R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2004, 05:46 AM   #1216
Tech Champion
 
Nova F1 Racer's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Peoples Republic of Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,682
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by badboy
Neil Rabara & Nova F1 Racer : thanks guys.
You're welcome, it seems the website www.formula1-rc.com
is down since last night.
__________________
This is DICK!!! And you're NOT!
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 09:26 PM   #1217
Tech Master
 
psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 1,520
Default

The reinforced Tamiya arms still have quite a bit of flex, so a large amount of the suspension travel is due to the flex. With the alum arms, there is considerably more action on the shocks that even the reinforced arms have. It's really noticeable. Maybe I'll bring my club car to the TCS race in June so you can check it out.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 01:11 AM   #1218
Tech Elite
 
Neil Rabara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lone Star
Posts: 4,821
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by psycho
The reinforced Tamiya arms still have quite a bit of flex, so a large amount of the suspension travel is due to the flex. With the alum arms, there is considerably more action on the shocks that even the reinforced arms have. It's really noticeable. Maybe I'll bring my club car to the TCS race in June so you can check it out.
Since there is no actual flex, how does it handle on colder days, or when the track is loose? If the arms are aluminum, how does that it affect the unsprung weight of the car? Sorry for the questions, I'm just curious.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 08:05 PM   #1219
Tech Regular
 
Ian_da_bomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Bay Area/Long Beach, California
Posts: 287
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Ian_da_bomb Send a message via Yahoo to Ian_da_bomb
Default Tamiya Raceway

Hey Guys, Im moving to Long Beach this summer and I am really looking forward to racing at the Tamiya USA track... but! What is the schedule there? Is there any website i can check the track out at? There was some ttlocals.com which never worked and I really want to know the rules for each track. I would prefer no chassis limits and no wieght limit but it seems like a lot of tracks want to keep only tamiya parts... Anyways... i am rambling... let me know guys!
Ian
Ian_da_bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 10:44 PM   #1220
Tech Elite
 
Neil Rabara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lone Star
Posts: 4,821
Default Re: Tamiya Raceway

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian_da_bomb
Hey Guys, Im moving to Long Beach this summer and I am really looking forward to racing at the Tamiya USA track... but! What is the schedule there? Is there any website i can check the track out at? There was some ttlocals.com which never worked and I really want to know the rules for each track. I would prefer no chassis limits and no wieght limit but it seems like a lot of tracks want to keep only tamiya parts... Anyways... i am rambling... let me know guys!
Ian
Ian, Tamiya doesn't have a race program. It is a test facility open to the public on saturdays only. Usually everyone just practices all day until it closes at 4pm. Here is the thread for Tamiya America Raceway:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...339#post743339
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 06:49 AM   #1221
Tech Fanatic
 
Frank McKinney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: A Yank in England
Posts: 755
Default

Thanks for the tips guys, I've decided not to get the FPM arms (very cool but just too expensive) but apparently the other stuff they have is worthwhile.

Formula1-RC already deleted the option motor mount from my invoice request (b/c the chassis set includes one - that was nice of them!) but they're out of Williams bodies

I'll leave off the rear uni's and Tobee shocks. Hopefully they have the Tamiya versions. And I have plenty of shims, hopefully the car won't require too much shimming!

The main problem is justifying the cost of ordering the parts - there doesn't seem to be much F1 r/c racing in England!
__________________
Minimal signature to save screen space! Big sigs suX0r
Frank McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 08:19 AM   #1222
Tech Champion
 
RCGaryK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 7,331
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Unfortunately, it seems the F201 is less popular then Tamiya would have hoped, at least in comparison to the F103. I know we tried to get a class of them going here, and I think we raced in 3 times. The other 4-5 times we tried to race, someone either broke in practice and didn't have replacement parts, didn't have time to install the replacement parts and practice with them to make sure everything was ok, or simply could not get the car handling right. It's sad because we could normally get 4-8 F103's to show up at the drop of a hat. Yes, the F201's look more realistic, but I think in the long run even Tamiya will agree that the F103 was a better concept.
__________________
Site Content Specialist- Surface
HorizonHobby.Com

Horizon Hobby is on YouTube with hundreds of different videos! Visit us at
http://www.youtube.com/HorizonRCdotCom
RCGaryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 08:22 AM   #1223
Tech Champion
 
Nova F1 Racer's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Peoples Republic of Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,682
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by RC Driver Gary
Unfortunately, it seems the F201 is less popular then Tamiya would have hoped, at least in comparison to the F103. I know we tried to get a class of them going here, and I think we raced in 3 times. The other 4-5 times we tried to race, someone either broke in practice and didn't have replacement parts, didn't have time to install the replacement parts and practice with them to make sure everything was ok, or simply could not get the car handling right. It's sad because we could normally get 4-8 F103's to show up at the drop of a hat. Yes, the F201's look more realistic, but I think in the long run even Tamiya will agree that the F103 was a better concept.
Here in the DC area we have 7-15 show up every week at the indoor track in MD and it's getting more and more attention each week.
__________________
This is DICK!!! And you're NOT!
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 08:29 AM   #1224
Tech Champion
 
RCGaryK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 7,331
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

How is that turnout compared to when the F103 was arround? Oh, the other thing that keeps me from running my F201 much....Effing stick packs.
__________________
Site Content Specialist- Surface
HorizonHobby.Com

Horizon Hobby is on YouTube with hundreds of different videos! Visit us at
http://www.youtube.com/HorizonRCdotCom
RCGaryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 09:57 AM   #1225
Tech Champion
 
Nova F1 Racer's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Peoples Republic of Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,682
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by RC Driver Gary
How is that turnout compared to when the F103 was arround? Oh, the other thing that keeps me from running my F201 much....Effing stick packs.
We have an F103 that runs with us now... The F201 is gaining but the problem is the 2 other vendors make the upgraded chassis and some people are stickler for TCS rules...

Time will tell... I'm still waiting for my Nitro F201..... Thay say May... I'ma hoping that it gets finished in May!!!!!!
__________________
This is DICK!!! And you're NOT!
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 11:32 AM   #1226
Tech Elite
 
Neil Rabara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lone Star
Posts: 4,821
Default

I'm thinking of getting a nitro F201 also. Either the FPM car, or the other one that's on Formula-one rc.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 11:35 AM   #1227
Tech Master
 
psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 1,520
Default

Neil Rabara,

The total difference in weight between the kit arms and the alum arms is 4 grams for the front and 4 grams for the rear (for a total of 8 grams for the whole car.) I was really surprised when I first weighed them, since I expected a much larger weight difference. When I raced my car for the first time after switching to the alum arms, I didn't change anything else on my setup, because I wanted to see the difference. I found that I needed quite a bit more dampening with the alum arms. I suspect this was due to the increased suspension travel. I am running the Square (brand) 2 hole pistons and had to go from 40 weight oil to 60 weight oil. My feelings about the lack of suspension flex is that it makes the car more responsive and it doesn't "wallow around" as much as usual.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 11:55 AM   #1228
Company Representative
 
Tres's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: WWW.TNT-FX.COM
Posts: 3,403
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Need some advise....

I have a F201 and the local carpet track only allows foams to run.

After reading several pages on this thread, is there any US stores that have foams for the F201.


__________________
Tre's
TnT-Fx Custom Graphics
www.tnt-fx.com
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 01:30 PM   #1229
Tech Elite
 
Neil Rabara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lone Star
Posts: 4,821
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Tres
Need some advise....

I have a F201 and the local carpet track only allows foams to run.

After reading several pages on this thread, is there any US stores that have foams for the F201.


Well, normal sedan rims will fit the F201. The hex's are the same. The only problem is it isn't to scale, in other words it won't look like a formula car. But to answer your question, I don't believe that there are any foams mounted on rims made specifically for the F201.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 02:02 PM   #1230
Tech Champion
 
Nova F1 Racer's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Peoples Republic of Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,682
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Neil Rabara
Well, normal sedan rims will fit the F201. The hex's are the same. The only problem is it isn't to scale, in other words it won't look like a formula car. But to answer your question, I don't believe that there are any foams mounted on rims made specifically for the F201.
We have our local hobby shop make them for us in Va/DC/MD area, they actually use Tamiya F201 rims and glue the faoms on and then true them....
__________________
This is DICK!!! And you're NOT!
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NIP Tuned Chassis F201 AND spare F201 w/TONS of Hop-ups cartmen34 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 04-23-2007 09:57 AM
F201 Corey The Great Australia For Sale/Trade 1 06-17-2006 09:21 AM
First F201... scarymonster Rookie Zone 2 12-13-2005 12:41 AM
Wtb: f201 car hpipro321 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 5 08-30-2005 12:00 AM
F201 AQuionIV R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 06-30-2004 12:28 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:40 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net