Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya TRF418

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

So those that have been running these for a while, what do you consider to be essential mods/hopups? And also bits and bobs to order from the get go - like additional shims/spacers perhaps?

I've got a stash of Ti screws ready to go, TRF body mounts and a bundle of 5.5mm spacers but looking for ideas of what else to add to the shopping cart to make the most of extortion level shipping costs to Aus.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia
I've had tamiyas from the 414 days. All the shock collars fit.
Originally Posted by ittjv
I think he means the black plastic collars that are thinner. Let's you run lower without needing the down type retainers.
I'm not sure if they are plastic or aluminum, I thought they were Aluminum but I need them to be a thin knurling so longer springs fit on my car (not Tamiya)

Just looking for some help and I thought this was the best place to ask.

picture attached for what I'm looking for
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF418-tam53571-2.jpg  
Old 03-10-2014, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

the thin spring adjusters come with the mini TRF shocks... might want to look for someone who has a set and replaced them with the blue ones. problem with the thin one is that there's no o-ring on it so it tends to adjust itself on bumpy tracks and crashes...

3Racing has the same kind (but with a notch)... just a thought since you'd probably have to buy a full set of shocks to get the adjusters...
Old 03-10-2014, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chicky03
I'm not sure if they are plastic or aluminum, I thought they were Aluminum but I need them to be a thin knurling so longer springs fit on my car (not Tamiya)

Just looking for some help and I thought this was the best place to ask.

picture attached for what I'm looking for
Email me your address and I'll send you a set [email protected]
Old 03-10-2014, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Juan..did you buy a 418 yet? Hows the TB04 treating you?
Old 03-10-2014, 11:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cplus
So those that have been running these for a while, what do you consider to be essential mods/hopups? And also bits and bobs to order from the get go - like additional shims/spacers perhaps?

I've got a stash of Ti screws ready to go, TRF body mounts and a bundle of 5.5mm spacers but looking for ideas of what else to add to the shopping cart to make the most of extortion level shipping costs to Aus.
Essentials in my opinion are non-bladed front spool outputs (I have the Roche ones or Tamiya did supply them with the previous 417V5), the silicone TRF diff o-rings and an extra set of thin diff shims to reshim the diff afterwards. The one-piece "top hats" for the front caster blocks are a nice option, save a lot of hassle when rebuilding. You will also need some springs, HPI Silvers and Pinks is what I have now. Tamiya's springs have too big a step between them and the kit set are quite soft.

Build is straightforward but if you put the belt tensioner on the lower deck it acts as a battery guide for the back of the pack which is otherwise missing. The front bumper is a little thicker than the chassis so I shave it down a bit to get a smooth bottom that won't fail on ride height. You might also want to stand the servo-mount Lipo mounts up and put a screw in them rather than cut them down (which was the mistake I made).

Obviously there is a huge selection of tuning parts that fit from Tamiya's past touring cars (suspension blocks, caster blocks, roll-centre spacers etc) but I have yet to find a setup that is noticeably better than the kit setup. So buy as many or as few of those parts as you want!
Old 03-11-2014, 02:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JoeyE
Juan..did you buy a 418 yet? Hows the TB04 treating you?
I don't have any intentions of buying the 418. I've only raced once since I last saw you. I ran the TB04 at ripon. It was on pace with everyone there. But it needed a little more. I will try it one more time this Saturday at ripon. It should be really good. You going to make it?
Old 03-11-2014, 03:04 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sosidge
Essentials in my opinion are non-bladed front spool outputs ...
In stock-class I actually prefer the spool outdrives with blades. Following the advice of someone here in the forum I cooked the blades before using them. Can't really tell if that makes a difference, but I replace them only every 4 to 5 races because of wear and they only break once in a while after a hard crash. But the metal parts (outdrives and drive shafts) stay intact.

With the non-bladed outdrives I had to replace the (then quite worn in) outdrives after a few races and also sometimes the drive shafts because even the pins on the shafts went flat. Maybe there's a trick that I don't know about to make the outdrives last longer, but I found that rather expensive. And I've had them all, Tamiya, Roche, 3Racing, Arena, etc...

Christian
Old 03-11-2014, 04:10 AM
Tech Elite

Essentials in my opinion are non-bladed front spool outputs (I have the Roche ones or Tamiya did supply them with the previous 417V5)
According to the manuals the V5 and 418 both use part number 19804512 for the spool output cups (Direct Cup in tamiya speak)

#54544 as far as I can tell are one and the same item?

I want some roche blades, I just think they look cool. Very cheap mod

the silicone TRF diff o-rings and an extra set of thin diff shims to reshim the diff afterwards.
These are in the tool box already from building TA06 diffs

And check, $3 for 5mm shims to the shopping cart. Ouch.

The one-piece "top hats" for the front caster blocks are a nice option, save a lot of hassle when rebuilding.
Tuber spacer? Got them from my Ta06 build. Brilliant, much better the the stock with a shim. Will re use.

You will also need some springs, HPI Silvers and Pinks is what I have now. Tamiya's springs have too big a step between them and the kit set are quite soft.
Cool. HPI silver seems to come up in every review from recent times. It will be 100% asphalt running for me.

Obviously there is a huge selection of tuning parts that fit from Tamiya's past touring cars (suspension blocks, caster blocks, roll-centre spacers etc) but I have yet to find a setup that is noticeably better than the kit setup. So buy as many or as few of those parts as you want!
I've got a few blocks with the TA06, but typically, they pretty similar to the stock 418 (I've got two pair of 1A/1XA separates and a 1B and 1E one piece).

Also have carbon 6deg caster blocks I have never used either that will fit. They are the wide opening version too, so good for DCJ's.

Good to hear that kit settings are a very solid base.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:21 AM
Tech Elite

On the out drives, do you mean like these from roche?

And the use no blades, just steel on steel? Sounds like a recipe for wear (for me anyway!)
Old 03-11-2014, 05:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Essentials in my opinion are non-bladed front spool outputs (I have the Roche ones or Tamiya did supply them with the previous 417V5), the silicone TRF diff o-rings and an extra set of thin diff shims to reshim the diff afterwards. The one-piece "top hats" for the front caster blocks are a nice option, save a lot of hassle when rebuilding. You will also need some springs, HPI Silvers and Pinks is what I have now. Tamiya's springs have too big a step between them and the kit set are quite soft.

Build is straightforward but if you put the belt tensioner on the lower deck it acts as a battery guide for the back of the pack which is otherwise missing. The front bumper is a little thicker than the chassis so I shave it down a bit to get a smooth bottom that won't fail on ride height. You might also want to stand the servo-mount Lipo mounts up and put a screw in them rather than cut them down (which was the mistake I made).

Are the black kit diff orings no good?
Old 03-11-2014, 05:48 AM
Tech Master

Not the best, they can leak. The red ones do not leak, and they only cost a couple of quid
Old 03-11-2014, 06:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

...but I have yet to find a setup that is noticeably better than the kit setup.
Went through my car yesterday and noticed my track-side adjustments over the past few weeks have basically put the car back to kit setup.

Personally, I feel the setup range is much more narrow than in previous TRF kits and fast comes with a lot more drop-off in ease of driving.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:52 AM
Tech Adept

I changed the outdrives, the rear driveshafts and front DCS to spring steel ones
Old 03-11-2014, 09:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Coming soon... Some much needed flex!
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF418-81012.jpg  

Last edited by Smokem Racing; 03-11-2014 at 10:08 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.