Like Tree122Likes

Tamiya TRF419

Old 07-31-2017, 12:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tobyzhang View Post
Honestly Cuda, people say Xray shocks are the best but it has the same amount of o-ring stiction as tamiya shocks with the clear o-ring. Trust me, just use the clear o-ring unless you want to rebuild every run. The blue is smoother but you have to use 3mm shims to increase pressure a bit so it doesn't leak as bad. But I think the clear o-ring is the way to go. I can't really feel any difference on track between the two o-rings.
Just trying to get every advantage available

Like they say, setup is not overrated

And if I can stumble onto the monkey car setup (a monkey could drive it fast) like I did with my F1 cars, then maybe I can be competitive against drivers that are better than me in this class too.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:59 PM
CL
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post

And if I can stumble onto the monkey car setup (a monkey could drive it fast) like I did with my F1 cars, then maybe I can be competitive against drivers that are better than me in this class too.
Cuda,

The thing that is holding you back is your motor. It's time for a new V16.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post

I would say build two shocks, one with each method and then put them in a bag and shake them up. Pull them out and see if you can notice a difference. Go with the way that feels better.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:31 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CL View Post
Cuda,

The thing that is holding you back is your motor. It's time for a new V16.
cant use it til it handles right

horsepower wont help me without handling

have had old stuff in my good handling F1 for looong time gettin it done

running old battery and 13.5 motor now as a kick ass 17.5, and still off the pace with TC

got the new stuff standing by but why beat up the new stuff during growing pains?

getting there tho, starting to sweat the small stuff.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:39 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nubs View Post
I would say build two shocks, one with each method and then put them in a bag and shake them up. Pull them out and see if you can notice a difference. Go with the way that feels better.
its noticeable, but just a little so thats why im trying it.

does it matter?
probably not but peace of mind can build confidence in us mere mortals
Old 07-31-2017, 03:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi guys,
im new in this forum.
What i can say is that im using the clear o-rings from tamiya now. With the blue o-rings included in the kit, shocks are leaking. Then ive tried the x-rings. Shocks are leaking. In my case, it doesnt matter if i using shims or not. The shocks are leaking and after one race day, i have air in it. Since i have build it with the clear o-rings, i have no problems with it anymore and they work very good. My shocks are leaking free after three race days.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Roland83 View Post
Hi guys,
im new in this forum.
What i can say is that im using the clear o-rings from tamiya now. With the blue o-rings included in the kit, shocks are leaking. Then ive tried the x-rings. Shocks are leaking. In my case, it doesnt matter if i using shims or not. The shocks are leaking and after one race day, i have air in it. Since i have build it with the clear o-rings, i have no problems with it anymore and they work very good. My shocks are leaking free after three race days.
Same here, except I went one step farther. I also got the reinforced black rod guides. To get even more consistent feel, I also drilled a hole in the plastic piece of the top cap.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:56 AM
Tech Regular

It comes the new EVO 7 with the same damper of the 419X.
Wonders how the plan of the damper looks. I'm curious if Tamiya fixes the flaws of the dripping shocks
Old 08-02-2017, 08:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
It comes the new EVO 7 with the same damper of the 419X.
Wonders how the plan of the damper looks. I'm curious if Tamiya fixes the flaws of the dripping shocks
All they would need to do is change the orings that come with the kit, but I doubt they will have changed that.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:25 AM
Tech Regular

@nubs
Why does Tamiya do that?
Which have also taken the leaking diff from the TRF 419 or the Problems with the C-Hub ...

Is Tamiya really interested in correcting errors?
Not really business-promoting
Old 08-02-2017, 10:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

@nubs
Why does Tamiya do that?
Which have also taken the leaking diff from the TRF 419 or the Problems with the C-Hub ...

Feel like the new engineers and production guys at tamiya are less well versed in tolerance control than their predecessors. The C hub has more slop than the older ones and the shocks leaks way more than the older TRF shocks as well. Not to mention the M07 needs lots of sanding to get binding free suspension for both the front and the rear. We understand to fix tolerance for a injection molded part will cost Tamiya a lot of money because the tooling will have to be altered. But still man, the older stuff are showing better fit.

The O-Ring I feel I can't really blame Tamiya. Those for sure are parts made by third party but Tamiya should still give solution to make the o ring work with their hardware better. I tried the 0.15 shim and it works pretty well actually.

The overall mechanical design are still very good and the machining are still top notch. But someone is definitely slacking in the tolerance department.

I did notice better tolerance in the 419X arms though so maybe they did try to improve things at least for the newer toolings.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

@nubs
Why does Tamiya do that?

If I am being honest I think its because Tamiya is a large company that has a lot of different products ( i mean many different types of products from models and slot cars to the RC cars we love). They have to be very careful about what they choose to do because it will take capacity away from other products they are making.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by tobyzhang View Post
Feel like the new engineers and production guys at tamiya are less well versed in tolerance control than their predecessors. The C hub has more slop than the older ones and the shocks leaks way more than the older TRF shocks as well. Not to mention the M07 needs lots of sanding to get binding free suspension for both the front and the rear. We understand to fix tolerance for a injection molded part will cost Tamiya a lot of money because the tooling will have to be altered. But still man, the older stuff are showing better fit.

The O-Ring I feel I can't really blame Tamiya. Those for sure are parts made by third party but Tamiya should still give solution to make the o ring work with their hardware better. I tried the 0.15 shim and it works pretty well actually.

The overall mechanical design are still very good and the machining are still top notch. But someone is definitely slacking in the tolerance department.

I did notice better tolerance in the 419X arms though so maybe they did try to improve things at least for the newer toolings.
The other problem is that they are using existing molds for new materials. When the materials cure, they don't cure to the same size as the other types of plastics. This is what causes the slop or binding. I don't actually mind slop that much because slop is created over time through friction, you can generally offset slop with shims.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Just use the damn clear o rings on the shocks like the rest of us and you won't have to worry about them
Old 08-02-2017, 05:08 PM
Tech Champion

looks like we've all got it figured out for them

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service