Search
Like Tree829Likes

World GT-R Rules and Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 01:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JimBo1008
The Nissan GTR shell is 195mm and the chassis is 200mm.
Looks nice, rear wheels don't seem to protrude to much from the body! I am thinking of doing something similar but either with JConcept LMP body or WRC LMP body. The main problem is the fact these bodies are 190mm wide only, I guess a bit too narrow for the rear width of a 200mm pan car with CRC rubber tires
Old 12-03-2017, 02:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

What is a good servo for my crc wgtr car? I need a smooth option
Old 12-03-2017, 04:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kmas
What is a good servo for my crc wgtr car? I need a smooth option
Best to go over to the CRC WGT-R string to see past conversations about servos.

Otherwise, I love the KO Propo RSx 12 servo and JR3650 servos I am using on my two cars. They center well and are very smooth.

Bill
Old 12-04-2017, 08:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just got my first set of WGT- R tires. WHY did they make them such a BIG DIAMETER?? The front tires are HUGE!! The rears are like non-cut down foams--but they should be 1/4" smaller diameter front and the rears could be smaller too!! I've had to add big spacers under the front end to drop the ride height!! Geez, WHY???? It should be EZ to convert from foam to rubber--and bodies will be a problem to fit as well. WHY didn't CRC make the right diameter tires??
Old 12-04-2017, 09:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tim Neja
I just got my first set of WGT- R tires. WHY did they make them such a BIG DIAMETER?? The front tires are HUGE!! The rears are like non-cut down foams--but they should be 1/4" smaller diameter front and the rears could be smaller too!! I've had to add big spacers under the front end to drop the ride height!! Geez, WHY???? It should be EZ to convert from foam to rubber--and bodies will be a problem to fit as well. WHY didn't CRC make the right diameter tires??
Tim,

CRC did make properly sized tires for WGT-R. And the WGT-R bodies are different from the WGT bodies to accommodate the larger tires.

Looks like you need to do some research into the differences between WGT and WGT-R. I suggest that you thoroughly read the two threads about WGT-R in the Electric On-Road forums to understand the tire and body sizing issues related to converting a WGT over to a WGT-R car. I initially did the conversion of my first CRC WGT car and it went pretty smoothly...after I read Dumper's helpful posts about going that route.

Are you planning to use it for WGT-R on the carpet at TQ in Chino? Used to occasionally run WGT there; but, didn't know that they were running WGT-R these days.

You can PM me if you need help with your car conversion.

Welcome to WGT-R.

Bill
NutDriver likes this.

Last edited by Still Bill; 12-04-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Pssst... they're F1 tires.
el salvador likes this.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Funny how someone decides to join a class that’s more than 3 years old and comes to the revalation that the architects of said class and tires messed up. 🙄
Old 12-05-2017, 09:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default Tires

I agree that it would be nice to have smaller tires but it is what it is. Now that I've run the class for a while I don't have any problem with the larger tires and they seem to last forever.
theflyingrc likes this.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:59 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the explanation Bill, but it still makes NO sense!!! Going to rubber tires should NOT REQUIRE a HUGE change in the WGT cars?? WHY?? What does it accomplish other than making it HARD on the guys that ran WGT to convert to rubber? Seems we don't have that large a participation in RC on road that making it a PIA for another class makes sense??? I'm okay with rubber tires if people want them--but it could have been a LOT smoother change for a fun class instead of painful!!
Old 12-05-2017, 08:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What huge change. On the older CRC SE car you added 8 2-3mm spacers in the front and rear.Put on the tires and a ton of bodies at one time to chose from (when HPI was making bodies). We still have more bodies to chose from than with WGT. It is a fun class for many of us racer here in Florida. No more ride height adjustments and no tire truing and the tires last longer.
hobbyten and Tim Neja like this.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:19 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BullFrog
What huge change. On the older CRC SE car you added 8 2-3mm spacers in the front and rear.Put on the tires and a ton of bodies at one time to chose from (when HPI was making bodies). We still have more bodies to chose from than with WGT. It is a fun class for many of us racer here in Florida. No more ride height adjustments and no tire truing and the tires last longer.
Those simple changes are all I've done to my SE to run rubber tyres

The rubber rules use tired and tested rubber compounds that grip and wear well. Plus they never get close to any gluing problem. All in all they are the best tyre for my favourite class, and hats off to those that set the rules and chose them

Anything as small as thin foams would be a new size and design of tyre. I could speculate on how they might grip and wear, and that a new design would push up costs.

Let's enjoy what we have for a great class. And let's race!
hobbyten likes this.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

just curious who is running the original WGT-R chassis, the F103GT?
Old 12-06-2017, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Thanks for the explanation Bill, but it still makes NO sense!!! Going to rubber tires should NOT REQUIRE a HUGE change in the WGT cars?? WHY?? What does it accomplish other than making it HARD on the guys that ran WGT to convert to rubber? Seems we don't have that large a participation in RC on road that making it a PIA for another class makes sense??? I'm okay with rubber tires if people want them--but it could have been a LOT smoother change for a fun class instead of painful!!
WGT had died in most of the country. The rubber tires were already in production for F1 so it made sense to design a new rim that made it possible to use these tires in another class and raise the production volume. The rubber tires as they are, resurrected the class albeit different. If you want to keep running WGT, go right ahead... nobody is stopping you. Something that you may not be aware of is that you can mount up your own set with the tires reversed which will give you a lower looking sidewall on the outer side of the rim. They look awesome but not sure of any performance gain. One benefit is that the sidewall won't grip the barriers as much which could save on steering knuckles.
99.9% of people running WGT-R are happy to be able to use an existing chassis and keep their investment alive.
Keep in mind that WGT-R didn't kill WGT, it was already dead. If you can still get guys in your area to run foam then great! I'd run both classes since I love pan cars and have 3 200mm GT chassis to choose from.
davidl likes this.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:21 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MarkBurgess
Those simple changes are all I've done to my SE to run rubber tyres

The rubber rules use tired and tested rubber compounds that grip and wear well. Plus they never get close to any gluing problem. All in all they are the best tyre for my favourite class, and hats off to those that set the rules and chose them

Anything as small as thin foams would be a new size and design of tyre. I could speculate on how they might grip and wear, and that a new design would push up costs.

Let's enjoy what we have for a great class. And let's race!
Ok--using an existing tire makes sense. So these are the F-1 tires then? They are narrower than the old foams in the rear. I'll be testing this Friday with them. I'm looking forward to a fun class-- I hope we can get it going here in SoCal.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:32 PM
Tech Adept

The only real change required is raising the suspension and motor plates so you can get ride height. For the pod, I simply run another pod plate cut down as a spacer and in the front, just run more spacers. It would be nice to have a low profile rubber tire that had grip like foam, but the existing Crc tires work fine and last a long time.
davidl and hobbyten like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.