Search

St. Louis Dirt Burners

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 4x4 runner
when does the track open this year?
The track is always open, other than following the rules and not running when the track is too wet, etc.

Our first club race is usually the first weekend in April. Our website is back up and running and, I would think, should have some dates on it soon.

www.dirtburners.org
Old 02-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcboy1
same. Especially taking into consideration how warm this winter has been. If it is over 90 degrees, M3s are the absolute softest thing you run. I am going to run M2 blockades for when it gets blown out, dusty, and hot, and M3 Tazers for when the track is prepped up and awesome.
MMMMM, depends, only time i switch to a Yellow compound(m2) is when the track has a blue groove, any other time is blue(m3), and by the looks, tazers are for a blue groove conditions, they would load up when the track is wet, i tried a set of M3 Blockades at the byrons race last year, their good when theirs little dust on the track before it blue grooves, any worse than that, run Calibers. But im not a huge fan of PL tires,

I feel Jconcepts rubber has more overall traction, they wear different too.

But just ask colton, no need to buy all these tires if you have a fast, team driver that allready knows what tires work when. Or tell someone a tire that works in X conditions when really a different tire works in X condition.

But thats my take, take it or leave it.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nitronut3
MMMMM, depends, only time i switch to a Yellow compound(m2) is when the track has a blue groove, any other time is blue(m3), and by the looks, tazers are for a blue groove conditions, they would load up when the track is wet, i tried a set of M3 Blockades at the byrons race last year, their good when theirs little dust on the track before it blue grooves, any worse than that, run Calibers. But im not a huge fan of PL tires,

I feel Jconcepts rubber has more overall traction, they wear different too.

But just ask colton, no need to buy all these tires if you have a fast, team driver that allready knows what tires work when. Or tell someone a tire that works in X conditions when really a different tire works in X condition.

But thats my take, take it or leave it.
Thanks. That is some very good information. And I will eventually ask Colton for help. I already have the Tazers and Blockades though, so I figure I will try them. Also, on wear, I have a set of PL mashers I've had for 3 years since I had my first car, a stampede, and they still have about half tread. Granted, they are bashing tires, but to me that seems to testify for long wear characteristics. By the way, good job in the 4WD sc class at the JC race. It takes a ton of skill to hang with Wheeler and Hartson (not that I would know).
Old 02-20-2012, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hey Nate, thanks for your help on this. What makes a tire good for blue groove or not good for blue groove?

I ran the PL Holeshots M3 & M2, and AKA Cityblocks M3 last summer for E buggy and they all seemed to work better than others I tried. The bigger the lug on the tire, the worse traction I got, so I kept the tires with the smaller lug. This is why I figured the Tazers would be a good tire for DB, they should wear better than the Holeshots and still get decent traction, is my thought.

Maybe you can answer a question regarding JC tires. I was warned by a few racers last summer that the JC tires wear very quickly in the heat. Are you finding this? Do you like the traction and just deal with the wear or do they wear as well as the other brands and still get better traction?
Old 02-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Slash and Burn
Hey Nate, thanks for your help on this. What makes a tire good for blue groove or not good for blue groove?

I ran the PL Holeshots M3 & M2, and AKA Cityblocks M3 last summer for E buggy and they all seemed to work better than others I tried. The bigger the lug on the tire, the worse traction I got, so I kept the tires with the smaller lug. This is why I figured the Tazers would be a good tire for DB, they should wear better than the Holeshots and still get decent traction, is my thought.

Maybe you can answer a question regarding JC tires. I was warned by a few racers last summer that the JC tires wear very quickly in the heat. Are you finding this? Do you like the traction and just deal with the wear or do they wear as well as the other brands and still get better traction?
I dont know where you herd that, but thats not true, only time JC rubber can wear really fast when its hot is when u run a softer compound than the track requires,
But other than that ive had excellent results with tire wear vs traction.
JC= no compromises,
Nice to see Gosch on JC outside as well this year.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:20 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

what is your general/favorite go to JC tire at DB's Nate? I really liked subcultures in blue.

I know it changes for larger events when the groove comes up.

Last edited by Trevor Williams; 02-20-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Slash and Burn;10356319]Hey Nate, thanks for your help on this. What makes a tire good for blue groove or not good for blue groove?

small and large lug tires work good at db's. it just depends on when the track is blue grooved(not to often) or when the track is damp,dusty and completely blown out. Dan Walters runs knuckels(large lug) and alot of people still run K2's which are a large lug as well. it seems like every big race when the track blue grooves I always strap on the m3 holeshots but for the most part I like to run large lug/pin tires.granted their not gonna be as fast as a revolver,city block,i beam etc but to me they are easier to be consistent and alot more forgiving when you get out of the race line and for me that happens quite often lol. and i either run soft or super soft. the wear is just something your gonna have to eat!
Old 02-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Not the tire questions again. No, not the tire opinions. Not that
Old 02-20-2012, 05:30 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

haha!
Old 02-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Trevor Williams
what is your general/favorite go to tire at DB's Nate? I really liked subcultures in blue.

I know it changes for larger events when the groove comes up.
Blue/Green Hybrids, Love that tire, but if i had to choose, id say blue compound.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by speedy G
Hey, Just tryin to help,
I know what works, colton knows what works, You know, Dan, etc...
maby someday they will just learn to ask instead of just thinking of what might work
Old 02-20-2012, 05:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

cool, glad you knew what I meant as I forgot to put JC in their, I edited my post...haha!

Nate...who's got a used Xray 808 gascar for sale?

Gomez....be nice....not everyone is a guru like you ya know..lmao!
Old 02-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by speedy G
considereng tires is like 90% of setup I think its a pretty substantial topic to talk about. maybe some newcomers planning on racing here this year might need some advice as well. but seriously is any general nitro talk, bad talk? bring on more discussions please...can't wait to be running at db's again...jus sayn!

you gotta figure out what works best for you. running outdoor is alot more inconsistent than running at smac.I got 2 sets of tires for smac and like over 13 sets for outdoor.you might change your tires 3 or 4 times in one day at db's. dont worry so much what others use. different cars, and track conditions that are constantly changing, just buy a few sets,large and small pin and figure out which ones you like the best and go from there. jmo

here's a few new tires i'm gonna try out this year.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:50 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

run what the a-main expert guys are running, it's that simple
Old 02-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

i agree to disagree with that. when your a expert amain driver you can run fast tires that would seem alot more inconsistent to the less experienced drivers. they also stay in the racing line alot more where those tires may not get loose. the average driver on the other hand might have a difficult time trying to go fast and stay consistent with some of those "fast" tires. I remember Wheeler running the vp pro blades in the front and axeman in the rear and I tried it and they were alot faster but it was alot harder for me to drive. so I stuck with what worked best for me which was axeman on all fours. jmo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.