Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree164Likes

Tamiya TB Evo 6

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

Should be perfectly fine. Remember these balldiffs handled low turn mod motors before we had gear diffs.

Why turn back to those though? You'll have a lot of maintenance. The Evo 6 gear diff is fine if you change to steel gears and cross shafts. A better alternative would be the Yokomo gear diff they have in their drift cars, but you need to modify things a bit. I have not done it this way, but the other way around (modified Evo diffs to go in my SD car). That was a lot of work because the casing of the Evo diff is larger diameter, so I had to machine it down a bit to fit and take the crown wheel of the Yokomo, hence I assume the other way around is going to be easier. One crucial point is that the diff screw pattern is the same on both diffs otherwise I could not have transplanted the crown wheel.

I also had to machine down a bit the Yokomo drive pinion because it is longer, so didn't clear the diff housing. Again, going the other way, you won't have this problem.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by donatelli
Hi all, I wanna to try the ball diff on my Exo-Six. May I know if the ball diff (#51549) is capable to handle 13.5T blinky? Thanks!
Should work fine
Quite a few cars are running rear balls diffs again, I assumed it was due to the lower weight ?

I have not tried one yet though
Old 11-20-2015, 07:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. It's true that gear diff requires less maintenance but it also carries higher rotational mass. I don't satisfy with the acceleration out of the corner. So wonder if ball diff should help or not.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

I see a lot of people worry about all this stuff. Let's say it does. So what? If everybody uses the same diff, they'll all be disadvantaged equally.

But I don't think you could prove that. After all, if that was a disadvantage, nobody in a top competition would use a gear diff. Yes, there may be a small weight penalty with the associated drawbacks in terms of mass, but I think the ball diff comes with its own problems. I think the ball diff is more prone to power loss due to slip so any kinetic momentum disadvantage due to the gear diff will be more than compensated for by no slippage.

If your car does not pull out of corners fast enough, I would suggest you make sure and eliminate all other possibilities before looking at the diff.

Have you actually weighed the two diffs to compare?
Old 11-20-2015, 08:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks for the reply. It's true that gear diff requires less maintenance but it also carries higher rotational mass. I don't satisfy with the acceleration out of the corner. So wonder if ball diff should help or not.
If you want more drive out of the corner you could switch to a front spool or go heavier on the front diff fluid. Front spool likely the lightest option if you are worried about rotational mass.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Yes, that would be one way. Come to think of it, I actually switched to a front one way and that was better than the spool (I am running 13.5 blinky as well FWIW). A spool will inherently add some loss of power due to the wheels fighting each other and there's no going away from the understeer (which can be a good thing, but not always). Then again, the one way is not always the best option. One thing is for sure. I think you need to adapt your driving to the car setup/track conditions as well.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
Yes, that would be one way. Come to think of it, I actually switched to a front one way and that was better than the spool (I am running 13.5 blinky as well FWIW). A spool will inherently add some loss of power due to the wheels fighting each other and there's no going away from the understeer (which can be a good thing, but not always). Then again, the one way is not always the best option. One thing is for sure. I think you need to adapt your driving to the car setup/track conditions as well.
Yep, that is key. Is the increase in drive out of the corner enough to outweigh the change in feel everywhere else? Personally I love the way my car drives with a spool. I tend to go faster with a gear diff. One-way was just scary. LOL
Old 11-20-2015, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

Check out posts #1156 and #1187 for information on how I lightened my drive train. There is an 11 gram difference between a Tamiya gear diff 25 grams and a ball diff 14 grams. There are additional things you can do to lighten the drive train significantly and are mentioned in the posts above. There is also a video in post #1187 that demonstrates how quickly this car rotates and accelerates out of the corners. The lightened drive train also allows you to drive deeper into the corners and brake later.
Maintenance of the ball diff running stock (17.5 or 13.5) is about the same as refilling your leaky gear diff
Old 11-20-2015, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Chaz955i
Yep, that is key. Is the increase in drive out of the corner enough to outweigh the change in feel everywhere else? Personally I love the way my car drives with a spool. I tend to go faster with a gear diff. One-way was just scary. LOL
The main reason in changing to a one way was that my track has a lot of corners and some tricky switchbacks. When drive is transferred from one side of the car to the other very quickly, the spool is counterproductive and actually slows the car down. The one way reacts instantly. But yes, you are right, you have to change your driving to suit.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Leester
Check out posts #1156 and #1187 for information on how I lightened my drive train. There is an 11 gram difference between a Tamiya gear diff 25 grams and a ball diff 14 grams. There are additional things you can do to lighten the drive train significantly and are mentioned in the posts above. There is also a video in post #1187 that demonstrates how quickly this car rotates and accelerates out of the corners. The lightened drive train also allows you to drive deeper into the corners and brake later.
Maintenance of the ball diff running stock (17.5 or 13.5) is about the same as refilling your leaky gear diff
Thanks a lot for the advice!
Old 11-23-2015, 06:35 AM
Tech Adept

Just wondering is Tamiya Evo 6 a member or can be considered as part of the TRF family, as the design and quality is just like a TRF's car?
Old 11-26-2015, 03:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Leester
May I know if there is any reinforced ball diff ring (40T) or not? Thanks!
Old 11-26-2015, 10:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Is it true that there is an aluminium chassis coming out for the Evo6?
Old 11-26-2015, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

It's for the Exo6 conversion
Old 11-26-2015, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Emaculant
Is it true that there is an aluminium chassis coming out for the Evo6?
Check out the photos on post #1268. This chassis should be available for the Exotek EXO6 conversion sometime early in December.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.