Wiki Posts
Search

F201

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 04:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by badboy
Neil Rabara & Nova F1 Racer : thanks guys.
You're welcome, it seems the website www.formula1-rc.com
is down since last night.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

The reinforced Tamiya arms still have quite a bit of flex, so a large amount of the suspension travel is due to the flex. With the alum arms, there is considerably more action on the shocks that even the reinforced arms have. It's really noticeable. Maybe I'll bring my club car to the TCS race in June so you can check it out.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by psycho
The reinforced Tamiya arms still have quite a bit of flex, so a large amount of the suspension travel is due to the flex. With the alum arms, there is considerably more action on the shocks that even the reinforced arms have. It's really noticeable. Maybe I'll bring my club car to the TCS race in June so you can check it out.
Since there is no actual flex, how does it handle on colder days, or when the track is loose? If the arms are aluminum, how does that it affect the unsprung weight of the car? Sorry for the questions, I'm just curious.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tamiya Raceway

Hey Guys, Im moving to Long Beach this summer and I am really looking forward to racing at the Tamiya USA track... but! What is the schedule there? Is there any website i can check the track out at? There was some ttlocals.com which never worked and I really want to know the rules for each track. I would prefer no chassis limits and no wieght limit but it seems like a lot of tracks want to keep only tamiya parts... Anyways... i am rambling... let me know guys!
Ian
Old 02-29-2004, 09:44 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Tamiya Raceway

Originally posted by Ian_da_bomb
Hey Guys, Im moving to Long Beach this summer and I am really looking forward to racing at the Tamiya USA track... but! What is the schedule there? Is there any website i can check the track out at? There was some ttlocals.com which never worked and I really want to know the rules for each track. I would prefer no chassis limits and no wieght limit but it seems like a lot of tracks want to keep only tamiya parts... Anyways... i am rambling... let me know guys!
Ian
Ian, Tamiya doesn't have a race program. It is a test facility open to the public on saturdays only. Usually everyone just practices all day until it closes at 4pm. Here is the thread for Tamiya America Raceway:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...339#post743339
Old 03-01-2004, 05:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the tips guys, I've decided not to get the FPM arms (very cool but just too expensive) but apparently the other stuff they have is worthwhile.

Formula1-RC already deleted the option motor mount from my invoice request (b/c the chassis set includes one - that was nice of them!) but they're out of Williams bodies

I'll leave off the rear uni's and Tobee shocks. Hopefully they have the Tamiya versions. And I have plenty of shims, hopefully the car won't require too much shimming!

The main problem is justifying the cost of ordering the parts - there doesn't seem to be much F1 r/c racing in England!
Old 03-01-2004, 07:19 AM
Tech Champion

Unfortunately, it seems the F201 is less popular then Tamiya would have hoped, at least in comparison to the F103. I know we tried to get a class of them going here, and I think we raced in 3 times. The other 4-5 times we tried to race, someone either broke in practice and didn't have replacement parts, didn't have time to install the replacement parts and practice with them to make sure everything was ok, or simply could not get the car handling right. It's sad because we could normally get 4-8 F103's to show up at the drop of a hat. Yes, the F201's look more realistic, but I think in the long run even Tamiya will agree that the F103 was a better concept.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:22 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by RC Driver Gary
Unfortunately, it seems the F201 is less popular then Tamiya would have hoped, at least in comparison to the F103. I know we tried to get a class of them going here, and I think we raced in 3 times. The other 4-5 times we tried to race, someone either broke in practice and didn't have replacement parts, didn't have time to install the replacement parts and practice with them to make sure everything was ok, or simply could not get the car handling right. It's sad because we could normally get 4-8 F103's to show up at the drop of a hat. Yes, the F201's look more realistic, but I think in the long run even Tamiya will agree that the F103 was a better concept.
Here in the DC area we have 7-15 show up every week at the indoor track in MD and it's getting more and more attention each week.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:29 AM
Tech Champion

How is that turnout compared to when the F103 was arround? Oh, the other thing that keeps me from running my F201 much....Effing stick packs.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:57 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by RC Driver Gary
How is that turnout compared to when the F103 was arround? Oh, the other thing that keeps me from running my F201 much....Effing stick packs.
We have an F103 that runs with us now... The F201 is gaining but the problem is the 2 other vendors make the upgraded chassis and some people are stickler for TCS rules...

Time will tell... I'm still waiting for my Nitro F201..... Thay say May... I'ma hoping that it gets finished in May!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2004, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

I'm thinking of getting a nitro F201 also. Either the FPM car, or the other one that's on Formula-one rc.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

Neil Rabara,

The total difference in weight between the kit arms and the alum arms is 4 grams for the front and 4 grams for the rear (for a total of 8 grams for the whole car.) I was really surprised when I first weighed them, since I expected a much larger weight difference. When I raced my car for the first time after switching to the alum arms, I didn't change anything else on my setup, because I wanted to see the difference. I found that I needed quite a bit more dampening with the alum arms. I suspect this was due to the increased suspension travel. I am running the Square (brand) 2 hole pistons and had to go from 40 weight oil to 60 weight oil. My feelings about the lack of suspension flex is that it makes the car more responsive and it doesn't "wallow around" as much as usual.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:55 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Need some advise....

I have a F201 and the local carpet track only allows foams to run.

After reading several pages on this thread, is there any US stores that have foams for the F201.

Old 03-01-2004, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Tres
Need some advise....

I have a F201 and the local carpet track only allows foams to run.

After reading several pages on this thread, is there any US stores that have foams for the F201.

Well, normal sedan rims will fit the F201. The hex's are the same. The only problem is it isn't to scale, in other words it won't look like a formula car. But to answer your question, I don't believe that there are any foams mounted on rims made specifically for the F201.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Neil Rabara
Well, normal sedan rims will fit the F201. The hex's are the same. The only problem is it isn't to scale, in other words it won't look like a formula car. But to answer your question, I don't believe that there are any foams mounted on rims made specifically for the F201.
We have our local hobby shop make them for us in Va/DC/MD area, they actually use Tamiya F201 rims and glue the faoms on and then true them....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.