Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEW XRAY T2

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

with the solid one way, when you let off, you get the one way effect, but the wheels are locked toghether. its the same as running a font spool with a center one way. if there is an advantage, i couldnt tell you. most people dont run this setting.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Thank you. This setting looks very interesting.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Anyone know when this spool might be released?
Old 08-28-2006, 05:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quick setup question here.

After looking at many carpet setup (FK, FK05 and T2), It seem to be better to run with a higher roll center (block in a high position) with foam on high bite surface. The manual says the same as well.

Now, why the RDX need the low roll block to perform better on foam?

I'm running an Xray but I'm trying to figure the difference.

Thanks
Old 08-28-2006, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by srw_g
The front multi-diff can be set to three mode:
1. standard one-way
2. solid one-way
3. full-time solid axle

But I don't konow the detail info of solid one-way. What‘s it? What's the difference with full-time solid axle? What's advantage of it? Thanks.
Short answer is:

1. One-way
-- corner entry - high steering
-- corner exit - low/medium to medium steering (depending on ackerman setup)
2. Solid one-way
-- corner entry medium to medium/high steering (depending on ackerman setup)
-- corner exit - high steering
3. Solid axle
-- corner entry - low steering
-- corner exit - high steering

More explanation:

The solid one-way provides almost the same effect as a standard one-way off-power as the cars weight shifts forward. It slightly reduces the steering effect since both wheels can't free wheel at their own pace. This causes the outside front wheel, which is loaded, to rotate at the same speed as the inside wheel and therefore it loses just a little bit of grip. However, the free-wheel action of the locked pair of wheels is what provides more steering than a standard diff.

An added benefit to the solid one-way when going off-power is that the car doesn't veer as easily to one side if you do use a little brake.

On-power is a whole different story. Here, the solid one-way is basically a spool. Keep in mind that a lot of the cars weight has now shifted to the outside rear wheel.

With a standard one-way, the outside wheel (turning a larger arc around the corners) tends to use the torque of the drivetrain more efficiently since it is more loaded than the inside wheel and there is no diffing action to transfer power to the inside wheel. This is why a lot of drivers experience an on-power push when using a one-way. This push can be minimized if you reduce the ackerman effect and increase your transmitter EPA/Dual rate to compensate. With this configuration, the outside wheel will be able turn a tighter arc all the way to full lock, without the inside wheel turning too much and causing the car to *swing* around it with oversteer as it digs in mid corner.

With a solid one-ways on-power spool action, both front wheels work together to *pull* the car in whatever direction you point it. On-power steering increases, as well as the front ends reaction to steering corrections from the driver. You can also keep the off-power steering at a medium/high level if you make the same ackerman & EPA/Dual rate changes mentioned above.

geeunit1014 hit the nail on the head. The solid one-way basically provides the same action as a front spool and center pulley one-way combination.

Last edited by teamgp; 08-28-2006 at 06:12 AM.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by J@UNE
Quick setup question here.

After looking at many carpet setup (FK, FK05 and T2), It seem to be better to run with a higher roll center (block in a high position) with foam on high bite surface. The manual says the same as well.

Now, why the RDX need the low roll block to perform better on foam?

I'm running an Xray but I'm trying to figure the difference.

Thanks
The key here is the cars static weight distribution. You need to focus on:

1. Whether the car has a front or rear weight bias
2. How high the weight is at each end
3. How far away from the centerline the weight is at each end.

This will determine the best front and rear roll center combination.

Added edit:

If you need more steering for your T2, but the rear seems to already be skittish, then you might try using a larger spur/pinion to move the motors weight forward. You may have to slightly lower the rear roll center using the upper camber link as well. I use a PRS 120t (64p) spur, which doesn't stick out the bottom of my chassis.

Last edited by teamgp; 08-28-2006 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

If I'm going to be racing on a tight carpet track would I benefit from picking up the sway bar kit? Should I get the front and back kits?

What diff is most common and best for tight carpet tracks? Ball, one way (multi) or spool? My first assumption would be the spool. Yes, no?
Old 08-28-2006, 10:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

foam or rubber?
Old 08-28-2006, 11:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by geeunit1014
foam or rubber?
Oops! Foam.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlamMan
Oops! Foam.
Well 99% run ball with foam on carpet. I have never scene a top level racer that runs a one way on carpet with foam tires.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks!

What situations do you most often see the Multidiff or Spool run in the T2?
Old 08-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SlamMan
Thanks!

What situations do you most often see the Multidiff or Spool run in the T2?
Here in The Netherlands we all use the Multidiff configured as Spool on the outdoor asphalt tracks with rubber tires. Indoors (carpet, but not with the high grip as in the US) with rubber tires it varies between spool and one way. The big advantage of spool is the higher stability of the car and the ability to break.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Just finished up a T2, my first X-Ray, and I noticed the Jaco foams are ever so slightly rubbing the steering block and ball ends of the tie rods. Is this normal or did I do something wrong? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jim Rufiange
Just finished up a T2, my first X-Ray, and I noticed the Jaco foams are ever so slightly rubbing the steering block and ball ends of the tie rods. Is this normal or did I do something wrong? Thanks in advance.
Hey Jim, being a Carolinian, where do you plan to run carpet with those foams, lol??

Just grind or cut a hare off of the steering block, the outer point isn't a soft spot and won't effect durability.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Well, not sure! Rosewood and Thunder Road once fall hits. I am going to Vegas though, so that should be a good time.

Thanks for the input. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't done something wrong that would be causing the rub.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.