Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree142Likes

VBC Lightning FX

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 04:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sbd
Very nice!! Where you got the upper pivot ball holders from?
the ref is TRG Adjustable Upper Arm Set Link Type For Tamiya F104 #TRG5123
Old 06-04-2018, 06:13 AM
sbd
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Ph3nyx
the ref is TRG Adjustable Upper Arm Set Link Type For Tamiya F104 #TRG5123
Thank you, very useful info!
Old 06-06-2018, 08:15 AM
Tech Regular

You're welcome , otherwise you certainly can use the exotek front arm set
F104 / TRF102 ADJUSTABLE FRONT ARM SET v3 - Exotek Racing
Old 06-08-2018, 02:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

A very good feeling with this new top front arms (TRG style) , only need 4 standoff (be carefull with the direction turnbuckle there is not much space) . The car feels more stable and predictive

how you take caster measurement with that ? this setup seems very useless for me, the stock configuration works very well and moore user friendly.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:44 AM
Tech Regular

i use a setup station for 1/10 touring car
for me the stock configuration is ok but have too much play on the upper arms. But the main flaw for me is the upper arm outer cup . it can be ripped off to easily. It's ok if you run gently for fun around a track, but for a race car ... not strong enough.
vadersing and Fredp1 like this.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

I run mine on CRC black carpet and race it each week without any issue... for the upper cup you just need to remplace the stock 4x20mm turnbuckles by Lunsford 4x23mm and you probably never snap it again !
Old 06-09-2018, 09:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i use a setup station for 1/10 touring car
for me the stock configuration is ok but have too much play on the upper arms. But the main flaw for me is the upper arm outer cup . it can be ripped off to easily. It's ok if you run gently for fun around a track, but for a race car ... not strong enough.
I agree with you.

I was really impressed with the design of the FX18...bought one and was very disappointed with the quality of the parts, especially the plastics. Perhaps it's not designed for the average racer like me who would occasionally bump another car or drive up a corner marker.

Personally, I wouldn't race this car, as it doesn't give me the assurance that I can push the car, and still complete the race. It could be fast when you are running your own race during qualifying, but racing in the mains could expose its vulnerability.

I am sure many racers out there are willing to pay a little more to receive better quality materials with this kit.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I haven't had any major problems with the front arms on my FX18. I have stripped a couple of the upper ball connectors, but I've never broken an a-arm.

As others have noted, using slightly longer turnbuckles is necessary to get more thread engagement to avoid stripped ball connectors and a-arms. If you're running low camber with the stock turnbuckles you won't have many threads inside the plastics.

Tip for extra thread engagement: increase the spacer thickness between the a-arm mounts and the bulkhead. This will push the a-arms further out allowing more thread contact. Stock spacers are 2.5 mm, but I'm now using 4 mm spacers. The front end is quite solid with this spacer trick and 23 mm turnbuckles.
Markus likes this.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:58 AM
sbd
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nm143
I haven't had any major problems with the front arms on my FX18. I have stripped a couple of the upper ball connectors, but I've never broken an a-arm.

As others have noted, using slightly longer turnbuckles is necessary to get more thread engagement to avoid stripped ball connectors and a-arms. If you're running low camber with the stock turnbuckles you won't have many threads inside the plastics.

Tip for extra thread engagement: increase the spacer thickness between the a-arm mounts and the bulkhead. This will push the a-arms further out allowing more thread contact. Stock spacers are 2.5 mm, but I'm now using 4 mm spacers. The front end is quite solid with this spacer trick and 23 mm turnbuckles.
All this are good tips. I also had not in my kit nor it is anywhere in the manual the spacer below the upper bulkhead and lower part. It is very serious omission as without it the kit is basically non functional. One wanders if anyone at VBC have ever tried to put together and run the car from the kit and instructions included.... Very sad as the rear of the car is quiet innovative....
Tim Neja likes this.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The spacer has been missing from the manual since the introduction of the FX. Disappointing

Last edited by Fredp1; 06-10-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default My FX18

Just wanted to share my freshly rebuilt FX18. Changed some weak parts out.

1. TRF Short Big Bore shock from TRF419X
2. Yokomo touring car spring (Black)
3. Xenon spur
4. Ceramic diff balls
5. ARC Ball Cups
6. 4mm x 23mm titanium turnbuckles
7. Montech F13 body shell

Old 06-18-2018, 09:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sbd
All this are good tips. I also had not in my kit nor it is anywhere in the manual the spacer below the upper bulkhead and lower part. It is very serious omission as without it the kit is basically non functional. One wanders if anyone at VBC have ever tried to put together and run the car from the kit and instructions included.... Very sad as the rear of the car is quiet innovative....
I spoke with the owner of vbc on this missing spacer and was told this time it is not a mistake. The fx18 does not use the spacer
Old 06-18-2018, 01:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AlexPate
I spoke with the owner of vbc on this missing spacer and was told this time it is not a mistake. The fx18 does not use the spacer
i find this response a little disconcerting without an explanation as to why there is so little thread engagement when built to the manual specs. I'm a little tired of replacing stripped ball ends from nothing more than bumps in traffic.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Iv'e raced the FX for 3 months now and NEVER experienced any difficulty with the front end? I'm not sure what you are describing? Do you have a picture of what you are talking about?
Old 06-19-2018, 01:40 PM
sbd
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by AlexPate
Then it is bad engineering - the M4 turnbuckle should be 3-4 mm longer. I can see the reason for not using the spacer - larger chamber gain and its legitimate. But the turnbackle needs to be longer in such case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.