Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya TRF418

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 12:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Raman
Did you loosen the suspension mounts (single piece and separates) to see if you gain the 0.5 mm back?
I didnt. But I just had all of that off the car and everything was flat. I checked it on my setup board before I put it back on. im not sure this has been an issue from the begining as i just started checking the ride height on both sides of the chassis. (Ive only ran the car two weeknds since brand new)
Old 04-18-2014, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NickGroves
Hopefully someone can give me some pointers/advice here... all shocks are the same eye to eye, ive backed out the droop screws and disconnected the sway bars, and the chassis in ballanced left to right. But for some reason im getting a half millimeter difference from left to right with the shock collars set at the same setting left to right. Left front and rear read 6mm and right front and rear read 5.5mm. The chassis sits flat on the table.
Assuming your chassis is flat, nothing is bent, shock lengths are even, shock spring collars are even, and nothing else is bound up, how have you balanced the chassis? I've used the 4 separate scale method which does your head in . Used the two Hudy pivot blocks, not a fan either as it not fluid enough. I prefer using one Hudy pivot block and fishing line method. This allows Frt and Rr check as well as diagonal differences.

If all is still good, then who is to say the springs are exactly the same tension. Maybe try swapping the springs around onto different corners, or another set/brand of springs, or if all else fails invest in a tweak station...

NB> If not already, you must use verniers calipers for accurate measurement of Shocks etc...

Hope this helps

Last edited by 2-Bad; 04-18-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hopefully someone can give me some pointers/advice here... all shocks are the same eye to eye, ive backed out the droop screws and disconnected the sway bars, and the chassis in ballanced left to right. But for some reason im getting a half millimeter difference from left to right with the shock collars set at the same setting left to right. Left front and rear read 6mm and right front and rear read 5.5mm. The chassis sits flat on the table.
I would also check the belt tension and as noted springs. Not sure if you own a hudy tweak station but I wouldn't mess with any other stuff. That's the best method.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:03 AM
Tech Regular

Hi Nick

From Hudy there is a Chassis balancing tool (link)

Before you have to spend a lot of money you should first start with the small things
Old 04-21-2014, 03:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Shock towers are tweaked, happens a lot on the Tamiya
Old 04-23-2014, 12:41 AM
Tech Elite

Back in stock at RCMart now.

$550 US.

Others would likely follow shortly.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:23 AM
Tech Regular

Yesterday I had time to test my 418 on our home track at RC Erdferkel (http://www.rc-erdferkel.de/).

The car was very good after small setup changes. I built in front HPI Silver and rear HPI blue. A new Mazda GX which is very neutral and looks good.
Tires I took the Ride 28 and Gear Ratio I drove 5.5 .

Next time I would change the Gear ratio to 5 or 5.2 to check the car again.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF418-418.jpg  
Old 04-25-2014, 05:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Simmi
Yesterday I had time to test my 418 on our home track at RC Erdferkel (http://www.rc-erdferkel.de/).

The car was very good after small setup changes. I built in front HPI Silver and rear HPI blue. A new Mazda GX which is very neutral and looks good.
Tires I took the Ride 28 and Gear Ratio I drove 5.5 .

Next time I would change the Gear ratio to 5 or 5.2 to check the car again.
Nice Car and track What turn motor are you running?
Old 04-25-2014, 09:28 AM
Tech Adept

Old 04-25-2014, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CraigM
Shock towers are tweaked, happens a lot on the Tamiya
Not necessarily tweaked, but because there are no locating dowels on the shock support plate or bulkheads, the four screws can not guarantee a dead accurate position, hence .5mm difference easy to appear. I would revisit the lower bulkhead screws to the chassis plate, and then tighten the four screws whilst making sure the shock support is dead straight left to right.

That said, I would also check the top shock screws are in corresponding holes on the shock support left and right. Just sayin'.

On the other hand it is amazing how Tamiya went to the length it did in some areas to give the kit a top notch standard and totally screwed up elementary (and functionally important) details like these. For a kit at this price point I think they could have replaced two of the shock support plate screws with locating dowels. Especially since the upper bulkheads are split. Same problem with the split suspension hinge pin holders, top deck, upper bulkheads (keyed, but only for show). Oh, well. There'll be a TRF418X version soon, no worries.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 2-Bad
Assuming your chassis is flat, nothing is bent, shock lengths are even, shock spring collars are even, and nothing else is bound up, how have you balanced the chassis? I've used the 4 separate scale method which does your head in . Used the two Hudy pivot blocks, not a fan either as it not fluid enough. I prefer using one Hudy pivot block and fishing line method. This allows Frt and Rr check as well as diagonal differences.

If all is still good, then who is to say the springs are exactly the same tension. Maybe try swapping the springs around onto different corners, or another set/brand of springs, or if all else fails invest in a tweak station...

NB> If not already, you must use verniers calipers for accurate measurement of Shocks etc...

Hope this helps
What is the fishing line method?

Springs don't count as long as shocks are equal length. Besides, balancing the chassis doesn't have anything to do with this problem. The man complains there's more travel on one side than the other, not more load.

I used an integy balancing station or the four scale method to balance cars, but I found working by eye works just as well. Or maybe I just don't fret so much any more these days. Close enough is good enough.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:12 AM
Tech Regular

Yes I only run 13,5

Very intersting News from Kentech, new Chassis, Topdeck and Motor Mount.

http://kentech.blogs.se/2014/04/
Old 04-26-2014, 07:24 AM
Tech Master

Yep, the Samix has been in test for a while, and it looks like its been getting some very good results on asphalt. They have some other interesting things in the pipeline as well.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:30 PM
Tech Master

Just installed a bezerk chassis, short shocks, and smokem towers. Anticipating better performance on carpet.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by b20btec
Just installed a bezerk chassis, short shocks, and smokem towers. Anticipating better performance on carpet.
Very nice! Did you use the 2 hole or 3 hole Pistons? I have a set I haven't built yet and I also run on a low grip carpet track. What shock oil did you use?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.