Lap Racing

Old 04-02-2015, 11:30 AM
Tech Master

Default Lap Racing

This is something I've discussed with a few people, and thought I'd put it here for discussion.

Racing has been following the same format for years. 2-4 qualifiers and a main. Sometimes triple a-mains. But still a 6 or 8 minute race. Bump-ups are nice, too. Still the same old format, in general.

How about changing it up a little, at least for the mains? I know several of the scoring programs have the ability to do lap racing. When the leader crosses the line to complete the race, it then has everyone else finish the lap they're on.

Say the TQ does 42 laps. The A-Main is then 45 laps long. Just round up to the nearest 5. (If the TQ was at a "5", like 45 or 50, then you can leave it at that number or go up to the next multiple of 5).

If there's lower mains, the race distance is set by the laps done by car #1 in that particular main, rounding up to the next multiple of 5.

Now in the cases of VTA or USGT (where you run a 6 minute qual and an 8 minute main) take the number of laps and multiply by 1.333, then round up to the next multiple of 5. For example: TQ does 36 laps. 36*1.33 = 47.9. Round up to 50 for the main.

Two things off the top of my head that would occur with lap racing in the mains:

1. Say the lead car has a lap on the field, but breaks on the last lap. The race isn't over! Until someone crosses at lap 50 (or whatever the race distance is), the race continues. Under the current system, that leader would still win, despite not running the full race distance.

2. The lead car has a 1 second lead on 2nd place. Leader beats the timing loop, but the 2nd place car gets caught at 8:00.03. Leader gets that "bonus" lap, where he could crash, roll over, etc. With lap racing, the guy in 2nd still has a shot to win if the leader makes a mistake. This can also be the case for close races between 2nd and 3rd, 3rd and 4th, etc.

Some responses I've received is that maybe this is something to be done first with VTA, USGT, and F1 to see how it goes. Thoughts?
Old 04-02-2015, 11:40 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

this concept is interesting -- but honestly i think i'd like to see either-

#1 all heads up racing (no more ifmar)
#2 triple mains but with shorter lengths (to make the day/round go quicker)

we overall do too much qualifying. qualifying != racing. racing is an art form...

the UF1 qualifying/stacking method also seems really interesting to me.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hanulec View Post

we overall do too much qualifying. qualifying != racing. racing is an art form...

I've done the UF1 races, and it's fun. However, all 3 mains count in that format and they're 15 minutes long, so be careful!

Anything that changes it up from the same old format is good with me. What ends up happening is all these races are exactly the same, only the scenery changes. The Snowbirds B-Main bump up is a good idea, because it's different and unique to that event. I'd just like to see more of it, and in different ways.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:57 AM
Tech Initiate

We need to have ifmar. Ifmar helps part the good drivers with the good and the bad with the bad. If we dont have ifmar, the amains will be even a bigger mess. Too many people in this hobby are ignorant, well at least during the race. Its not a race if you gotten lapped 3 times. If racing was more strict maybe heads up would not be so bad after all, but according to everyone " its just for fun."
Old 04-02-2015, 12:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This sounds like fun! I'll see if we can incorporate some of these ideas at our next race to see what people think.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

We actually had something like this a few years back in off road for one of the bigger series in the Carolinas. Each race was so many laps.

But to add to this it was done in the Reedy race format using four "mains" with no quals. With one drop. Your total points added for the three race.

It was pretty fun and went over well. But hasn't been done since that RD stepped down.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec View Post

I agree. Seems like we're qualifying all day long. By the time the race gets here I'm almost tired of racing.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

When I was putting on races, I followed the "traditional" formats for my series races, but every year would do a couple special events, and always did one or two "LAP" races a year. (Hoping it would catch on)

It was a fun change, and changed the strategy just a little. I usually ran "Heat Races" that where much shorter in # of laps, but I also did single car qualifying to set the grid.

The formats sometimes took some setup practice to make the scoring system do exactly what I wanted it to do - (which was part of the fun to me)
Old 04-02-2015, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SWTour View Post

It was a fun change, and changed the strategy just a little. I usually ran "Heat Races" that where much shorter in # of laps, but I also did single car qualifying to set the grid.
I've been kicking around the concept of how to make the Heat Races work like Supercross. Heat Races, Semi, Last Chance Qual, etc.

It is all dependent on the number of entries, but such as the guy that wins each heat race automatically locks into the A Main. Then the guy that wins each Semi does, etc. However, I allow the winners of each heat race to keep running in the Semis and LCQ (or maybe all the winners go run in their own heat separately as a "pre-main"), to try improving their time which ultimately sets the grid for the Finals. After all, you don't want to take away track time from the racers.

I'm still working out all the contingencies (all the what-ifs). But it would be a fun way to run a race.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I used a basic dirt track racing format a couple times.

Say the class had 12 cars -

Single car qualifying set the Heat Race line up (3) Four car heats

Heat 1
TQ
4th qual
7th qual
10th qual

Heat 2
2nd qual
5th qual
8th qual
11th qual

Heat 3
3rd qual
6th qual
9th qual
12th qual

Top 2 from each heat go directly to "A" Main (6 cars)

Bottom 2 from each heat go to LCQ - (6 cars)

Top 4 transfer to "A" Main to make up 10 car main.

FINISHING POSITION puts you in the Main, not speed. To me this helps teach people more than just going fast...it teaches people to RACE.
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Shorter quals longer mains ladder mains

example

2 minute qualifiers, 8 or 10 minute mains( laps would work also just changes how the race ends)

Ladder mains. This way qualifying truly becomes a few laps to seat you in the mains. Having ladder mains means you are never truly eliminated from a chance at the win.
All the cars we race can run longer mains even mod. And yes you may need to modulate throttle input in faster classes to keep enough gas in the tank!!!
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Looks up how QSAC does it. There's a few dirt oval groups doing it basically that way as well. At the BRL's Novak All-Star Challenge this weekend (shameless plug), we basically did it QSAC style as well. It's a nice change of pace, and I've had guys complement the format for the amount of "racing" they actually did.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

I like the idea of lap racing. It might be an interesting change up for the Reedy Race.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:28 PM

I remember racing 12th scale and 10th scale back in the day before ifmar qualifing, resorts and no transponders with a boat load of more entrees and getting more racing and track time then we do now... a different format might just make it more fun again..
Old 04-02-2015, 04:21 PM
Tech Master

We changed our format this year for our series here in Texas and it has worked well so far.

Random round 1 heads up
Qual points round 2 inverted start heads up.
Qual points round 3 inverted start heads up.
Mains have a bump up and a normal heads up start

Guys that are extremely fast have to actually make race moves while the guys starting toward the front have the thrill of trying to hold off drivers. Gives guys a better chance at finishing towards the front. Even the haters liked it after the first round.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.