Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree829Likes

World GT-R Rules and Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 12:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Let me start off by saying I'm a big fan of this class. But I can't help to wonder about its future. My biggest concern revolves around the tires & supply. I just shopped & bought a set of tires last week. My normal go to's were out of stock so I went right to the source, CRC. With shipping, they were $84.9x. Now I know that nobody is going to throw their hat in the ring & produce a one make tire for the class but is there a way we could allow other brands? With the use of an F1 axle you could use many different popular brands from Schumacher, Gravity, Exotek... the list goes on and almost all could be had for less that $50, I understand the cost of the axle parts swap but that could be left up to end user. Could we propose that as a rule change/ allowance?
TKW0024 likes this.
Old 03-21-2024, 01:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AsphaltFlyer
Let me start off by saying I'm a big fan of this class. But I can't help to wonder about its future. My biggest concern revolves around the tires & supply. I just shopped & bought a set of tires last week. My normal go to's were out of stock so I went right to the source, CRC. With shipping, they were $84.9x. Now I know that nobody is going to throw their hat in the ring & produce a one make tire for the class but is there a way we could allow other brands? With the use of an F1 axle you could use many different popular brands from Schumacher, Gravity, Exotek... the list goes on and almost all could be had for less that $50, I understand the cost of the axle parts swap but that could be left up to end user. Could we propose that as a rule change/ allowance?
Why would CRC want to do that? They invented the class and did all the development on the tire. There is nothing in it for them to allow other tires.
Old 03-21-2024, 01:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MC Hamilton
Why would CRC want to do that? They invented the class and did all the development on the tire. There is nothing in it for them to allow other tires.
I think most would be happy with a better tire, regardless of the cost, that you could depend on consistently. They have come apart after little run time and batches seem inconsistent for wear/grip. My first set years ago lasted years and now some are lucky to get a couple of weeks. We have already had some switch axles and are running different brands with success as I cant give them any answers or solutions. Mentioned before, but a little transparency about the tires/suppliers/changes would go a long way so we can attempt to re-build the class for next indoor season. I am not alone in this request and may be the only one willing to speak, but its a common question and theme at any track that attempts to run the class.
TKW0024 likes this.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:53 PM
Tech Adept

I asked Dumper in Denver @ Mile High. He acted like it was something I was doing wrong. An $80 set of tires every weekend is going to kill this class quick. Especially when 1 supplier has the only tire
TKW0024 likes this.
Old 03-22-2024, 04:48 AM
Tech Master

I asked Dumper in Denver @ Mile High. He acted like it was something I was doing wrong. An $80 set of tires every weekend is going to kill this class quick. Especially when 1 supplier has the only tire
Dumper has nothing to do with this class anymore. He isn't employed there as of almost a year ago.
Old 03-22-2024, 06:04 AM
Tech Initiate

With Dumper out of the picture. Why would it be any issue to request the right for racers to choose what tires they can use? We have multiple choices when it comes to foam, why not rubber? If everyone is truly wanting to see this class grow and be relavent. Changes must happen! Frank is a business man and should care about imput from the racers even though he's a racer also. He should get where people are coming from. I'm speaking for myself.
Old 03-22-2024, 06:42 AM
Tech Regular

What are you guys possible doing to destroy a set of tires in one weekend? $80 for a set of tires that can make it a season or two still seem pretty great to me. I think some of you are over hyping this a bit.

But if you want to add more manufacturers, be ready for what comes with that. If three suppliers are in, you'll have to own all three sets cause guys will start to mix and match to tune for specific tracks.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:48 AM
Tech Addict

What are you guys possible doing to destroy a set of tires in one weekend? $80 for a set of tires that can make it a season or two still seem pretty great to me. I think some of you are over hyping this a bit.

But if you want to add more manufacturers, be ready for what comes with that. If three suppliers are in, you'll have to own all three sets cause guys will start to mix and match to tune for specific tracks.
I can speak from first hand knowledge that our people are doing nothing. CRC acknowledged there was a problem with some but no solution. Some will last, others after a week have a very soft ring on the inside of the rears and shortly after the tire comes apart. SXT to clean and prep, black carpet, nothing else. You might be lucky to have not had the problem but its very common, starting middle of last season. Not name dropping but its a known issue and causing our class to diminish. The last "big: race I attended a few weeks ago the WGTR attendance was down to 5 and was triple that a year ago. No hype here and would be happy to post pictures and put on public blast but hoping for an answer vs. more complaining.
nik77356, MC Hamilton and TKW0024 like this.

Last edited by dyoung; 03-22-2024 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

Where I haven't had it happen I have seen the issue. 5 track days and a two piece tire. Rear is the most prevalent. This isn't just a WGTR problem either, the F1 tire can do the same.
MC Hamilton likes this.
Old 03-22-2024, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TKW0024
With Dumper out of the picture. Why would it be any issue to request the right for racers to choose what tires they can use? We have multiple choices when it comes to foam, why not rubber? If everyone is truly wanting to see this class grow and be relavent. Changes must happen! Frank is a business man and should care about imput from the racers even though he's a racer also. He should get where people are coming from. I'm speaking for myself.
As far as I know, the CRC wheel is the only one made for the current axle, spindle configuration. The rim is a Tamiya shape so their F1 tires should fit if you can get the rims (recycle your old ones?). A CRC car will accept the F1 axle (pod is identical on the two current cars) and the front spindle is only a axle change to take a F1 front wheel. Other brands may have similar options but I don't know.
Just sayin but not encouraging.
TKW0024 likes this.
Old 03-22-2024, 11:35 AM
Tech Addict

I would love to not have a choice but also would like a fix. We are going down the same path with 12GT now having 3 manufacturers and it will be a mess but without a resolution racers will do what they feel they need to do. I have said from the beginning a resolution is needed then there is no need to look elsewhere.
nik77356, MC Hamilton and old_dude like this.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Is there any way to lengthen the CRC micro shock on the car? Now I take off and use pliers to hold the shaft while twisting the ball cup.

Last edited by Ice45man; 03-23-2024 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-24-2024, 04:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ice45man
Is there any way to lengthen the CRC micro shock on the car? Now I take off and use pliers to hold the shaft while twisting the ball cup.
CRC makes a adapter to convert the 2-56 to 4.40. #3296
Old 04-23-2024, 05:43 AM
Tech Regular

What does everyone think... should it be considered for the body list?

https://www.redrc.net/2024/04/montech-mlgt3-gt10-body/

TKW0024 likes this.
Old 04-23-2024, 06:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

https://www.conceptcarz.com/a12250/t...rs-of-spa.aspx

Looks like a real GT class racer to me, I'd say it should be legal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.