Like Tree305Likes

Xray X1 - Formula One Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 04:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
Meccano?

Yes, brilliant creation about 100 years ago..I had multiple sets as a kid, and since I don't have blank carbon fiber sheets and a CNC machine I use what I have "in stock".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meccano

Cheers
Old 01-13-2018, 03:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kilohertz
Had a little time today so I opened up my son's Meccano set and started fabricating some chassis stiffeners, and then decided to extend the shock mount. Pics show the results. Track time this Sunday will see if it's better/worse. Easy to mod the shock position with the extra holes. My servo is mounted the standard way with the posts attached to the chassis, I used the floating mount inverted and then added the Meccano piece to join the original shock location to the carbon floating servo mount, spacing worked perfectly, no drilling or modding required. Used a 4mm plastic bushing/spacer that fit right inside the shock spring holder to keep it centered, threaded the T4 standoffs together and everything fit perfectly. Needed one 4mm spacer at the end of the standoffs to get a little more droop, looks good on the workbench, we'll see Sunday.

Cheers
For my point of view , i think it's not a good idea. The shock extender is precisely a way to get more rear grip with the chassis flex. with this plate you suppress the flex betwen front and rear main chassis.
VBC tried this kind of setup with is first lightning (without the extender) , but the front wasn't able to get enough grip , the car was always a bit "pushy"

My 2 cents
Old 01-13-2018, 08:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ph3nyx
For my point of view , i think it's not a good idea. The shock extender is precisely a way to get more rear grip with the chassis flex. with this plate you suppress the flex betwen front and rear main chassis.
VBC tried this kind of setup with is first lightning (without the extender) , but the front wasn't able to get enough grip , the car was always a bit "pushy"

My 2 cents
Well thank you for your input, I have read some of your other posts and I believe you know what you are talking about. I left the extender in, but removed the link plate. Thanks! The extender still picks up the hole in the carbon floating steering plate.

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow after a day of racing.

Cheers
Old 01-18-2018, 03:11 PM
Tech Regular

Hello have anyone tried montech new spoilers. Thanks
Old 01-18-2018, 04:16 PM
Tech Regular

Yes i've tested them several times. for me the 3 wings gives a lot of front (too much depending on your track grip) so i usualy ride with the 2 wing or no additional wing at all.
Also very very durable !

the cons for me is the look with the additionnal wings , maybe i'll make a printed 3D part for this
Old 01-21-2018, 09:06 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Has anyone done testing of front swaybars or no front swaybars on CRC black carpet on what is better? Haven't had the chance to do extensive testing on them. Just wanted to gather some opinions.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
Has anyone done testing of front swaybars or no front swaybars on CRC black carpet on what is better? Haven't had the chance to do extensive testing on them. Just wanted to gather some opinions.
I personally don't use them. Seems to enhance the traction roll issue on the carpet for me.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I have had good luck with Montech wings. A lot of our track members use them. We all boil them for 10 minutes prior to use and find durability goes up. I agree with previous comment on the sway bar. It can contribute to traction rolling on black carpet. If grip is low I’ll use it, but once the car gets tippy off it comes. I suggest trying it both ways as it’s simple to take off.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:37 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for reply on the wings.

What about the fênix diff does it make a difference thanks
Old 01-24-2018, 07:50 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Thanks for the input guys. I removed them to try on the next race.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nuno Gancho
Thanks for reply on the wings.

What about the fênix diff does it make a difference thanks
The main difference with the diff is instant acceleration, like a locked diff, but you can adjust the feel better. I have been using different viscosity silicone to adjust the cars rotation in the corners. Thicker makes the car push, thinner turns harder. Still wish there was sealed version though.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:17 PM
Tech Regular

At outdoor with med grip will it make difference thanks

What tires are good for outdoor currently using ride R1 but since side walk quite big it gets damaged after crash any suggestion thanks can use any tire
Old 01-25-2018, 07:57 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

For outdoors medium traction, I prefer the ball diff. Even in high traction outdoors, I prefer the ball diff still. I've tried the gear diff on asphalt before but didn't like it too much. Love it for carpet though.

Tires, I've tried them all but still prefer the Pit Shimizu tires 571/572, TCS, CRC (pretty much all the same). See what the fast guys are running since other tires may work better depending on the track.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

What springs are y'all running when you run with no swaybars
Old 01-25-2018, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

My car I'm running no sway bar and no glue on the tires and it doesn't traction roll on the crc black carpet. I'm running the softest xray front spring and the black side springs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.