Like Tree61Likes

HPI RS4 Sport 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 04:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Billy Kelly;14239612]
Originally Posted by SagadSetup
That is a good sign. HPI may be responding positively to customer's feedback. As for the upgrades, I would give it a bit more time for the car to "gel" in the market. I won't be surprised if there will be third parties who will come out with upgrade parts for the Sport 3 later on.

My basis for that is the sprint 2. 3Racing, Yeah Racing, and even Exotek came out with upgrade parts for the car.

With the volume of problems, Hpi didn't really have any choice but to assist owners. Time will tell if they actually address the issues or continue selling it with the known problems. Who knows how many are already boxed and ready to ship.
As for the aftermarket supporting it. I just don't know. I've been disappointed by that part of hobby over past few years. Any of the tire companies could have jumped 3 years with tires for the WR8 when Hpi was on a 9 month back order. And no company has yet to offer tires for it now, 3years later. And tires again are in limited suppy.
I'm not saying that nobody will makes stuff for the Sport3. But by time they do, car could be a dead model.
Yes time will tell.

Dead model? I hope not and I don't think so. Again my basis is the Sprint 2. It was around for a couple of years and is still around now. Tower Hobbies still has then for sale.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BrandonB75
Anyone swapped out their ESC and motor to do speed runs with their RS4 Sport 3 Flux? Thinking of going with the Hobbywing 150A ESC and not sure of motor. Wanting to be able to use 6s battery. Can anyone give advice on ESC and motor selection for speed runs? Thanks! BB
Using 6s will make your car undrivable IMHO.

Try Castle Mamba Max Pro with 3s at most. You'll have a lot of fun with that set up. Just be aware that your rotating parts will have a significantly shorter life span and when you uncontrollably hit a curb, there is a possibility that you'll take your car home on pieces.

Anyway, just have fun. It's what this hobby is about.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:14 AM
Tech Rookie

@sagadsetup

Sorry I don't mean hpi option parts, I could of looked that up myself on hpi site. I'm after most common mods with links.

For example if people are using rpm rods, what turn buckles? what upgraded motor esc servo? What cvd's tamiya/spec r?

Links for these would be appreciated
Old 10-27-2015, 08:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by RS4 Guy
I called HPI. From what I explained they said it sounds like a bad motor. So they're sending me a new one instead of having me send the whole car in (considering I just bought it not even a week ago it's appreciated). However, he said they're currently out of stock so he's sending me another motor that he says is the exact same Castle Creations motor but with a different label. They're also sending me upgraded dog bones for the front end. Said it should be here in 5 days.

All in all they were actually very helpful and they sounded like they were well informed of the issues that have been posted on this forum. If you are having problems I'd say give them a call and see what they'll do to help you out.

Lucky you, I had my hpi car for 2 weeks did not use it once. Called hpi distributor to let them know my car has a different parts in my car, also didn't work properly. Told me to check the manual that came with the car, parts are right. I checked the manual different parts. Nothing but headaches. Car doesn't drive properly upgrading everything, with minimal hpi parts
Old 10-27-2015, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bti_jet
@sagadsetup

Sorry I don't mean hpi option parts, I could of looked that up myself on hpi site. I'm after most common mods with links.

For example if people are using rpm rods, what turn buckles? what upgraded motor esc servo? What cvd's tamiya/spec r?

Links for these would be appreciated
Oh I see. All that I'm aware of are the CVDs at the moment.

As of now, Spec-R CVDs are out of stock at TQ.

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=4300

Maybe the other owners can help us with the rods and turnbuckles.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:02 PM
Tech Initiate

Lucky you, I had my hpi car for 2 weeks did not use it once. Called hpi distributor to let them know my car has a different parts in my car, also didn't work properly. Told me to check the manual that came with the car, parts are right. I checked the manual different parts. Nothing but headaches. Car doesn't drive properly upgrading everything, with minimal hpi parts
Didn't use it? What does it matter if the parts are different? I'm sure whatever is in there is comparable to what's listed.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

The dogbone issue seem to have gone on for a while now .
Old 10-28-2015, 10:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

You say 'Car doesn't drive properly upgrading everything' but you haven't used the car once? O-K!
Old 10-28-2015, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MikeR
You say 'Car doesn't drive properly upgrading everything' but you haven't used the car once? O-K!
i missed reading that. How about try running it first?
Old 10-28-2015, 01:14 PM
Tech Rookie

I got the RS4 sport 3 drift as I could not find any flux versions in the entire US and just added a Mamba max pro. I see so many are having problems with their dog bones coming out in the front and I have never had that problem. I have both the drift setup and bought the Porsche body and BBS tires and I don't know if anyone has tried this but there is a grub screw in the diff housing and if you tighten it you get a locked diff. When I first did it to the rear I got horrible torque steer when turning left but locked the front also and now I can drift around a dime. The only thing I have noticed with the front dog bone situation is some vibration when at full lock. I've never spit one out but did notice that the right side had alot more coming out so I took my diff apart to see what I could do and there are 2 shims. With mine they were both on one side. If you put one on each side all you'll notice is a little noise at full lock. Very glad I got the drift version and put a mamba max pro in cause I've heard of many frying their ESC with 3s. I'm good up to 6 so nothing but good times here. Adjust your diff shims if tour spitting dogbones.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Looks like Exotek has a few upgrades. I can't post links yet but if you look at their HPI parts you'll see them.

They have an upgraded spur gear mount and an alloy drive shaft.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RS4 Guy
Looks like Exotek has a few upgrades. I can't post links yet but if you look at their HPI parts you'll see them.

They have an upgraded spur gear mount and an alloy drive shaft.
I found these:

http://www.exotekracing.com/sport-3-alloy-drive-shaft/

http://www.exotekracing.com/sport-3-spur-gear-mount/

http://www.exotekracing.com/aero-heatsink/

It's what I thought. i'm almost certain more upgrades will come out in the market.

Another observation is that the Sport 3 and the TCX have identical arms. If they do, it's another upgrade to the Sport 3 as well.
Attached Thumbnails HPI RS4 Sport 3-dsc_1280__77833.1442510109.1280.1280.jpg   HPI RS4 Sport 3-dsc_1329__58003.1442509694.1280.1280.jpg   HPI RS4 Sport 3-dsc_1342__86421.1442510207.1280.1280.jpg   HPI RS4 Sport 3-dsc_0192__95638.1431126446.1280.1280.jpg  

Last edited by SagadSetup; 10-28-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hubbisse
I got the RS4 sport 3 drift as I could not find any flux versions in the entire US and just added a Mamba max pro. I see so many are having problems with their dog bones coming out in the front and I have never had that problem. I have both the drift setup and bought the Porsche body and BBS tires and I don't know if anyone has tried this but there is a grub screw in the diff housing and if you tighten it you get a locked diff. When I first did it to the rear I got horrible torque steer when turning left but locked the front also and now I can drift around a dime. The only thing I have noticed with the front dog bone situation is some vibration when at full lock. I've never spit one out but did notice that the right side had alot more coming out so I took my diff apart to see what I could do and there are 2 shims. With mine they were both on one side. If you put one on each side all you'll notice is a little noise at full lock. Very glad I got the drift version and put a mamba max pro in cause I've heard of many frying their ESC with 3s. I'm good up to 6 so nothing but good times here. Adjust your diff shims if tour spitting dogbones.
Glad Your enjoying your sport 3 as well, I love mine. I have the bmw e30 m3 and have the same issue as you with the dog bone chatter at full lock and on the right side as well I'll have to check the shims. I did notice the grub screw but wasn't sure what it's use was. Mine it's now a drift car, set up for carpet drifting, wish I could upload pictures. But i definitely enjoy driving it.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Here is a pic but not sure if it's going to show up.
http://s4.postimg.org/wkndu6d71/0924152303.jpg

Here is one with drift tires I made and different wheels
http://s7.postimg.org/nu5m20eln/0903152338b.jpg
Old 10-29-2015, 04:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Normajean
Here is a pic but not sure if it's going to show up.
http://s4.postimg.org/wkndu6d71/0924152303.jpg

Here is one with drift tires I made and different wheels
http://s7.postimg.org/nu5m20eln/0903152338b.jpg
That's a nice setup. I'll post pics for you for everyone to appreciate your car.
Attached Thumbnails HPI RS4 Sport 3-0924152303.jpg   HPI RS4 Sport 3-0903152338b.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.