BSR Racing BT4 Budget Touring car kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 08:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Race day #8. Practice and 3 rounds.

https://youtu.be/pnRlMgxVq1c

I think it's time to try switching to 64p gearing. Just can't seem to get it right. I was able to put drive a car running much quicker laps again. But I'm tired of being 2 seconds off pace. So far I've used 33,34,35/69 and current 37/75.
You won't gain 2 seconds by switching to 64 pitch gearing. What motors are the faster guys running? Are you still using the RTR motor? The motor can make a big difference.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:18 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
You won't gain 2 seconds by switching to 64 pitch gearing. What motors are the faster guys running? Are you still using the RTR motor? The motor can make a big difference.
Most are using Speed Passion systems

I know gearing is off. And that's what's been confusing me. Started FDR of 3.75. And over first 6 races I moved closer to 4.0. Better in the corners, but lost all straight speed. Found the gearing chart in this thread couple weeks ago. That when moved to 37/75. It drives better, but still stuck in same time range.

Something just seems wrong that I'm faster with my F1 with a 25.5 then USGT with 21.5. Gearing seems like starting point.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:23 PM
Tech Champion

Most are using Speed Passion systems

I know gearing is off. And that's what's been confusing me. Started FDR of 3.75. And over first 6 races I moved closer to 4.0. Better in the corners, but lost all straight speed. Found the gearing chart in this thread couple weeks ago. That when moved to 37/75. It drives better, but still stuck in same time range.

Something just seems wrong that I'm faster with my F1 with a 25.5 then USGT with 21.5. Gearing seems like starting point.
If your FDR really is that far off to cause a 2 second deficit, the slightly finer increments of 64 pitch isn't going to be the fix. You'd need to be in the right ballpark before you'll be able to take advantage of the finer increments. Something else must be at play.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:42 AM
Tech Prophet

If your FDR really is that far off to cause a 2 second deficit, the slightly finer increments of 64 pitch isn't going to be the fix. You'd need to be in the right ballpark before you'll be able to take advantage of the finer increments. Something else must be at play.
This is when being able to practice would really help. There are only 2 of us still using 48p. The other is the guy chasing me. And I can't use his gearing combo. I don't think even if I could expand the slides that a 40t pinion will fit.

That's the other question I've been trying to figure out. With multiple ways to get the same gear ratio, is thst part of it.

I'm not really expecting a 2 second jump. Just some kinda of improvement.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:43 AM
Tech Champion

This is when being able to practice would really help. There are only 2 of us still using 48p. The other is the guy chasing me. And I can't use his gearing combo. I don't think even if I could expand the slides that a 40t pinion will fit.

That's the other question I've been trying to figure out. With multiple ways to get the same gear ratio, is thst part of it.

I'm not really expecting a 2 second jump. Just some kinda of improvement.
What FDR is the other guy using? And is he using the same motor? If not, there's not a lot of point trying to match their FDR.

Putting in a 40T pinion with your current spur would give you a ratio of around 3.56. If it doesn't fit, you could just use 37/69 to get a similar ratio. The 34/69 combo you ran before gives basically the same 3.85 ratio as your current 37/75. In 64 pitch, you'd get a similar result with 47/95. What ratio are you trying to achieve?
Old 08-02-2017, 07:26 AM
Tech Prophet

What FDR is the other guy using? And is he using the same motor? If not, there's not a lot of point trying to match their FDR.

Putting in a 40T pinion with your current spur would give you a ratio of around 3.56. If it doesn't fit, you could just use 37/69 to get a similar ratio. The 34/69 combo you ran before gives basically the same 3.85 ratio as your current 37/75. In 64 pitch, you'd get a similar result with 47/95. What ratio are you trying to achieve?
Right now I'm open to try about any gear combo.

Think I found part of problem. To fit the 37t pinion I had to sand down the front motor mount. It broke free. By switching to 64p, bigger pinions now fit without altering motor mount. Only got quick run across parking lot but seemed to roll better.

I'd consider trying a better motor for next year. . Only 7 races left, then most likely 8 months till we start up again at end of May.

If I was to buy new, better motor. What would you suggest. Makes my head hurt trying to read the USGT thread. It's info overload with the motors. Trinity, motiv, on and on.

Last edited by Billy Kelly; 08-02-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:42 PM
Tech Champion

Right now I'm open to try about any gear combo.

Think I found part of problem. To fit the 37t pinion I had to sand down the front motor mount. It broke free. By switching to 64p, bigger pinions now fit without altering motor mount. Only got quick run across parking lot but seemed to roll better.

I'd consider trying a better motor for next year. . Only 7 races left, then most likely 8 months till we start up again at end of May.

If I was to buy new, better motor. What would you suggest. Makes my head hurt trying to read the USGT thread. It's info overload with the motors. Trinity, motiv, on and on.
You need to figure out whether you're overgeared or undergeared to know which direction to move the FDR. Gearing for lap times gives better results than gearing for the straight, even if it is a bit disheartening getting passed on the straight. You may need to adjust motor timing too. Are any of your local racers able to help you sort it out? It's much easier seeing it in person than discussing online.

If you had to make modifications to fit the 37/75 combo you should have just stuck with 34/69. Only the final FDR matters, it doesn't matter what size gear or what pitch you use. Changing pitch won't magically let you use larger diameter pinions, you need a smaller diameter spur to do that. If you've already switched to 64 pitch, keep an eye on the gear mesh as it's a lot more finicky and likely to strip if not set correctly.

As for the motor, the top ones change too frequently to make a recommendation 8 months in advance. That said, Team Scream seems to be the popular choice at the moment.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:59 PM
Tech Prophet

You need to figure out whether you're overgeared or undergeared to know which direction to move the FDR. Gearing for lap times gives better results than gearing for the straight, even if it is a bit disheartening getting passed on the straight. You may need to adjust motor timing too. Are any of your local racers able to help you sort it out? It's much easier seeing it in person than discussing online.

If you had to make modifications to fit the 37/75 combo you should have just stuck with 34/69. Only the final FDR matters, it doesn't matter what size gear or what pitch you use. Changing pitch won't magically let you use larger diameter pinions, you need a smaller diameter spur to do that. If you've already switched to 64 pitch, keep an eye on the gear mesh as it's a lot more finicky and likely to strip if not set correctly.

As for the motor, the top ones change too frequently to make a recommendation 8 months in advance. That said, Team Scream seems to be the popular choice at the moment.
I'm not concerned about the hot motor of the month club. I'll never get that serious. I've been kind of curious about Trinity. Seems to be the popular brand at the track north of me. As much as I'd like to go try the place. Haven't been able to convince myself it's worth the cost of the drive up.

The group is helpful. But like most that have been racing for long time, seem to misunderstand what seem like simple questions. I ask what gearing, I get 3.7 or such. Ok. There are a dozen combos to get that gearing.

Now that my F1 has the bugs worked out, I'll try to get some assistance this weekend. It's gotta be something simple I'm missing.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:32 PM
Tech Champion

The group is helpful. But like most that have been racing for long time, seem to misunderstand what seem like simple questions. I ask what gearing, I get 3.7 or such. Ok. There are a dozen combos to get that gearing.
They're only giving numbers like 3.7 because it doesn't really matter what combination you use to get there. It's best to find the right ballpark ratio and pick the combo that places the motor in the middle of the mounting range. That way it's easier to go up or down by changing pinion without having to change the spur.

It's possible that you've overheated your motor at some point which may have weakened the rotor. If you can find someone generous enough, try borrowing one of their motors and run it with the same FDR they do. See if you get similar speeds. Just keep an eye on temps, the only thing worse than overheating your motor is overheating a friend's motor.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:03 PM
Tech Prophet

They're only giving numbers like 3.7 because it doesn't really matter what combination you use to get there. It's best to find the right ballpark ratio and pick the combo that places the motor in the middle of the mounting range. That way it's easier to go up or down by changing pinion without having to change the spur.

It's possible that you've overheated your motor at some point which may have weakened the rotor. If you can find someone generous enough, try borrowing one of their motors and run it with the same FDR they do. See if you get similar speeds. Just keep an eye on temps, the only thing worse than overheating your motor is overheating a friend's motor.
I suppose it's possible that motor got hot sometime over the past year. Even after long runs just out running, motor has rarely been what I'd call warm. Last race it barely broke 100 degrees after running basically full throttle. Guy running behind me motor was running 140 degrees.

I've got another vehicle with the Speed Passion system. I'll see how first race goes. Would not take much to swap systems.

I've spent more time looking at gearing charts in past 3 months then last 6 years.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

For the record I was running 64 pitch and switched over to 48 pitch for durability reasons in 17.5 and 21.5 touring cars (Xrays for me). There is no difference in performance....
gigaplex likes this.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:55 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by SouthFloridaApp
For the record I was running 64 pitch and switched over to 48 pitch for durability reasons in 17.5 and 21.5 touring cars (Xrays for me). There is no difference in performance....
I figure it can't hurt to try. I was the holdout running 48p. 2 others started summer but switched after couple races. They seemed to like the change. I don't expect miracles, but I'm the only car that hasn't run in the 12 second range on current layout. Even the car chasing me last race was running laps under 12 seconds. Not consistently enuff to get past me.

I knew this year would be a learning curve. It can't hurt to try. If doesn't help or seem right I'll switch back. I know it not just gearing, use of brakes is next to work on. Right now, after the first couple laps, I can run almost the full 6 minutes without ever using brakes.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Billy,

Ask a friend to do some practice laps with his 64 pitch car. This will prove my point to you. With all do respect, if you are asking about the proper brake tuning for your car that means to me that you have not fully figured out your car. I am trying to save you money. Also, I went to a big race and got nailed from behind. My 64 pitch spur got destroyed. I travelled 200 miles and did not get to finish the race. I am happy with 48 pitch gears because the Spurs are beefy/durable. The window to set the mesh is larger/easier as well. This is my opinion and I am in the minority regarding the use of 48 pitch gears....
Old 08-03-2017, 05:51 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by SouthFloridaApp
Billy,

Ask a friend to do some practice laps with his 64 pitch car. This will prove my point to you. With all do respect, if you are asking about the proper brake tuning for your car that means to me that you have not fully figured out your car. I am trying to save you money. Also, I went to a big race and got nailed from behind. My 64 pitch spur got destroyed. I travelled 200 miles and did not get to finish the race. I am happy with 48 pitch gears because the Spurs are beefy/durable. The window to set the mesh is larger/easier as well. This is my opinion and I am in the minority regarding the use of 48 pitch gears....
Thanks. Get what your saying. Was actually suprised to see someone suggesting staying with 48p. I've got the 48p gears with me. It's a quick swap back. I bought a bunch of 64p stuff for couple other vehicles, figure I'll try.

Yes. Braking is next on list. I got crashed out before one round last week. Sitting at start line, he was doing practice lap. I did get to watch the 2 fast guys go 1 on 1. Their ability, both car and driver, to use brakes is above mine currently. After test run this morning I clearly see that braking is currently not right. Even compared to my other touring cars. Going to have to find out what brakes are set at on esc.

I set out to try to use a box stock RTR in a race class. Other then gearing and tires. It's how it came. I've accomplished that. It can and has taken multiple bangs and bumps. Other then a stripped spur gear. No parts broken.

I've gone from being 10 laps off leader to 4 on average. I've proven to myself that I can drive. Now it's time to improve car.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Billy,

Based on your previous post I would say you still have room to improve with your driving. I would also say you should focus on free changes to your car right now. Shock positions, ride height, camber, toe, roll centers etc....Hudy has a good manual for on this. I will add shock oils and diff fluid...nominal cost...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.