Wiki Posts
Search

Rims...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brian McGreevy
Soviet...stick your hand out of your car window at 30-35 mph and tell me there isn't a very strong force from the air against it. If it's strong enough to influence your hand then it'll certainly do the same for an R/C car...especially one with a body designed to take advantage of air as a fluid.
Thanks a lot Brian!
Next time please warn us that oncoming cars may be an issue!
We take things very literally here!

j/k
Seriously, I'd love to see a test in a wind tunnel for some of these bodies.
Attached Thumbnails Rims...-cast.jpg  
Old 12-21-2005, 02:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by scoobydo
Thanks a lot Brian!
Next time please warn us that oncoming cars may be an issue!
We take things very literally here!

j/k
Seriously, I'd love to see a test in a wind tunnel for some of these bodies.
Yeah, I caught a speed limit sign and let's just say, they don't have any give at 35mph...

Old 12-21-2005, 02:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Let's shrink this down even further and discuss golf balls. The dimple patterns and number of dimples affect how the ball flies, so an RC car body that is 50 times larger definitely will affect how the air is moved around it.

Nice arm. I told you to loosen the grip on that controller.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

All joking aside, I got that from when I slapped Soviet, but he has such a hard head that it broke my arm

Last edited by ChadCapece; 12-21-2005 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stiltskin
Let's shrink this down even further and discuss golf balls. The dimple patterns and number of dimples affect how the ball flies, so an RC car body that is 50 times larger definitely will affect how the air is moved around it.

Nice arm. I told you to loosen the grip on that controller.
Golf balls have initial velocities of almost 200 mph. Aerodynamics have much more effect on a golf ball, but the concepts are still relevant between the two.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChadCapece
All joking aside, I got that arm from when I slapped Soviet, but he has such a hard head that it broke my arm
Old 12-22-2005, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
A mazda 6 and a Parma ALFA handle completely differently and have a vastly different shape. Now a LOSI Alfa is different than a PARMA, which is different than a PROTOFORM. See, someone can tell me they don't feel different, but PHYSICS says they will, and oddly, physics doesn't lie. So if they make no difference to you then your car is too slow to exploit the differences.

You don't have to shrink air, air is a constant force, and the bodies we run make downforce in varying degrees, Some one needs a wind tunnel to prove the naysayers that these things really do make a difference. At 10 MPH it's not a whole lot, so if your cars that slow it won't make a difference, but at 35 mph your TC's punching a bigger hole in the air than you realize, and that air has to flow around the body.

You don't care because you can't tell the difference, and therefore you think you're right.

Less than 10% total car handling....I'd bet my life.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

i wish i can test my car's aerodynamics in a wind tunel

that way i can REALLY get into exact down forces and air flows of my car
Old 12-23-2005, 02:03 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TryHard
Actually, over here in the uk last year, some mates of mine got into a conversation with Craig Drescher over wheels. One interesting comment he said was that he found spoke wheels to give more steering than dish... guess what happened at the next meeting, loads of people running spokes (Proline attacks look good... but i always prefered the multi-spokes )
Ed
couldn't agree with you more. With our freezing weather and low grip tracks sometimes spokes or very soft dish rims are the only way to go. Torc RD12 at stafford, I did some testing with pre-glued cs22s and cs22s mounted on proline attacks with CSM inserts. In other words the only variable was the wheel. The pre-glueds gave a general lack of steering and rear end traction (it was about 5C*!) whereas witht he proline attacks grip was endless, but wear was worse. In the heats and races everyone else on pre-glueds were just easy picking, they only got some decent grip towards the end of the meeting as we started to see some sun