Lipo's with 5mm plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 11:29 PM
Les
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OttoKrosse
Thanks for all the great suggestions.

I guess I should have mentioned that these will go into a TC6.2, so I'll mention it now.
Put some thought in some batteries are overkill, depending on your race class if you run 21.5, 17.5,13.5T or 10.5T you don't really want heavy batteries, 6400mah is ample with some brands weighing 295 grams to 305 grams, 7500mah or more could way 335 grams to 350 grams, 4mm bullets are fine, if you run mod maybe heavy is ok. That's just my opinion !!!!
Old 03-27-2015, 11:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

I guess I should have mentioned that these will go into a TC6.2, so I'll mention it now.
My setup is Reedy 7000mAh in a 6.2
They come with a great punch and 310gr. I run with the connectors in front for better balance. Right to left balance is no problem.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:53 AM
Tech Regular

Guess it depends on your budget. If your a beginner though you won't notice any difference between a high dollar pack and a more budget friendly pack like the turnigy ultimates. Plus your racing stock and will have to replace your batteries about every 6 months to a year depending on how often you use them and how hard you are on them.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cplus
You can add Silverback to the list of 5mm plug lipos.

I agree on the marketing. Means changing all your plugs and you can't (easily) use your old lipos!
For me it was a benefit because I had only 1 battery with 4mm holes, so I don't have a bunch of packs just sitting around. I was relatively new when I started buying batteries and laying out my battery plugs so it was easier to go with the 5mm bullet plugs.

The one thing I'm still a bit vague on is IR (internal resistance) and how to measure it, what is good and what is not and how does it affect performance.

Currently considering the Orca, Protek and the Intellect, but still not locked in.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

For me it was a benefit because I had only 1 battery with 4mm holes, so I don't have a bunch of packs just sitting around. I was relatively new when I started buying batteries and laying out my battery plugs so it was easier to go with the 5mm bullet plugs.

The one thing I'm still a bit vague on is IR (internal resistance) and how to measure it, what is good and what is not and how does it affect performance.

Currently considering the Orca, Protek and the Intellect, but still not locked in.
Most chargers will display IR, like the ICharger. IR plays a huge role on packs performance. Some people will charge, discharge, charge to get heat into the packs to drop IR. Orca HV packs, and some Protek packs are made by Intellect.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Benefit of 5mm bullet plugs on batterys is very minimal not worth the effort more of a marketing ploy than anything else
Old 04-02-2015, 12:02 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by COBRARACING
Benefit of 5mm bullet plugs on batterys is very minimal not worth the effort more of a marketing ploy than anything else
Not in all instances. But mostly yes. In Modified Oval they can dump the newer packs in a 4 minute run and with a 4mm bullet 2 years ago they had issues melting the wire off of the bullets at the battery. Now with 5mm they have zero issues with it and are even running hotter motors with the newer higher mah batteries.

But in general the normal classes will never notice a difference.

EA