Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Drift Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Glad this thread is back alive too!!!! I'm in the process of build the Mother of All Mothers Drift E10. I have been ordering parts from Hong Kong, Australia, and Philippines today so hopefully everything comes in next week! I picked up my ESC and Motor today thats going to run my car, going to use the Castle Creations Short Course Truck Combo. I run in it 4 other of my cars and it's a solid, smooth 4pole motor that only cost's $95 new.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Haven't had a chance to read through the entire post yet, so thought I'd try asking a few newb questions;

what size brushless motors do people like for aspalt drifting?
hpi t-drifts or raikou drift tires?
anything you wish you had known before starting out?

I've got a t2 009 I picked up used and am collecting parts for it (still need a esc, it came with a 17.5t Novak SS)
Old 02-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KennyManz
I think it sent you a PM but if it didnt. We use a roadmate portable track. I dont know how much it cost as it was gifted to the team.
Actually that's a Road Rails track system. http://www.raceroadrails.com/index.asp
Have had mine for almost 10 years and still great for drifting, VTA and 17.5 TC.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Check it out countersteer police drift chase! haha

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wilke
Check it out countersteer police drift chase! haha
too cool! keep em
Old 02-28-2011, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Nice. Friend of mine is selling a Yokomo drift car. Manual says it's an MR4TC-SD CM, and Apex RX-7 body. I actually have it at my house right now, been thinking about buying it from him. Is it a decent platform? Just something for me to play with because my wife will be so pleased if I own one more RC car LOL. Far as I know we don't have any competitive drifting around here.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by cjtamu
Nice. Friend of mine is selling a Yokomo drift car. Manual says it's an MR4TC-SD CM, and Apex RX-7 body. I actually have it at my house right now, been thinking about buying it from him. Is it a decent platform? Just something for me to play with because my wife will be so pleased if I own one more RC car LOL. Far as I know we don't have any competitive drifting around here.
the Yokomo is a great car, its so good, I got 2 of em Its a good place to start for drifting and its a purpose build drift car. The downside of Yokomo is expensive parts and generally only available online. Its definitely good for inside the house sliding and bashing
Old 02-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Tech Master

Thanks. I used to race MR4TC SD and their fuel cars on-road, so I'm already familiar with the availability of parts and helpful customer service in the US. Great cars, but I did get tired of having to drag $500 parts with me. I think I'll probably keep this one to play around with. Our LHS is in a shopping center with a large asphalt parking lot, and I know it's pretty slick and smooth 'cause I've run other cars on it.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Quick question. Looks like torque is the key for a drift motor? I see guys talkign about 4 pole motors and running low Kv 1/10 motors, 3300 or less generally?
Old 03-01-2011, 07:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by cjtamu
Quick question. Looks like torque is the key for a drift motor? I see guys talkign about 4 pole motors and running low Kv 1/10 motors, 3300 or less generally?
yes high torque is preferred, but the hard plastic tyres also help to reduce friction on them so it really comes down to how you gear it. Running the 4 pole motors isnt necessary, but 3300 is a good place to start... Ive gone as low as 2000 (tamiya black can) all the way to 7800, with the big motors you just end up tuning down the EPA anyways.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

Have to buy new gear to run it anyway, so might as well get the right equipment from the start.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Looking to buy my 1st drift car. Isthe hpi drift car a good starting point or will I not like it?
Old 03-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

hpi is not bad, there are a couple of modifications that need to be made if you are drifting outside where it is susceptible to getting pebbles/gravel stuck in the rear diff casing. Benefit is that it is a belt driven car so if you are considering countersteer drifting then it is easy to modify. There has been a lot of people modifying these cars lately so there are options if you want to advance in to rc drift world.

Personally i recommend a Tamiya TA05, with some drift tyres it will drift pretty good out of the box with some minor adjustments. With so many companies making hop ups and upgrade kits for this car it really is quite versatile and can grow with your drifting needs. And if you get sick of drifting, the ta05 makes a pretty good TC race car. Really it comes down to what your LHS has support for, and which brand you like.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by boza
hpi is not bad, there are a couple of modifications that need to be made if you are drifting outside where it is susceptible to getting pebbles/gravel stuck in the rear diff casing. Benefit is that it is a belt driven car so if you are considering countersteer drifting then it is easy to modify. There has been a lot of people modifying these cars lately so there are options if you want to advance in to rc drift world.

Personally i recommend a Tamiya TA05, with some drift tyres it will drift pretty good out of the box with some minor adjustments. With so many companies making hop ups and upgrade kits for this car it really is quite versatile and can grow with your drifting needs. And if you get sick of drifting, the ta05 makes a pretty good TC race car. Really it comes down to what your LHS has support for, and which brand you like.
good info.. im actually in the same process and the previous poster.. ive got my little micro rs4 that i do my drifting inside with now.. i have always been an hpi fan and was looking at doing the sprint 2 drift.. a buddy of mine got a cyclone, what are your thoughts on this as a platform to build?

I will most likely end up with the HPI sprint 2 drift mainly because all my hpi cars have been great, but ive not seen many CS mods being done to the sprint 2.

last question... you referred to CS drifting as if it were a totally different type of drifting... does doing a CS mod change the physics of the car that much?
Old 03-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by VenomousSVT
good info.. im actually in the same process and the previous poster.. ive got my little micro rs4 that i do my drifting inside with now.. i have always been an hpi fan and was looking at doing the sprint 2 drift.. a buddy of mine got a cyclone, what are your thoughts on this as a platform to build?

I will most likely end up with the HPI sprint 2 drift mainly because all my hpi cars have been great, but ive not seen many CS mods being done to the sprint 2.

last question... you referred to CS drifting as if it were a totally different type of drifting... does doing a CS mod change the physics of the car that much?
glad you found it helpful. CS is achieved by changing the front and or rear gear drive ratio. It effectively makes the rear wheels spin faster than the front wheels, so it always trying to run away from you. Which will make the car more twitchy and harder to drive depending on the CS ratio. The idea is to make it more realistic because you're always Counter-Steering the drift to keep the rear from running away. It does make the car more difficult to drive to perhaps you may want to consider traditional 50/50 drifting before starting this. If you want more info, just google "rc countersteer drift" and im sure you will find many useful links.

The cyclone is a good CS chassis, there has been a lot of mods done by many people to CS it so the options are already there. Most touring cars make good drifters with some patients and tuning.

Sprint 2 seems to be versatile in mods, just PM me and I can send you in the right direction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.