Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kyosho 12th scale Plazma LM

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 06:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by JLock
Here are a couple of pics of the size difference between the two. The 12th scale in question is a Xray X12 Link car. The kit cost me less than $300 through my local hobby shop.
Interesting to see those pics, they're much longer than a normal 12th. Ive been told it takes normal 12th wheels too, but what about the tyres? I dont really know anything about 12th but they look very different in the pics.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Danny355
Interesting to see those pics, they're much longer than a normal 12th. Ive been told it takes normal 12th wheels too, but what about the tyres? I dont really know anything about 12th but they look very different in the pics.
Did a measurement on the tires between the two. The rear tires are the same width, 37mm, between the two. The front tires of the 12th scale are 26mm wide; the Plazma Lm front tires are 25mm wide. The tires of the Plazma Lm are bigger in diameter, 53mm front/55mm rear, whereas the 12th scale tires are slightly smaller, 49mm front/52mm rear. The diameter measurements are uncut tires.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Danny355,

Another cool thing about this car is that you don't necessarily have to true the tires down like you do for a regular 12th scale. All of my test runs have been with uncut tires out of the box and the car handles just fine. In fact, it might be better for scale realism not to true them and just run them as-is out of the box/package and just let them naturally wear down. Just a thought.......
Old 03-17-2014, 04:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up I have the Toyota Plazma LM also I LOVE IT.

I ran it with the stock motor and it was a blast all the power you will need. Handles great right out of the box. They sell heavier sway dampers for it and a stiffening cross bar for it. as well as you can ad a Ti axle. I ran at TQ last night on carpet. I ran it at Cal Raceway on Friday night and it was fun on the asphalt track as well.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

RacinJacin,

Glad that you decided to get one and happy that you are just as satisfied with it as I am. Unfortunately for me, I had to look at going the brushless route due to the deep pocket racers here would push to run brushless and would kill the class if I try to stick with the brushed motor. Now, did you true the tires when you raced? I have been test running mine on uncut tires and it handles great that way. Keep us updated on your performance racing your car.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Plazma

JL,
What Brushless are you running? I have several to ready try I have a 5.5 - ( way to much) and a 13.5 - 17.5 I am thinking the 17.5 and gear it way up.

I already changed it over to brushless too. I haven't tried it yet. I will probably be trying a bunch of motors before I find the one I like. Smooth and fast is key.

Originally Posted by JLock
RacinJacin,

Glad that you decided to get one and happy that you are just as satisfied with it as I am. Unfortunately for me, I had to look at going the brushless route due to the deep pocket racers here would push to run brushless and would kill the class if I try to stick with the brushed motor. Now, did you true the tires when you raced? I have been test running mine on uncut tires and it handles great that way. Keep us updated on your performance racing your car.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Racin,

I currently have a 17.5BL with a 2-cell LiPo in the car. It is ballistically fast with that getup. In fact, on my LHS carpet track, I never went more than half throttle and it was still a bullet. I tested it also with a 21.5BL motor and it was still pretty quick getting around the track. Both test were done with the stock gearing, of course. I was thinking about starting the class with probably 21.5 if running 2-cell or 17.5 if running 1-cell. If it was up to me, it would be 17.5 with 2-cell. To me, the extra length of the car helps to keep it more stable at higher speeds, especially in corners.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ok, Im going to drop the 17.5 motor in it and leave the stock gearing set up and see what happens.

That car handle really great I like the length its just less twitchy that the std 12th scale cars. I feel like I can drive it faster.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RacinJacin
Ok, Im going to drop the 17.5 motor in it and leave the stock gearing set up and see what happens.

That car handle really great I like the length its just less twitchy that the std 12th scale cars. I feel like I can drive it faster.
I see you noticed the same thing that I did. Yes, the extra length made feel more like a 10th scale pan car (WGT) than a 12th scale. Did you notice that the car did not "diff out" like a regular 12th scale would in tight corners which allowed you to stay in the throttle longer? This has me thinking about getting with a designer friend of mine and taking my 12L4 and 12L5 and having him cut me a longer chassis for each to experiment. Maybe this car could be the evolution of the 12th scale to the next level............
Old 03-18-2014, 03:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

I think size of the car allows you to enter the corner with more speed and smoothly roll through the transition / rotation and keep both rear wheels on the ground. So it doesn't diff out. The length of the chassis adds leverage on the rear to hold it down.
I still have a lot of driving to do before I know everything about the handling pros and cons. So far I have no cons. That is great. I will put the roll damper big bore up grade on and the front end stiffener post in and change the axle to ti and then see if it is the magic set up.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

I think size of the car allows you to enter the corner with more speed and smoothly roll through the transition / rotation and keep both rear wheels on the ground. So it doesn't diff out. The length of the chassis adds leverage on the rear to hold it down.
I still have a lot of driving to do before I know everything about the handling pros and cons. So far I have no cons. That is great. I will put the roll damper big bore up grade on and the front end stiffener post in and change the axle to ti and then see if it is the magic set up.
Cool deal. Don't forget to let us know how those upgrades work for you.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ok I put the big bore shock on and picked up the carbon fiber rear axle and the front cross torsional stiffener. I haven't put the big bore sway dampers on yet. I also added stiffer side springs.
Attached Thumbnails Kyosho 12th scale Plazma LM-20140318_203701.jpg   Kyosho 12th scale Plazma LM-20140318_204735.jpg   Kyosho 12th scale Plazma LM-20140308_202130.jpg  
Old 03-18-2014, 09:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Kyosho Plazma upgrades

Ok I put the big bore shock on and picked up the carbon fiber rear axle and the front cross torsional stiffener. I haven't put the big bore sway dampers on yet. I also added stiffer side springs. I ended up putting the 13.5 motor in it it's too much I can change it to my 17.5.
Attached Thumbnails Kyosho 12th scale Plazma LM-20140318_203701.jpg   Kyosho 12th scale Plazma LM-20140318_203626.jpg   Kyosho 12th scale Plazma LM-20140318_204735.jpg   Kyosho 12th scale Plazma LM-20140318_193141.jpg  

Last edited by RacinJacin; 03-19-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

I will test everything and let you know if they enhance the handling. To get any of the parts shown on my car you can contact Deven at Kyosho America.
One thing I noticed the new shock comes with new red hardware and a it is space upward and let's me run 2 cell without unclipping the shock like I was having to with the old setup.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:06 PM
Tech Elite

I will test everything and let you know if they enhance the handling. To get any of the parts shown on my car you can contact Deven at Kyosho America.
One thing I noticed the new shock comes with new red hardware and a it is space upward and let's me run 2 cell without unclipping the shock like I was having to with the old setup.
Cool deal. I know Steve P at Kyosho along with my contact at my LHS. I can get him to contact Steve for those parts if I go that route. Will probably get an extra set of tires for sure and maybe the big bore shock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.