Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree24Likes

HPI HB PRO 5

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 10:41 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by malkiy
The pro4 had notoriously easy to strip gears. Didn't need a hard crash to strip them. I wouldn't use the pro4 as an example of shaft drivetrain durability. Take a look a the awesomatix gears, I doubt you could strip the ring and pinion on that car.
I've been running an A700 for just over a year now. The whole car is suprisingly tough and I've never damaged a gear even though I hit a lot of immovable objects. I don't see the shaft as being weaker based on my experience.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The pro4 had notoriously easy to strip gears. Didn't need a hard crash to strip them. I wouldn't use the pro4 as an example of shaft drivetrain durability. Take a look a the awesomatix gears, I doubt you could strip the ring and pinion on that car.
I have been running my Pro4 competitively for the last 10 years in 17.5/13.5. With correct shimming the gears have been perfectly fine for me. You cannot find replacement gears anywhere yet I have no fear of not being able to run my car due to gear failures.
Now the diff screw is another story- I broke 2-3 every year... so I modified my diffs to use 2.5mm dif screws. Happy
Old 10-07-2014, 01:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

We used to run these cars on foam tires on carpet, never an issue with the gears
Old 10-07-2014, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

These types of comments are coming from one of two people. 1. Never owned a shaft drive let alone a PRO4... or 2. Never learned how to properly mesh the ring and pinion gears if they did have a shaft drive.

I hope its a shaft drive, but its not looking good. If HPI wants to live up to the hype they are creating about being new and innovative, the belts better not be anywhere close to down the center (unless its a 3 belt design with saddle packs). Otherwise how can it be out of the box thinking. If its a belt im hoping for a JRXS style set-up.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VikingBen
...find it curious its not being called the new tcxx. The emphasis on the Pro...
I'm guess because it's flying under the HPI banner instead of Hot Bodies.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

... Or to separate this car from the TCX series to turn over a new leaf?
Old 10-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Reading the announcement on RedRC talking about flow and stability, I'd guess there will be something different in the suspension, with my guess being just passive rear steering.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by grippgoat
Reading the announcement on RedRC talking about flow and stability, I'd guess there will be something different in the suspension, with my guess being just passive rear steering.
Aww Man! I was hoping for active rear steering and active suspension on all 4 corners! (JK - gotta keep the rumor mill turning)
Old 10-07-2014, 02:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
These types of comments are coming from one of two people. 1. Never owned a shaft drive let alone a PRO4... or 2. Never learned how to properly mesh the ring and pinion gears if they did have a shaft drive.

I hope its a shaft drive, but its not looking good. If HPI wants to live up to the hype they are creating about being new and innovative, the belts better not be anywhere close to down the center (unless its a 3 belt design with saddle packs). Otherwise how can it be out of the box thinking. If its a belt im hoping for a JRXS style set-up.
RC Racing TV did a rundown of all the contenders cars and already said it was a belt car.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Otherwise how can it be out of the box thinking. If its a belt im hoping for a JRXS style set-up.
I'm hoping for the same but that's back in the pro3 box of thinking. A 14 year old design that was ahead of its time . Time to bring it back with major improvements.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rodney Racer
RC Racing TV did a rundown of all the contenders cars and already said it was a belt car.
They didnt say one way or the other, they said it was speculated it was a belt drive.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

belt car...and I would look at this more of an evolution of the TCXX with good refinements...and not so much a revolution of belt car design (sorry to disappoint anyone)
Old 10-07-2014, 04:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by teamstrc
belt car...and I would look at this more of an evolution of the TCXX with good refinements...and not so much a revolution of belt car design (sorry to disappoint anyone)
With these goals in mind, the HB R&D Design Team determined that a complete re-think of the standard TC design was needed. utilizing the latest state of the art resources and the input of World Championship winning team driver, the Team arrived at the basic concept design of the PRO 5.

Sure doesn't sound like a refinement by their press release.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

And they have stated almost 0 crossover parts. Why do a refinement, but make all new molds? My guess is it will use the same shocks, and maybe outer toe blocks and bumper/body mounts. But damn those have been around since the Pro-4.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 2uzferunner03
With these goals in mind, the HB R&D Design Team determined that a complete re-think of the standard TC design was needed. utilizing the latest state of the art resources and the input of World Championship winning team driver, the Team arrived at the basic concept design of the PRO 5.

Sure doesn't sound like a refinement by their press release.
would be messed up if the conclusion that they came up to was a clone of the Yok/Tam.

Whatever they conjure up, it will never take off with their current business model of parts availability.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.