Like Tree488Likes

Tamiya TA07 pro

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 04:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking Motor Positions!

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
The moveable motor mount is cool, but how often do you actually move the motor around? Do you regularly reconfigure the motor position, or do you set it once and leave it that way?
Not very often, I've tried all three positions and the middle position seems to be my favorite. Depending on where you want the weight in the motor will change handling!
The most stable is the front position, most aggressive is in the rear. High traction track rear position, low traction front position, medium traction middle!
Just my 2$

Last edited by maxepower; 04-18-2018 at 04:42 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-18-2018, 08:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I change it based on how I want weight to transfer from front to back. When I was racing on carpet I had the motor in the center position. On asphalt I have it in the rear position. The simple fact that I can do this with little effort is what is so great. If you guys are not using this to help change your weight transfer profile, you are missing out on a really cool feature.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:05 PM
Tech Regular

Interesting about the effect of motor position on the handling, it seems opposite ot offroad which is rear motor a low grip track and further forward for high grip. Badically rear motor hasn't been competitive for a few years but most race kits still have the option.

Can anyone enlighten me about this?

My TA07 currently has the motor in the rear position and it can be tail happy at times so will try the other motor positions.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Not really sure where you are getting the idea that it has the opposite effect.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:02 PM
Tech Elite

I got the first four hours of build into my car tonight. So did my buddy. A thread forming tap is a wonderful thing, as all the plastics are at least hard, if not fiber or carbon filled.

I'm building my car mostly stock save an aluminum servo mount, a front spool, and aluminum motor mount brackets. Oh, and the manual says to use 900 weight oil in the diffs, I put 7k in the back to go with the front spool. (that seems to be "the right ballpark, for black carpet)

The plastic steering setup, is almost entirely slop free. Shockingly slop free.

I was disappointed, I actually had a parts tree that needed flashing removed. The one that had all the suspension mounts on it.. that die was definitely getting old. That's a first, in any tamiya kit I've assembled.

My friend picked up a TA07r, as opposed to my TA07 Pro. He bought all the stiff parts, carbon bits, etc... so we're going to get to do a direct comparison between the cars. The white belt is definitely lower drag.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

believe it or not i only make 3 changes to my car to run on black carpet to medium traction asphalt. i only run my car at the tcs races. it is awesome.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cpal
believe it or not i only make 3 changes to my car to run on black carpet to medium traction asphalt. i only run my car at the tcs races. it is awesome.
Are you prepared to share those changes? My club usually runs carpet but is trialling asphalt to run both at the moment,
jneezie3000 likes this.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Friday night at midnight I finished my second ta07 pro for the Las Vegas tcs race... Car worked great in the b and didn't bump to the show due to driver error... Then I won the ta07r in the raffle... Debate 3 cars, vra, gt, and 17.5 it sell a pro i'm about 300 into all three. Will be building the type r this week.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Talking Motor Position

Originally Posted by jgil089
Interesting about the effect of motor position on the handling, it seems opposite ot offroad which is rear motor a low grip track and further forward for high grip. Badically rear motor hasn't been competitive for a few years but most race kits still have the option.

Can anyone enlighten me about this?

My TA07 currently has the motor in the rear position and it can be tail happy at times so will try the other motor positions.
Motor position 2 has become pretty much the position to run on any type of surface
Old 04-23-2018, 04:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnn27
Motor position 2 has become pretty much the position to run on any type of surface
Has anyone tried motor position 1
Old 04-23-2018, 06:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by tboned_2002
Yes, I've tried them all. Front position gives more steering in the front but less stability in the back specifically when the car rotates. Middle position gives most neutral feel with good amount of steering and back traction. Hind position gives more rear end grip but gives less steering in the front.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nubs
Yes, I've tried them all. Front position gives more steering in the front but less stability in the back specifically when the car rotates. Middle position gives most neutral feel with good amount of steering and back traction. Hind position gives more rear end grip but gives less steering in the front.
What track Speedworld, NorCal or Ripon
Old 04-23-2018, 10:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

What track Speedworld, NorCal or Ripon
Most of my testing was at Ripon.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I tried this position this past weekend at Norcal Hobbies parking lot track in San Jose CA. I did get a lot of steering out of it(which I like)but I did not like the carbon stiffeners on the front and rear. I prefer the plastic. Felt too stiff for me. The car did improve a lot up to the main(just lack of battery power). But with the David Jun rear suspension set up, the rear was pretty stuck to the point I do not have to sauce the tires. I was running 34 Team Powers tires all day. At the end, I was please with this motor position.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JoeyE
I tried this position this past weekend at Norcal Hobbies parking lot track in San Jose CA. I did get a lot of steering out of it(which I like)but I did not like the carbon stiffeners on the front and rear. I prefer the plastic. Felt too stiff for me. The car did improve a lot up to the main(just lack of battery power). But with the David Jun rear suspension set up, the rear was pretty stuck to the point I do not have to sauce the tires. I was running 34 Team Powers tires all day. At the end, I was please with this motor position.
What is the Jun Rear end setup? Pic?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.