How To: Promote Sportman like Driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 03:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hi guys

how many of you have seen the world titles DVD

just have a passing move question to ask

in the 12th scale A main race 1, masami made a passing move in the very last lap but also knocking out hara when he went through that corner. Now in the slow replay it shows that hara was on the outside and masami was on the inside. But! at that time hara's car was about say 5 cms in front of masami's car. Now im confused as i thought this wasnt a very clean move yet everyone started clapping and cheering.

so im assuming when passing in the corners as long as your on the inside your in the right? so that means if the leader goes about 5 cms wide on that apex you have the right to dive in no matter the consequences?
Old 07-21-2005, 05:25 AM
Tech Elite

These are always difficult calls to make.

I haven't seen the video, but the way you've described it it sounds like it was still Hara's corner.

Two things to take into account in situations like this... Would the car that was trying to make the pass have been able to make the corner (i.e. reach the apex) at the speed they went into the corner, and had they actually got far enough alongside the car in front to claim position.

Basically, a clean pass will be where the passing car is side-by-side with the car ahead, and both make the apex without contact.

If the passing car can only get level by carrying way too much speed at the turn in point, and makes contact with the leader as he overshoots the corner, then it is a bad move. Normally, the leader can counter this by lifting off a little and letting the car trying to get past shoot by without making contact, then turn in on the racing line and keep first place.

If the passing car is too far behind, and ends up T-boning the leading car as the leader turns in, then it's also a bad move.

Normally it's the times when the cars are both carrying the right amount of speed into the corner, but the passing car is a few inches short of being level, that are hardest to judge. Generally if both cars can make the corner with no contact or very light contact, then it was a fair move in my book. So much of it just comes from experience of watching racing.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:55 AM
Tech Master

Everyone doesn't like to be hacked....

But once in awhile we are bound to be hacked or hacking someone else accidently(I'm refering to people who are kind drivers and don't hack others to pass or win ).

I too don't want to say that I don't accidently hack someone....But when I knocked into someone,I will always wait by the side for him to recover then he gets going in front of me, then I carry on....

Most of the times I get thanks for that...Which makes you feel good,althought you don't win the race,but at least you get a thank from someone.Its a totally different nice feeling.

My 2 cents...
Old 07-21-2005, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
I honestly believe that most of the bad-driving incidents you see is because people just don't know race etiquette.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I believe that it helps when drivers know when to give up a corner, whether it be in a defending position or an attempted pass. You can't win em all but atleast you can keep it going. However there are times when poo happens..
Old 07-21-2005, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

One thing that hasn't been discussed is tell the new guys that if they are getting passed/lapped it is for a reason.

Case in point
I race at a sportsman level....granted it is very competative...but at a certain race there wasn't a chance for there to be a sportsman and expert class.
So I was grouped together with some very fast expert drivers and so I not only had to be aware of what I was doing but I was also tryign to be curtious to the fast guys as they were also trying to qualify and for me it was simple if the fast guys are coming up behind you take a slightly high line on the corner...the fast guys should be able to pass without contact and you still keep 95% of your own speed. That way I am still qualifing very well and no one gets hacked or breaks.
That is why I like IFMAR starts that way everyone is on their own clock and so I don't have to worry about anyone passing me as I am just consentrating on my laps. Now after the race the fast guys come up and say thanks that makes it so much better and plus they come up and share there knowledge with you also.....This is probably the best promotion for the hobby. I find that when I am the faster guy that I will call out coming on the inside or going up top, to let the driver know my intentions and to allow him to make corrections so that we do not collide.
Just my two pennies....but hey if you added up all of mine you would have a nice nest egg...LOL
-SHookie <><
Old 07-21-2005, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pink pac man
i am having the same kinda problem....

there is a guy at my club who constantly cuts you off/runs into you when you pas him/etc but i cant really tell him off cos he is a very good friend of mine.....he constantly breaks stuff when he runs into me and then blames it all on me....its always my fault. even if i am passing him

is there any way to have him realize he is ruining our race without him getting pissed at me?

If he is a good friend then I would tell him. If he gets mad then maybe he is not a good friend, especially if he breaks things and blames it on you.

I have some guys who I like to race with that are not at my ability because they don't race that much. Usually when we race together I tell them to hold their line if I come passing them. If they cannot then I would expect them or anyone else to get out of my way.

I know if I have missed the setup, bad 1st lap or have a bad car I would do the same thing. If I had a bad 1st lap I will fight, from being lapped to the last few feet then move over. After that I usually follow the leader, without taking him out. It all depends though, if the leader is fighting for position I will pull way out of the groove and let them by.

If I ever get in a heated battle and take the other guy out, I would wait for them or do a stop and go penalty.

If a guy cannot drive and always break they should spend more time practicing and working on their setup.

All tracks should encourage good driving, sort according to ability and promote a positive environment for racing. Rubbing can be racing but Hacking is not.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:26 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by FaiLip
To all experience drivers and track owners:

Me been racing for almost 4 years and is becoming sick of attending meetings where I will be counting how many guys have taken me out today . Have anyone got any suggestions on how to make racers better drivers. I am sure they don't do it on the street. I am currently in the process of starting a new track in our local indoor sport centre and would like advice from anyone who have either idea or experience on how to stop bad driving.

I see that in the Reedy Race they have "warning" and "stop start penalty". What is that about, and would it work in a club based championship.

Thanks in advance~~~~
The race managers try, but they're busy and may be looking at another part of the track than you're racing on. It all depends on what type of meeting you're in and the driver you're competing with. In club racing and if the driver is good and just did rare mistake I'd call all over the pitlane that Mr. Joe just hit my car like the raw beginner that he is . If the driver was a beginner I'd take him aside after the round and tell him that I don't like other peoples cars hitting my car, then I would tell him excactly what he did wrong, where and when. Then I'd tell him how to do this right.

The best thing to reduce this kind of driving is less power. Bring back the Mabuchi. And 4 cell racing. Then I want 20 mm wide tires. Seriously, if you have less power you have better control of your car and it's traveling slower so there is less chance on you being taken out, or you taking someone else out. If all the cars have similar power you still have very entertaining racing. Somehow I don't think these suggestions are going to be taken seriously.

Here is a good rule: "One set of tires must last the whole race." Just like in IndyF1

Originally Posted by v0rtex
Watch any video of the pro's racing and see them accidentally spin an opponent - then wait for them to go back past fairly.
The only driver I've seen do this every time he actually spins an opponent is Masami. Have you any idea how many races The RC God has lost because of this?

Originally Posted by BlackKat
Then he did it in 1997 to Jacques Villeneuve... (Only thing I didn't like about this incident is the fact Micheal couldn't take out Jacques successfully )
You know of course that the Villeneuve "incident" was Michaels 3rd one, that's why he was punished so "severly". He lost the points he didn't need that year, yet these points are counted with the total points he has won in F1 on the FIA website. It's like the cops giving you the money to pay the fine.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Tech Adept

Boy I am overwhelmed by the responses. And I think penalty and education goes a long way. So rules will include the necessary guildline to police the racing and like everyone have pointed out, educating new racers will be the platform for a brighter future for everyone.

Stop Start penalty, does that mean they have to physically stop? ie in the pitlane or designated area?

Stagger start for qualifying? Does it work with just manual lap counting? Being a young club, we can't afford a AMB system yet. But that will be our first priority as I think that people tend to drive better when they have something to aim for.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Boy I am overwhelmed by the responses. And I think penalty and education goes a long way. So rules will include the necessary guildline to police the racing and like everyone have pointed out, educating new racers will be the platform for a brighter future for everyone.

Stop Start penalty, does that mean they have to physically stop? ie in the pitlane or designated area?

Stagger start for qualifying? Does it work with just manual lap counting? Being a young club, we can't afford a AMB system yet. But that will be our first priority as I think that people tend to drive better when they have something to aim for.
Praise in public.... punish in private.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

If the hacker is running a one-way, a physical stop would make him think twice before he spins our another racer
Old 07-21-2005, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

how about a drivers meeting before the race day and discuss any topics, like the one you are talking about

sometimes the new guys may not know the proper etiquette and it is up the more expericed drivers to show them the ropes "polietly" not yelling at them on the drivers stand or on the way down the stairs, YOU COST ME TQ!!!

i can give one example that happened to me last week, i was coming up on a pretty clean driver, and he said to me go ahead, as to let me pass, but his idea was to come to a "complete" stop on the race line as i was coming up on him . . .YEP you guessed it, i ran it up his A$$ on accident of course . . .i wasnt that upset about it those kind of things happen . . .

and then he yelled at me for hitting him . .

Rubbin's Racing . . .

LATE,
Chris08527
JRC
Old 07-21-2005, 05:50 PM
Tech Adept

hey fellas, i agree with everything your saying it does suck to get taken out constantly. but i reckon with passing moves its not up to the slower guy to get out of the way the better driver should be good enough to get round him.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:50 PM
Tech Addict

Ever notice that in the A mains, the drivers usually have a pretty clean but tight race ?

It is the B and C mains where the most demolition and griping occurs !

As for the D mains, well usually they are having so much fun bashing each others car they're not complaining !

So I guess it has something to do with the skill level

....just my 2 cents worth.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TRF_StEvE
but i reckon with passing moves its not up to the slower guy to get out of the way the better driver should be good enough to get round him.
steve,

in a main on the same lap i kinda agree, if a guy has way more HP then me,and is a better driver i get off the line enough to allow the pass, keeps us both going fast at costing me a couple of tenths maybe,

but in a qual. i do not agree, if you are getting lapped i think the lapper should move over and allow the pass

that is just me though

Chris08527

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.