Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya TRF418

Old 04-14-2014, 01:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Nick can you post your full setup? It's really the only way to get proper advice/opinions from people...
Old 04-14-2014, 06:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by frozenpod
Nick it looks like you need a touch more camber.

What additive are you using, are you using warmers?
No tire warmers. I was using Brian Kinwald sauce, but I switched over to paragon tire sauce on the second day of running.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2-Bad
Nick can you post your full setup? It's really the only way to get proper advice/opinions from people...
Yeah sorry here it is. I was actually having a bit of a problem with over steer so I took the sway bar off. Also planning on going back to the 3rd hole in the rear shock tower. Any other input would be great. Track is medium traction parking lot.

I also have a front gear diff to try with 1m and 1K rear diff as well.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Hobbytown.pdf (402.9 KB, 560 views)
Old 04-14-2014, 06:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

either a.) more camber, or b.) harder springs so the car wont roll too far into the side walls.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by NickGroves
Yeah sorry here it is. I was actually having a bit of a problem with over steer so I took the sway bar off. Also planning on going back to the 3rd hole in the rear shock tower. Any other input would be great. Track is medium traction parking lot.

I also have a front gear diff to try with 1m and 1K rear diff as well.
I think that is a good idea going to a 1k diff and put the swap bar back. You might like to try 5 & 4 droop, and then if still no grip try going to softer springs (maybe some Ride greens), and ...

Hope this helps.

Last edited by 2-Bad; 04-14-2014 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

I think that is a good idea going to a 1k diff and put the swap bar back. You might like to try 5 & 4 droop, and then if still no grip try going to softer springs (maybe some Ride greens), and ...

Hope this helps.

Well I have HPI blues in my box so I might give those a try. what do you think about the above mentioned on going to harder springs? (Not trying to start a argument)

And as minami said more camber? Half degree to much?
Old 04-14-2014, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Well I have HPI blues in my box so I might give those a try. what do you think about the above mentioned on going to harder springs? (Not trying to start a argument)

And as minami said more camber? Half degree to much?
I would suggest in order of the following;
6 & 5 droop is not enough droop. Your car is running too flat and stopping the suspension from getting any mechanical grip, hence graining the outside edge of the tyre. 5 & 4 would be what I would suggest to start with.
I agreed 3k is too heavy and 1k would be better for outdoor asphalt carpark track.
Then if still not enough grip, go to a softer spring.

You never showed your camber setting on your sheet so start with 1.5 deg Frt, and 2 deg Rr.

Your shock oil, shock angle, and the rest all seems fine.

As you have put up your setup sheet, ppl now can offer advice (advice is free, lol). It's up to you now to determine which advice best suits your conditions as we here can only estimate those (one persons medium grip carpark is another's low grip permanent track).

Good Luck!
Old 04-14-2014, 09:35 AM
Tech Regular

Hi Nick

Look for your Suspension arms if they works free and turn down the ground clearance to 5 all or 5 front back 5,2. 5,5 is to high.

And how 2-Bad write look at your camber 1,5 front 2 back. You'll notice a difference.

The rest looks pretty good.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

I would suggest in order of the following;
6 & 5 droop is not enough droop. Your car is running too flat and stopping the suspension from getting any mechanical grip, hence graining the outside edge of the tyre. 5 & 4 would be what I would suggest to start with.
I agreed 3k is too heavy and 1k would be better for outdoor asphalt carpark track.
Then if still not enough grip, go to a softer spring.

You never showed your camber setting on your sheet so start with 1.5 deg Frt, and 2 deg Rr.

Your shock oil, shock angle, and the rest all seems fine.

As you have put up your setup sheet, ppl now can offer advice (advice is free, lol). It's up to you now to determine which advice best suits your conditions as we here can only estimate those (one persons medium grip carpark is another's low grip permanent track).

Good Luck!

I am at 1.5 and 2 on camber. I thought I added that in there.

Thank you for your input I will give this all a try!
Old 04-14-2014, 09:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Simmi
Hi Nick

Look for your Suspension arms if they works free and turn down the ground clearance to 5 all or 5 front back 5,2. 5,5 is to high.

And how 2-Bad write look at your camber 1,5 front 2 back. You'll notice a difference.

The rest looks pretty good.
You think 5 will be ok for a parking lot? Its not supper bumpy but its not smooth ether?

And im at 1.5f and 2r on the camber. Must have missed it on the sheet. are you saying to go to 2 front and rear?

And all my suspension is free moving.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

I wouldn't run lower than 6 unless it was a permanent track like Tamiya, Jackson, Full Throttle, etc. Try running 800 in the rear diff before making too many changes. 3k was way too high for a med grip parking lot. I would stay with 32.5 and HPI silvers in the shocks though.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

haven't used Sorex for a long a time and I didn't look at your setup sheet a while ago, but 1.5/2 degrees camber is on the high side for sorex iirc.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jethroz
I wouldn't run lower than 6 unless it was a permanent track like Tamiya, Jackson, Full Throttle, etc. Try running 800 in the rear diff before making too many changes. 3k was way too high for a med grip parking lot. I would stay with 32.5 and HPI silvers in the shocks though.
Is that 6mm of ride height? And if that is to just save the chassis honestly im not worried about that. I will be putting a new one on for reedy race next month.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Is that 6mm of ride height? And if that is to just save the chassis honestly im not worried about that. I will be putting a new one on for reedy race next month.
Basically, run what ride height prevents the car from dragging the edges hard enough to have an effect on the handling of the car. My particular parking lot track requires me to run 6mm. If I go lower it will begin to drag in high-speed and high brake areas. As far as a parking lot is considered, it's medium, but on the smooth side.

Last edited by Jethroz; 04-14-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Does the TRF418 come with DJC's?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.