Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

3Racing Sakura D4 RWD/AWD. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 01:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

im so very confused on which chassis to buy, either the rwd or awd. Ive been running a sprint 2 for quite some time now, and have mastered the 50/50 drift. i was always interested in the sakura d3 due to the fact that it has a c/s setup. Does awd car on the d4 chassis also have a c/s setup or is it 50/50? Also, if i got with the awd chassis. can you add a one-way diff up front for the ebrake?
Old 08-26-2015, 12:19 AM
Tech Rookie

So here are some pictures that we just took of the AWD.

We didn't have any issues getting it in line. However, we haven't tested it with a motor yet, so I'm wondering if it comes out of alignment when it spins fast. I did notice that sometimes, the belt will move over closer to the right side of the pulley gears.

Did you guys build your rigs fully stock or maybe added some stuff to it?

At the moment, the only fix I can come up with is to put two larger spacers around the bearing to act as a makeshift pulley (I think someone also suggested that before)

Will try to see if there's an actual pulley unit compatible with it to make an easy fix. If not, we'll have to keep experimenting with it to see what works. Now it's up to 3Racing to notify us back, but they're aware of this situation.
Attached Thumbnails 3Racing Sakura D4 RWD/AWD. Thoughts?-d4-4wd16.jpg   3Racing Sakura D4 RWD/AWD. Thoughts?-d4-4wd15.jpg  
Old 08-26-2015, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AsiaTeesHobbies

We didn't have any issues getting it in line. However, we haven't tested it with a motor yet, so I'm wondering if it comes out of alignment when it spins fast. I did notice that sometimes, the belt will move over closer to the right side of the pulley gears.

At the moment, the only fix I can come up with is to put two larger spacers around the bearing to act as a makeshift pulley (I think someone also suggested that before)

Will try to see if there's an actual pulley unit compatible with it to make an easy fix. If not, we'll have to keep experimenting with it to see what works. Now it's up to 3Racing to notify us back, but they're aware of this situation.
3Racing is definitely aware of this issue. I've been corresponding with them via Facebook for at least a week with no good help. I also emailed them, but I haven't received a response to that.

What size washers did you use?

Interestingly, your kit has a bearing at the rear as well as the front whereas mine had a pulley at the rear. See the photo.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

@ turbotron RWD is a completely different beast than 50/50 or CS. Read up on the RWD RC Drift sites for tips, make sure you have your gyro dialed and a TON of patience. I've been going RWD for about two months now and it is super fun! I have the D4 and an FXX, both are RWD and the are really fun to build and rip around. I keep a CS around because it's fun to switch between because the way you drive each is so different. I'd say get a basic RWD chassis and start from there. There are a ton of resources to learn from online, then practice, practice.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by AsiaTeesHobbies

Hey... Got mine running yesterday... It all went good... I did have my little fix on it, but the belt seemed to stay to the left anyway... One thing I did notice on mine is that the belt appeared to have a fair size twist in it... It's hard to see in the photo though... And mine was put on (by chance) with the twist leaning to the left... Which is the opposite to jatotherippers at least, judging from the photo... So not sure if that's got anything to do with...
Attached Thumbnails 3Racing Sakura D4 RWD/AWD. Thoughts?-image.jpg  
Old 08-27-2015, 03:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Can sorta see it better in this one...
Attached Thumbnails 3Racing Sakura D4 RWD/AWD. Thoughts?-image.jpg  
Old 08-28-2015, 11:00 AM
Tech Rookie

just ordered the AWD and RWD chassis from asiatee's! will post up reviews!
Old 08-31-2015, 05:50 AM
Tech Elite

I received a response from 3Racing. I'm not the only one having alignment issues and their engineers are working on a fix right now. They are going to send replacement parts to current owners as well as update the new kits.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:46 AM
Tech Rookie

I've got my RWD kit up and running and need some setup tips as it's my first RWD drifter.

I need a good tire recommendation for pavement. We run 90% of the time in a parking garage.

I have a 7.5t motor on a 27t pinion (~7 FDR) and I think that may be too much power as well. I actually put some old bald rubber tires on it and was able to drift better than the kit tires.

I also limited the end points on my servo down to about 50% each way to avoid binding, but when I did it seems that the servo didnt want to throw the wheels max lock everytime, just sometimes. I'm thinking about tossing the servo saver from the kit and using a kimbrough or no saver at all.

As far as upgrades I'm eyeing the aluminum spool and some aluminum pullies. The pully on the spool looked a tad bit warped on my kit. Also I dont like the slop in the main pully shaft so I think a few shims are in order.

I'd also like to tighten up the steering, my kit as a bit of slop on the plastic steering parts.

I really need to get the gyro adjusted, find the right tire combo and dial in the motor.

What power plants are you guys using? Anyone running softer tires up front and harder in the back? I'm about to slap some T drifts on it and go from there.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Derigor
I've got my RWD kit up and running and need some setup tips as it's my first RWD drifter.

I need a good tire recommendation for pavement. We run 90% of the time in a parking garage.

I have a 7.5t motor on a 27t pinion (~7 FDR) and I think that may be too much power as well. I actually put some old bald rubber tires on it and was able to drift better than the kit tires.

I also limited the end points on my servo down to about 50% each way to avoid binding, but when I did it seems that the servo didnt want to throw the wheels max lock everytime, just sometimes. I'm thinking about tossing the servo saver from the kit and using a kimbrough or no saver at all.

As far as upgrades I'm eyeing the aluminum spool and some aluminum pullies. The pully on the spool looked a tad bit warped on my kit. Also I dont like the slop in the main pully shaft so I think a few shims are in order.

I'd also like to tighten up the steering, my kit as a bit of slop on the plastic steering parts.

I really need to get the gyro adjusted, find the right tire combo and dial in the motor.

What power plants are you guys using? Anyone running softer tires up front and harder in the back? I'm about to slap some T drifts on it and go from there.
I'm a new drifter so instead of steering you wrong I'm not going to answer most of your questions because I don't know enough.

I will say I have a 10.5T motor in my AWD and it feels slow. I'm moving to an 8.5T if 3Racing sorts out the belt tensioner issues.

For tires on asphalt I was recommended HPI T-Drifts by many. They work well on my AWD.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:53 PM
Tech Rookie

After reading and watching a few rwd drift tuning videos, i got my d4 going well enough altho i ve only been doing donuts in my garage (smooth concret) so far... stock wheels and tires. also tried some angled drift wheels i had.

I set my gyro up and it makes it all work, but for tuning i have limited my downtravel to zero with a ride height initially at 5mm. i drove it and tweaked the spring settings until i got a decent grip for my donuts and speed. using kit springs. the rear sags a bit how i ended up with my spring settings.

My front shocks are strait up i believe on the outer most hole up top, and the back im 3 from the inside (diagnal).

i got the battery in the middle, and 23g weight ontop of the front bumper.

My gyro is mounted on the top deck near my servo.

and my servo is also reduced to 50% approx. one side is less than the other.

another user with 4wheel balance tool suggested close to 50/50 weight front/rear for smooth concrete surface for his best tune on his blog.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Is anybody still having issues with the belts in their build?
Old 09-03-2015, 05:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SagadSetup
Is anybody still having issues with the belts in their build?
Yes.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey jato... Have you tried turning it around...??? I know it's a bit of a hassle... But it may work out...
Old 09-03-2015, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Whitey777
Hey jato... Have you tried turning it around...??? I know it's a bit of a hassle... But it may work out...
I thought about that, but I don't think it will work without modifications.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.