec sedans...Duct Tape Class baby..Yeah! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/marcca-discussion/33147-heck-spec-sedans-duct-tape-class-baby-yeah.html)

GordonFreeman 02-09-2004 02:50 AM

The heck with Spec sedans...Duct Tape Class baby..Yeah!

Sunday I got the silly idea of putting duct tape on my tires to make them slippery. What a riot! It's totally like ice racing. You are pretty much in a perpetual slide, entering corners rally style with a whip, taking sweepers sprint car style.

Do I hear Duct Tape Class any one?

The Buster 02-09-2004 04:13 PM

yeah, that was pretty sweet, but i dont think you'll get a race type out of it, but you might be able to get it as a special event and the end of ceratin nights, or even the carpet challenge, as an event. But now with todd schaak as the president, i dont think he will allow it, but i think it would be awesome. ( even though i dont have a sedan.)

futureal 02-10-2004 05:10 PM

I don't see why Todd wouldn't allow something like that. If it's fun and people are having fun, why not?

If you show up and decide you want to run R/C tricycles, I'm sure he'd not be against it!

Clegg 02-11-2004 03:50 PM

Well with most of the carpet already duct tape I dont see any issue with it :) ehehehe

wonder what the Duct tape to Duct tape friction coefficient is :)

FIRE RIDER 02-11-2004 04:11 PM

Realy wish i had a Sedan

KevanB 02-15-2004 05:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They actually ran a drifting class today!! Even though they called it "ice racing". Racers were required to put JUST masking tape on the tires, everything else was all goes.

KevanB 02-15-2004 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres some action pics.

The drifting races were the most popular ones there! I think this class will thrive in the MARCCA sedan program (seriously!!)

KevanB 02-15-2004 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More

KevanB 02-15-2004 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jon (dont know his last name) actually came up with the idea at the track. Heres his car body

KevanB 02-15-2004 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres his car in action

I really think this class will STRIVE at MARCCA, since you dont need too much power and pretty much ANY sedan can race and be competitive. Since tires are not a issue for beginners (pricy!), neither are motors, batteries, or setup. So its a very beginner friendly class, yet there is still constant action and competition.

Best of all its unique and it attracts spectators like flies!

GordonFreeman 02-15-2004 06:10 PM

I learned one thing though. Worn-in masking tape has more traction than brand new tape. It takes about 8 minutes of racing to get it to the point where it is drivable.

It would be nice if we could find a consistant traction tape. I'll keep thinking on it.

Nice pics, maybe we'll get to where we'll have an A and a B main for ice racing!

KevanB 02-15-2004 06:11 PM

Gordan are you Jon (the coool body guy?)? I might have found a PERFECT alternative....

http://www2.ocn.ne.jp/%7Esw-pal/DRIFT/DRIFT.html (go to technical, then click photo)

I will try this will some older tires and see how it works next week. IF it does, then we may have a drifting tire standard!!

Ill have to make some trips to home depot for some PVC piping!! If it works good, Ill bring some extra pipe "tires" to the track to distribute (maybe even sell LOL)

GordonFreeman 02-15-2004 06:21 PM

Yea, Gordon - John, John - Gordon.

That looks like a good idea. I wonder if it will be too slippery? As it is, I think we could use just a bit more traction, cuz it's kind of rediculous.

But hey, if you don't try, you'll never know.

The Buster 02-15-2004 06:35 PM

theres actually a kind of tape , that is as sticky as duct tape, but the outside of it is a bit more rough, so it would give you a bit more traction, i think. im not sure what kind it is but it is in most hardware store. by the way, who won tonights race??

GordonFreeman 02-15-2004 06:39 PM

The problem with duct tape was that is took like an hour to get it off the tires afterwards! Whereas masking tape is specifically designed to be removed.

Bud won the first ice race, good job!