Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 09:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default haven't tried it, but . .

I would think that the aluminum one way gear would just wreak havoc on the bevel pinion. I only run stock motors, and the best fixes I and others have found are: Jurgen one way or spool, Speedtech spool and shimming

vic
Old 09-04-2004, 09:50 AM
Tech Master

hey guys,got back from the ko grand prix held at the west london racing center [wlrc] in the uk.
all saturday and sunday i was using the 415 with low friction belts new lw suspension and some other hop-ups.
the car felt good but i knew it was missing that sort of feeling.
so anyway at the end of saturday i had it going pretty good.
so onm to sunday for the 1st four qualifiers for monday.
the 1st round of mine i started last and was winning and was on for a tq place then the body started vibrating bad.
massive understeer.
when we gt back to the pics one of the tyres come unglued.
this was causing the vibrations.
2nd round and we were winning again then the grip just went.
the problem?tyres overheating from two rounds.
now we were using cs22 like everyuone as there the only tyre to use to be competitive.even when the track temp was above 35oc.
but they onlylasted one run.
so 3rd and 4th round we improved 3rd rond to a 17 lapper then the 4 th round got us a 18 lapper.
tq was 20 laps bt only to people got a 20 lapper.
the rest of the top ten gt 19 and 18.
in the evening i knew the car still wasnt there and with one more qualifier on the monday then the three finals i know i had to try some other things.
so thinner shock oil and lihter springs were put on for sunday evening practice.
then i cliiped a board and the motor mount bent.
so that was the 415 weekend over.
so all sunday night i was getting the evo3 ready.
on the monday morning practice started.
so i took the car out and the temp was a low 10oc.
so the car didnt feel good.
i made some changes to springs and shock angles and left it for the last qualifier.
when our heat started the evo3 felt so good.
it was hooked more then the 415 had ever been all weekend and we improved on the 415 best time still an 18 lapper but the time was much better.
this was 10th for the c final.
so finals started and it rained for round one so full wets were put on with a lowered roll center and very soft springs.
in this rain we came 2nd and my first time in rain.
the 2nd leg and starting tenth again we finished 3rd.
all going gud considering our grid position and the competitiveness in this final.
so to the last and 3rd leg.
we made a gud start upto 2nd.
we needed to come 5th or better to finish in the top 3 overall.
we were 2nd then i clipped a curb and the car rolled.
i rejoined in 6th.
i was right on 6ths tail and trying to pass.
bt time ran out.
so we finished 4th overall.
considering that drivers like adam hampton [center point team driver whos made a mains before] i think we did well.
our first time at this track and everyone in front and behind us has raced at this track at least 3 times b4.
the evo3 set up was

front/rear

springs;blue/yellow
shock oil;40/40
shock position on damper;outer/outer
shock position on wishbone;outer/outer
camber;1.5/1.5
camber link position;middle/middle
camber link spacers;5mm/0mm
everything else kit.
no anti roll bars.
cs 22's with yokomo soft inserts.
use fastrax yellows to get more life fronm tyure.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Check this out, do you think its a misprint or something? Cause its really cheap.

http://www.allspeedhobbies.com/catal...roducts_id=629
Old 09-05-2004, 02:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default gears

hi,

i am running a Evo 3 SK. with the tc3 gear mod done .

I was wondering how other people feel about this mod to fix the one-way problem as i am about to replace the gears shortly when i do a rebuild.they are 6 months old and starting to show some signs of wear.

I race in stock class and have found that it has fixed the problem for me.Although i am my no means a good driver as i am probably in the bottom 1/3 of the class.

One on my biggest complaints with the mod is the final gear ratio being higher than standard it does make gear selection even harder.

Does anyone have any comments etc.

Thanks
Scorpia
Old 09-05-2004, 03:22 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by work
Check this out, do you think its a misprint or something? Cause its really cheap.

http://www.allspeedhobbies.com/catal...roducts_id=629

just 30 screws or so...
Old 09-05-2004, 03:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

hey guys I am buying an Evo III with the Surikarn conversion, and I was wondering about mods to do to it
Old 09-05-2004, 10:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)
Default Re: gears

Originally posted by scorpia
...i am running a Evo 3 SK. with the tc3 gear mod done .

I was wondering how other people feel about this mod to fix the one-way problem as i am about to replace the gears shortly when i do a rebuild.they are 6 months old and starting to show some signs of wear...
hi there scorpia can you describe how to make the TC3 gear mod? do you have a link? im running an evo3 in our tight outdoor track and everytime i hit the wooden barriers head-on, it seems that the 1-way gear chips easily. thanks in advance for any info
Old 09-06-2004, 01:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: gears

Originally posted by marvi
hi there scorpia can you describe how to make the TC3 gear mod? do you have a link? im running an evo3 in our tight outdoor track and everytime i hit the wooden barriers head-on, it seems that the 1-way gear chips easily. thanks in advance for any info
i found the mod at first from this list but i can never find it again in the 200+ pages . so here is the bookmark

http://members.cox.net/randy316/

I think i have heard people saying that the transmission is not as free after doing this mod. Also remember that it changes the diff ratio to 2.66:1 ( i think)

it seems to fix the stripping of the front oneway gear. but i have busted some of the small bevel gears with this mod.

As i purchased the car with the mod done i was wondering how other people have found it.

Scorpia
Old 09-06-2004, 03:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by kumpol
just 30 screws or so...
yeah but i saw it on another site go for $44
Old 09-06-2004, 04:03 AM
Tech Adept

I only run stock motors, and the best fixes I and others have found are: Jurgen one way or spool, Speedtech spool and shimming
Best fix I found was to buy a diff to go in the front! TB-02 diff slots straight in!

Not only is it easier to drive but it puts in quicker laps round my local track - which is a small indoor carpet track. I have never done any damage to any diff gears since!

Liam
Old 09-06-2004, 04:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally posted by Liam_Davies
Best fix I found was to buy a diff to go in the front! TB-02 diff slots straight in!

Not only is it easier to drive but it puts in quicker laps round my local track - which is a small indoor carpet track. I have never done any damage to any diff gears since!

Liam
yup, they share the same thing.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:31 AM
Tech Regular

ive read replacing the front stock gearbox with the square gearbox fixes the 1way stripping problem but what about if you place another square gearbox in the back? Would it free up the drivetrain or would it just add weight?
Old 09-06-2004, 04:35 AM
Tech Adept

To be honest I would just put in the new longer propshaft (have a look back through the pages of this thread), which meshes the bevel gear closer to the one-way. It can still strip gears, but it takes a much heavier crash to do it.

I would imagine that the longer propshaft (only 2mm longer I think) would be cheaper than the Square gearbox.

Liam
Old 09-06-2004, 04:40 AM
Tech Regular

i have the new lightweight shaft but a dual diff set up afraid of ruinning my 1way i'll try to shim my diffs before i run it
Old 09-06-2004, 04:44 AM
Tech Adept

I run a diff setup and have never had trouble with the gears.

To be honest I thought the car was crap with the one-way in compared to the diff.

I race on a track with big barriers which shatter Pro 4's and Brokomo's in many pieces; although my Evo 3 has only ever broke 2 one way gears and one rear wishbone in a fair few months of racing. Compared to the Pro 4 guys who go through a few knuckles and wishbones a night!

I've never seen anyone strip gears with a 2 diff setup

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.