Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 05:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ive always run with the double diff set up just wana test to see how a 1way feels like but this might not be the right car to test it
Old 09-06-2004, 06:22 AM
Tech Adept

I managed to win a stock A final using the one-way but it was a pain in the ar$e to drive. Very twitchy.

The car is much more stable with the diff, but this is only on a indoor carpet track. I did try it outdoors (tarmac/rubber tyres) and the car was undriveable. Put a diff in and it was OK.

Try it one day in practice, you might like it, personally I have never liked using one ways but some people like running them. Just don't hit the brakes!
Old 09-06-2004, 06:49 AM
Tech Regular

ok thanks i'll try the 1way never really used the brakes even on a dual diff set up
Old 09-06-2004, 08:09 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Default Re: gears

Originally posted by scorpia
hi,

i am running a Evo 3 SK. with the tc3 gear mod done .

I was wondering how other people feel about this mod to fix the one-way problem as i am about to replace the gears shortly when i do a rebuild.they are 6 months old and starting to show some signs of wear.

I race in stock class and have found that it has fixed the problem for me.Although i am my no means a good driver as i am probably in the bottom 1/3 of the class.

One on my biggest complaints with the mod is the final gear ratio being higher than standard it does make gear selection even harder.

Does anyone have any comments etc.
Thanks
Scorpia
Iīm sorry I never liked that TC3 gear mod. Two reasons.

1. the TC3 oneway-gear is very different and uses a completely different tooth shape. This works with the little TC3 bevel gear but not very good with the EVO3 bevel gear. This adds additional friction and noise.

2. the TC3 oneway-gear uses a different number of teeth. This means you also have to use a TC3 gear for the rear diff otherwise you will have different gearratios front and rear and this also effects the handling of the car.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:22 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Originally posted by work
ive read replacing the front stock gearbox with the square gearbox fixes the 1way stripping problem but what about if you place another square gearbox in the back? Would it free up the drivetrain or would it just add weight?
Iīm also using the Square gearbox and really like it but it doesnīt help too much regarding the oneway gear problem.

Using the Square gearbox frees up the drivetrain as there is a perfect fit for the bearings. Using another one for the rear as I do frees up even more.
Additional you will have a much stiffer chassis as the Square gearbox doesnīt bend as the stock one.

I think the best fixes for the gear problem is using a frontdiff or going for a Jürgen oneway as this is made as with the TC3.

For additional help Iīm using an additional bearings in the front plastic block (A8?) and the lightweight shaft. But I have to say the lightweight shaft doesnīt made any difference to me. I never broke a gear again after using the Jürgen oneway and the additional bearing. I just went for the new shaft as itīs a little lighter.
I now replaced the onewaygear after one year of use because of wear.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I agree with Liam. I also run on a very tight indoor track and I have found running with the 2 diff setup works the best. I have the added protection of the longer prop shaft and the Sqaure gear boxes front and back. since using this setup I have not had any gearbox problems and the car runs very free. The only place I would use the oneway (or spool) would be on a large outdoor asphalt track.
As far as breaking parts in hard impacts the only part I have had trouble with are the hinge pins, they tend to bend easy. But I would rather change these more often than break the suspension parts that the Losi, Associated, and HPI drivers are always replacing in crashes that aren't even that hard.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

hey guys.
i was testin the evo3 with the new evo4 one way gear [aluminium] and didnt av any probs.
i put a 0.1mm shim on the one way so it pushed the gear into the input gear and two .1mm shims behind the input gear.
the transmission is smooth and more reliable.
ths was using standard plastic gearcases.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:12 AM
Tech Adept

Just a quick Q

What bodyshells are people finding work well on the Evo 3?

I'm using the Titan Mazda 6 and P/F Stratus 2. Prefer the Mazda indoors and the Stratus 2 outdoors.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default bodies

since I've made the switch to the Protofrom Mazda 6, I haven't used anything else. Very neutrual body all the way around

vic
Old 09-06-2004, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally posted by Liam_Davies
Just a quick Q

What bodyshells are people finding work well on the Evo 3?

I'm using the Titan Mazda 6 and P/F Stratus 2. Prefer the Mazda indoors and the Stratus 2 outdoors.
I like the Mazda 6 but for this fall/winter indoor season I might try the Parma Alpha or the New Tamiya Subaru Legacy
Old 09-06-2004, 09:25 AM
Tech Adept

I want to try the Losi Alfa and the P/F Caddy.

Someone at my local track tried the PD Alfa (UK version of Parma Alfa) and hated it, then went back to the Losi Alfa.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally posted by trf racer
hey guys.
i was testin the evo3 with the new evo4 one way gear [aluminium] and didnt av any probs.
i put a 0.1mm shim on the one way so it pushed the gear into the input gear and two .1mm shims behind the input gear.

is there a corresponding aluminum pinion gear for the E4 one way gear?
Old 09-06-2004, 10:23 AM
V12
Tech Elite

There is no aluminum pinion gear . But I donīt think two aluminium gears would work that good.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally posted by trf racer
hey guys.
I was under the impression that the EVO4 ring gear has a different number of teeth?
Old 09-06-2004, 10:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default gears

why not, sparks would look sweet coming from the front of it!! LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.