Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya TRF418

Old 04-18-2014, 12:12 PM
  #901  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 67
Default

Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Did you loosen the suspension mounts (single piece and separates) to see if you gain the 0.5 mm back?
I didnt. But I just had all of that off the car and everything was flat. I checked it on my setup board before I put it back on. im not sure this has been an issue from the begining as i just started checking the ride height on both sides of the chassis. (Ive only ran the car two weeknds since brand new)
NickGroves is offline  
Old 04-18-2014, 05:27 PM
  #902  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
2-Bad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,725
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by NickGroves View Post
Hopefully someone can give me some pointers/advice here... all shocks are the same eye to eye, ive backed out the droop screws and disconnected the sway bars, and the chassis in ballanced left to right. But for some reason im getting a half millimeter difference from left to right with the shock collars set at the same setting left to right. Left front and rear read 6mm and right front and rear read 5.5mm. The chassis sits flat on the table.
Assuming your chassis is flat, nothing is bent, shock lengths are even, shock spring collars are even, and nothing else is bound up, how have you balanced the chassis? I've used the 4 separate scale method which does your head in . Used the two Hudy pivot blocks, not a fan either as it not fluid enough. I prefer using one Hudy pivot block and fishing line method. This allows Frt and Rr check as well as diagonal differences.

If all is still good, then who is to say the springs are exactly the same tension. Maybe try swapping the springs around onto different corners, or another set/brand of springs, or if all else fails invest in a tweak station...

NB> If not already, you must use verniers calipers for accurate measurement of Shocks etc...


Hope this helps

Last edited by 2-Bad; 04-18-2014 at 05:42 PM.
2-Bad is offline  
Old 04-18-2014, 06:57 PM
  #903  
Tech Master
iTrader: (11)
 
b20btec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugar Land
Posts: 1,179
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by NickGroves View Post
Hopefully someone can give me some pointers/advice here... all shocks are the same eye to eye, ive backed out the droop screws and disconnected the sway bars, and the chassis in ballanced left to right. But for some reason im getting a half millimeter difference from left to right with the shock collars set at the same setting left to right. Left front and rear read 6mm and right front and rear read 5.5mm. The chassis sits flat on the table.
I would also check the belt tension and as noted springs. Not sure if you own a hudy tweak station but I wouldn't mess with any other stuff. That's the best method.
b20btec is offline  
Old 04-20-2014, 01:03 AM
  #904  
Tech Regular
 
Simmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 307
Default

Hi Nick

From Hudy there is a Chassis balancing tool (link)

Before you have to spend a lot of money you should first start with the small things
Simmi is offline  
Old 04-21-2014, 03:17 AM
  #905  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by NickGroves View Post
Hopefully someone can give me some pointers/advice here... all shocks are the same eye to eye, ive backed out the droop screws and disconnected the sway bars, and the chassis in ballanced left to right. But for some reason im getting a half millimeter difference from left to right with the shock collars set at the same setting left to right. Left front and rear read 6mm and right front and rear read 5.5mm. The chassis sits flat on the table.
Shock towers are tweaked, happens a lot on the Tamiya
CraigM is offline  
Old 04-23-2014, 12:41 AM
  #906  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,670
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Back in stock at RCMart now.

$550 US.

Others would likely follow shortly.
cplus is offline  
Old 04-25-2014, 12:23 AM
  #907  
Tech Regular
 
Simmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 307
Default

Yesterday I had time to test my 418 on our home track at RC Erdferkel (http://www.rc-erdferkel.de/).

The car was very good after small setup changes. I built in front HPI Silver and rear HPI blue. A new Mazda GX which is very neutral and looks good.
Tires I took the Ride 28 and Gear Ratio I drove 5.5 .

Next time I would change the Gear ratio to 5 or 5.2 to check the car again.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF418-418.jpg  
Simmi is offline  
Old 04-25-2014, 05:21 AM
  #908  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: santa monica / manchester
Posts: 1,375
Default

Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Yesterday I had time to test my 418 on our home track at RC Erdferkel (http://www.rc-erdferkel.de/).

The car was very good after small setup changes. I built in front HPI Silver and rear HPI blue. A new Mazda GX which is very neutral and looks good.
Tires I took the Ride 28 and Gear Ratio I drove 5.5 .

Next time I would change the Gear ratio to 5 or 5.2 to check the car again.
Nice Car and track What turn motor are you running?
Qatmix is offline  
Old 04-25-2014, 09:28 AM
  #909  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: France
Posts: 123
Default

13.5
Awesoman is offline  
Old 04-25-2014, 09:50 AM
  #910  
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,974
Default

Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Shock towers are tweaked, happens a lot on the Tamiya
Not necessarily tweaked, but because there are no locating dowels on the shock support plate or bulkheads, the four screws can not guarantee a dead accurate position, hence .5mm difference easy to appear. I would revisit the lower bulkhead screws to the chassis plate, and then tighten the four screws whilst making sure the shock support is dead straight left to right.

That said, I would also check the top shock screws are in corresponding holes on the shock support left and right. Just sayin'.

On the other hand it is amazing how Tamiya went to the length it did in some areas to give the kit a top notch standard and totally screwed up elementary (and functionally important) details like these. For a kit at this price point I think they could have replaced two of the shock support plate screws with locating dowels. Especially since the upper bulkheads are split. Same problem with the split suspension hinge pin holders, top deck, upper bulkheads (keyed, but only for show). Oh, well. There'll be a TRF418X version soon, no worries.
niznai is offline  
Old 04-25-2014, 10:03 AM
  #911  
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,974
Default

Originally Posted by 2-Bad View Post
Assuming your chassis is flat, nothing is bent, shock lengths are even, shock spring collars are even, and nothing else is bound up, how have you balanced the chassis? I've used the 4 separate scale method which does your head in . Used the two Hudy pivot blocks, not a fan either as it not fluid enough. I prefer using one Hudy pivot block and fishing line method. This allows Frt and Rr check as well as diagonal differences.

If all is still good, then who is to say the springs are exactly the same tension. Maybe try swapping the springs around onto different corners, or another set/brand of springs, or if all else fails invest in a tweak station...

NB> If not already, you must use verniers calipers for accurate measurement of Shocks etc...


Hope this helps
What is the fishing line method?

Springs don't count as long as shocks are equal length. Besides, balancing the chassis doesn't have anything to do with this problem. The man complains there's more travel on one side than the other, not more load.

I used an integy balancing station or the four scale method to balance cars, but I found working by eye works just as well. Or maybe I just don't fret so much any more these days. Close enough is good enough.
niznai is offline  
Old 04-26-2014, 01:12 AM
  #912  
Tech Regular
 
Simmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 307
Default

Yes I only run 13,5

Very intersting News from Kentech, new Chassis, Topdeck and Motor Mount.

http://kentech.blogs.se/2014/04/
Simmi is offline  
Old 04-26-2014, 07:24 AM
  #913  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: santa monica / manchester
Posts: 1,375
Default

Yep, the Samix has been in test for a while, and it looks like its been getting some very good results on asphalt. They have some other interesting things in the pipeline as well.
Qatmix is offline  
Old 04-26-2014, 02:30 PM
  #914  
Tech Master
iTrader: (11)
 
b20btec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugar Land
Posts: 1,179
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Just installed a bezerk chassis, short shocks, and smokem towers. Anticipating better performance on carpet.



b20btec is offline  
Old 04-26-2014, 05:54 PM
  #915  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 129
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by b20btec View Post
Just installed a bezerk chassis, short shocks, and smokem towers. Anticipating better performance on carpet.
Very nice! Did you use the 2 hole or 3 hole Pistons? I have a set I haven't built yet and I also run on a low grip carpet track. What shock oil did you use?
c2tcardin is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.