Search
Like Tree54Likes

BSR Racing BT4 Budget Touring car kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 03:50 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by E1 Diablo
Just purchased the ARR version. Only $30 more than the kit and includes, servo, esc and motor.

Anyone know if the included servo is okay for racing? TrackStar TS-D99X 10kg servo
I'm using the 21.5 RTR version for USGT. Only tires and gearing change. Stock servo been solid to me.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
I'm using the 21.5 RTR version for USGT. Only tires and gearing change. Stock servo been solid to me.
Good to hear. The servo specs look solid.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:29 PM
Tech Prophet

Good to hear. The servo specs look solid.
Honestly never really looked at specs on servo. Just went with it how it was. Here's from my last race. I made a mistake with gearing, it worked but was wrong. But still ran solid.

https://youtu.be/QdHHdsH46ls
E1 Diablo likes this.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:14 AM
Tech Regular

I have a question about the springs. The kit came with 30N springs, 25mm uncompressed length. I like stiff front springs, but I needed softer in the rear as I have lost of oversteer. I bought the springs from HK’s BT-4 parts section, but these are, although softer, only 20mm uncompressed length. Why? On my Tamiya racers I had equal lengt hall around, I read somewhere shorter front springs can help reduce oversteer, but now I have short soft springs in the rear and long stiff ones in the front. Doesn’t sound right.
I found my Tamiya springs don’t fit, what springs / spring set do you guys run? I considered to upgrade to TRF damper set with spring set, but I don’t want to spend that now.
While looking for springs on the HK site, I also saw the progressive damper insert set. Any thoughts on that?

Cheers,

Hugo
Old 07-19-2017, 05:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HugoW
I have a question about the springs. The kit came with 30N springs, 25mm uncompressed length. I like stiff front springs, but I needed softer in the rear as I have lost of oversteer. I bought the springs from HK’s BT-4 parts section, but these are, although softer, only 20mm uncompressed length. Why? On my Tamiya racers I had equal lengt hall around, I read somewhere shorter front springs can help reduce oversteer, but now I have short soft springs in the rear and long stiff ones in the front. Doesn’t sound right.
I found my Tamiya springs don’t fit, what springs / spring set do you guys run? I considered to upgrade to TRF damper set with spring set, but I don’t want to spend that now.
While looking for springs on the HK site, I also saw the progressive damper insert set. Any thoughts on that?

Cheers,

Hugo
You may want to try installing a sway bar set if you haven't already installed one.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:52 AM
Tech Regular

I just did and it helps. What bars are you running? I have 1 in the back and 1,3 in the front. BTW, I run a very long asfalt track.

Hugo
Old 07-19-2017, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HugoW
I just did and it helps. What bars are you running? I have 1 in the back and 1,3 in the front. BTW, I run a very long asfalt track.

Hugo
I just ordered my kit a couple days ago. I have not received it. I did buy sway bars and connectors when I placed the order. I bought the thinnest possible sway bars. I'll be running on a tight track. Front: 1.2 and Rear 1.1
Old 07-19-2017, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Honestly never really looked at specs on servo. Just went with it how it was. Here's from my last race. I made a mistake with gearing, it worked but was wrong. But still ran solid.

https://youtu.be/QdHHdsH46ls
Good run. Great to see such an inexpensive car compete! Tighten up those lines!
Old 07-19-2017, 11:02 AM
Tech Prophet

Good run. Great to see such an inexpensive car compete! Tighten up those lines!
m.

I just try to be little better each week.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:26 PM
Tech Prophet

Race day #7. Practice only. Limited turnout

https://youtu.be/g4ajjDv9y48

Was trying 37/75 gearing. Still not quite right.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Qatmix
In-depth BT4 review here
Hobbyking BSR BT-4 Build tips and Review BT4 | The RC Racer
Thanks, I really love your reviews. They're very helpful, especially the race experience, since there's a strong idea that you need to spend a lot of money to do well, and you regularly disprove that with budget cars like this one, the Xi Sport and the TT02.

With that said, I'd like to get into racing, most likely VTA as that's the most popular class at my "local" track. Would you choose this car over the TT02 or the Xi Sport?
Old 07-28-2017, 07:06 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Raketemensch
Thanks, I really love your reviews. They're very helpful, especially the race experience, since there's a strong idea that you need to spend a lot of money to do well, and you regularly disprove that with budget cars like this one, the Xi Sport and the TT02.

With that said, I'd like to get into racing, most likely VTA as that's the most popular class at my "local" track. Would you choose this car over the TT02 or the Xi Sport?
I'm using mine for USGT. Think last year there was a Sakura running. Honestly wouldn't even consider the tt02. I actually chose to use the BT4 over my Serpent and XRay.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:29 PM
Tech Regular

I race my BT-4 in a really fast local class (10.5T motors, timing of my motor is at 47 degrees). I compete against XRays, HBs, and other big name cars. And th BT-4 holds up, although I cannot drive well enough yet. In the hands of one of our better drivers it goes really well. The only mods out of the box I have are adding sway bars, softer rear springs, mandatory tires for the class I race and a Protoform Mazda body. I run a cheap esc, the XCar from HobbyKing reprogrammed with HobbyWing firmware, and the TrackStar 10.5T motor. I have the cheapest car on the track, it is one of the fastest on the straight and in the hands of a good driver it is certainly A-final material.

Cheers,

Hugo
Billy Kelly and massenb203 like this.

Last edited by HugoW; 07-29-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks guys, that’s great to hear.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:40 PM
Tech Prophet

Race day #8. Practice and 3 rounds.

https://youtu.be/pnRlMgxVq1c

I think it's time to try switching to 64p gearing. Just can't seem to get it right. I was able to put drive a car running much quicker laps again. But I'm tired of being 2 seconds off pace. So far I've used 33,34,35/69 and current 37/75.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.