Wiki Posts
Search

Will 21.5 Brushless be the new stock?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 04:26 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brian McGreevy
Except that takes money away from the track's shop. If I were a track owner I'd never tell my racers to go buy stuff online from Hobby King instead of what I stock. I would try and stock a wide variety of stuff to suit budgets as best as possible, though.
Thats key, most independent tracks will have some sort of affiliation with a store / supplier, they may spruke themselves as members owned and independant but the relationship is there, tell tale signs are every 2nd driver being 'sponsored' or the same title sponsor on almost every event thus showing an obvious financial relationship, the store is there for one reason, to make money, if people are not sending new racers to him they are not making him money.

You will find very few stores willing to offer any advice that's not linked to selling an item they happen to carry. I remember it well starting out going to a track wanting a car I can race with and was offered a Yokomo CGM Shaft Drive kit thing, most expensive mistake I made in the hobby and almost drove me away for good. The right advice would have been invaluable at the time, but it won't come from the bloke behind the counter unless it results in a sale. They're there to make a buck, but isn't that why all of us "work"?
Old 12-14-2016, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
I hear what your saying and it's all valid points but I sure hope your not the first person a walk-in visitor talks to at the track . Lol
Until a person has been bitten by the rc bug the numbers are scary to hear and if spoken in the wrong way sound more like " I'm rich and can blow as much as I want on toys" . Let the new blood get into the hobby first they will soon figure out how much money you/we have in your rolling hobby shops as they start looking to upgrade their beginner equipment for better equipment
When I first started in 1991 I brought all entry level stuff am radio, 15 min
peak charger and batteries spent around $520 except for the kit is was an
team associated on-road 10L kit that was recently released, it was all for
street bashing, I was invited to come and spectate a Saturday race, and
your right I was bitten by the rc bug, I soon realize I needed to upgrade
my equipment to be competitive.

You are correct there are cheaper alternatives to buy, I suggest that anyone
who gets started make a list and buy something every pay day if possible,
most people who are involve with RC earn a decent income...LOL, you don't
have to be rich to enjoy rc racing. Think about it we live in a value society,
when people see value in a product they will wait in line to buy the next
hottest I-Phone, Tesla car and etc...

People may have the money but may not see the value in spending that
type of money on a rc car, our sport needs more advertising, I was just
watching Drone racing on ESPN and it was the world championship, drone
rc community has great marketing...if we could get ESPN, FOX or some
top broadcast network to televise a major rc race people would be
interested...after seeing drone racing I was very interested...they even
advertise tryouts to become a drone racer that is great PR.

Does anyone have connections in the broadcast industry? nationwide
exposure is needed and you'll be surprise how many people will pay
TOP dollar when they see the value...
Old 12-14-2016, 05:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ivan Dickson
When I first started in 1991 I brought all entry level stuff am radio, 15 min
peak charger and batteries spent around $520 except for the kit is was an
team associated on-road 10L kit that was recently released, it was all for
street bashing, I was invited to come and spectate a Saturday race, and
your right I was bitten by the rc bug, I soon realize I needed to upgrade
my equipment to be competitive.

You are correct there are cheaper alternatives to buy, I suggest that anyone
who gets started make a list and buy something every pay day if possible,
most people who are involve with RC earn a decent income...LOL, you don't
have to be rich to enjoy rc racing. Think about it we live in a value society,
when people see value in a product they will wait in line to buy the next
hottest I-Phone, Tesla car and etc...

People may have the money but may not see the value in spending that
type of money on a rc car, our sport needs more advertising, I was just
watching Drone racing on ESPN and it was the world championship, drone
rc community has great marketing...if we could get ESPN, FOX or some
top broadcast network to televise a major rc race people would be
interested...after seeing drone racing I was very interested...they even
advertise tryouts to become a drone racer that is great PR.

Does anyone have connections in the broadcast industry? nationwide
exposure is needed and you'll be surprise how many people will pay
TOP dollar when they see the value...
Traxxas seem to advertise everywhere except in RC events. They sponsor a whole bunch of non-RC events.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Traxxas seem to advertise everywhere except in RC events. They sponsor a whole bunch of non-RC events.
True, I wonder why they don't sponsor a sanction RC race? There focus is on
there product only (RTR)...
Old 12-14-2016, 06:16 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

True, I wonder why they don't sponsor a sanction RC race? There focus is on
there product only (RTR)...
They know where the money is at. Sure they could sponsor any RC event they wanted. But that too limited to them. They want the outsider. The first time impulse buyer. I've worked a NHRA event for them twice. $20-30k in a 2-3 day event. Couldn't touch that an RC event that only attracts people already in RC.
I've watched few rounds of the drone racing. Not sure how that's gonna do long term. It's still taped and edited. The racing is cool. But doesn't quite translate to TV. The FPV stuff looks great. But still just 4 guys sitting at a table. Then again people watch poker on TV.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
They know where the money is at. Sure they could sponsor any RC event they wanted. But that too limited to them. They want the outsider. The first time impulse buyer. I've worked a NHRA event for them twice. $20-30k in a 2-3 day event. Couldn't touch that an RC event that only attracts people already in RC.
I've watched few rounds of the drone racing. Not sure how that's gonna do long term. It's still taped and edited. The racing is cool. But doesn't quite translate to TV. The FPV stuff looks great. But still just 4 guys sitting at a table. Then again people watch poker on TV.
WOW! They make that much money in 2 - 3 day event, that's insane!

Only time will tell how long drone racing will be around...
Old 12-14-2016, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

Don't know why and how but RC Racing TV seems to be doing fine by the number of watchers in the Youtube channel. Okay, not every event is the calibre of the Euro 1/8 IC championship, but I am sure there are equally important and sizeable events in the US and elsewhere. Perhaps there is need to get the sponsors on board.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:48 PM
Tech Lord

People like to have a modelcar of their favorite driver or team. While the RC racing scene has to pay a lot of roalties to make a body of a certain car Traxxas has bought itself in as main sponsor to get all the rights to downscale all the real cars. Beside the regulair RC drivers they also reach the non RC drivers.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:01 AM
Tech Prophet

Itsa sight to see. Wallets fly open from people that have never considered buying an RC. Some weekends they have exhibitions going at multiple events.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:14 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by niznai
Don't know why and how but RC Racing TV seems to be doing fine by the number of watchers in the Youtube channel. Okay, not every event is the calibre of the Euro 1/8 IC championship, but I am sure there are equally important and sizeable events in the US and elsewhere. Perhaps there is need to get the sponsors on board.
Who's watching. Mostly likely the hardcore racer. Not the casual RC owner. Or those of us that are deep in hobby, but don't race.
While I've just barely stepped in to racing. I've loosely followed it. Local and big events. It's so far removed from the rest of the hobby. I watched some of the live coverage from Las Vegas over summer. 8 days of racing 7 days of qualifying. From camera angle not a single spectator visable. Or the touring car events held in ballrooms. The crowd is made up of only other racers. You could spend a day at average hobby store asking customers to name a pro RC driver. You probably get more answering" I didn't know there were pro RC drivers". Then to get a name.
While it's great to read discussions like this. In a way threads like this turn outsiders away. I ran in 21.5 class this summer. But till this never really realized how different 21.5 motors could be. And for someone considering giving it a try. They'd be left even more confused about what to use. Instead of just buying a basic system. Also if they are lucky enuff to have a track close enuff to even give it a try.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Who's watching. Mostly likely the hardcore racer. Not the casual RC owner. Or those of us that are deep in hobby, but don't race.
While I've just barely stepped in to racing. I've loosely followed it. Local and big events. It's so far removed from the rest of the hobby. I watched some of the live coverage from Las Vegas over summer. 8 days of racing 7 days of qualifying. From camera angle not a single spectator visable. Or the touring car events held in ballrooms. The crowd is made up of only other racers. You could spend a day at average hobby store asking customers to name a pro RC driver. You probably get more answering" I didn't know there were pro RC drivers". Then to get a name.
While it's great to read discussions like this. In a way threads like this turn outsiders away. I ran in 21.5 class this summer. But till this never really realized how different 21.5 motors could be. And for someone considering giving it a try. They'd be left even more confused about what to use. Instead of just buying a basic system. Also if they are lucky enuff to have a track close enuff to even give it a try.
Does it matter? If it clocks up the views on youtube, I guess not.

There are many sports where it is not the spectators that count but the TV rights.

I watch the various Euro series because they are captivating to watch.

That said, I am not sure I have seen anything made by Traxxas that I would be interested in purchasing. But I do see them present in just about any shop I visit, the world over. Kudos to them.

Can't remember any body shell they make either. I think Tamiya is a better example of dedication to making faithful replicas of real cars and in one form or another they are too present in every shop I have seen, be it plastic models or something R/C. Quality is also way above anything Traxxas and I am sure they made plenty of money from suckers like myself who just like their beautiful shells.

Last edited by niznai; 12-15-2016 at 06:08 AM.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
Does it matter? If it clocks up the views on youtube, I guess not.
If the goal is to get more exposure to attract new racers, then it matters if the only people watching are already racers.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gigaplex
If the goal is to get more exposure to attract new racers, then it matters if the only people watching are already racers.
If that is the primary goal of any sport broadcasting operation, they are doing a lousy job.

I think the goal is to offer entertainment to whatever niche market one has identified and hopefully sell some stuff. If more people are lured into the sport, great, but don't count on it.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I think Traxxas has got it right to some degree. When I first started into RC I actually wanted to race 1:1 cars, but being a family man money was very limited (null for racing). I seen a RC car on TV (Traxxas 4-Tec) and decided to get one to play around with. Little did I know I would break all kinds of things with the speed it produced, so to the hobby shop I go for parts. I happened to go on a day they were racing in the parking lot and I was hooked. I ended up spending more money for a nitro TC3 because the Nitro 4-Tec was not made for competitive racing at all, but Traxxas is the one who walked me through the door.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Ok, so, what's the new stock motor??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.