Search
Like Tree4Likes

Speed Passion F1 car - The SP1

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 10:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
I measured my front and rear as assembled just for giggles.

185mm rear with no washers or spacers. Front was 186mm with 2* negative camber measured at the top of tire.

The Front was 196 with 2* negative camber measured at the very bottom of the tire.

The car is approximately 190mm up front with 0* camber.

I'd rather put a 2mm spacer on the diff side axle, a customer length spacer on the other and a clamp hub to get to the right width. Messing with shims inside the wheel just doesn't suit me. Else I will narrow the front to 185 mm as I don't know if the camber adjustment will make the car illegal width. I'm not going to run it @ 0* camber.
Drill couple of holes on the plastic caster block like I did and use the narrowest setting (from all the info that I listed above), and you will have the whole car well within the 190mm no matter what tires and what camber you use.

This sunday I will test the car with this setting on Pit Shumizu tires/TCS and Pardus at 1/8th size track. However, I see rain is coming....
Old 05-14-2013, 11:12 AM
Tech Champion

I measured my front and rear as assembled just for giggles.

185mm rear with no washers or spacers. Front was 186mm with 2* negative camber measured at the top of tire.

The Front was 196 with 2* negative camber measured at the very bottom of the tire.

The car is approximately 190mm up front with 0* camber.

I'd rather put a 2mm spacer on the diff side axle, a customer length spacer on the other and a clamp hub to get to the right width. Messing with shims inside the wheel just doesn't suit me. Else I will narrow the front to 185 mm as I don't know if the camber adjustment will make the car illegal width. I'm not going to run it @ 0* camber.
With Pit Shimizu tires and no shims mine is measuring at 192mm up front. If it wasn't for the way the rubber overhangs the rim it would be right at 190mm.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Solara
Drill couple of holes on the plastic caster block like I did and use the narrowest setting (from all the info that I listed above), and you will have the whole car well within the 190mm no matter what tires and what camber you use.

This sunday I will test the car with this setting on Pit Shumizu tires/TCS and Pardus at 1/8th size track. However, I see rain is coming....
When the new caster mount comes out for the narrow setting...will there be new upper arms as well or are we still going to have to trim 3mm off them as you show in your pic?
Old 05-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
When the new caster mount comes out for the narrow setting...will there be new upper arms as well or are we still going to have to trim 3mm off them as you show in your pic?
The upper arm is design to use from 184mm to 200mm setting....so you just use the same arm and trim off some of the plastic.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Tech Champion

I'm not too concerned for now so will just wait for the option parts to be released if I'm forced to narrow the car. I really like the front end the way it is. Even with the slightly narrow rear with no shims, the car still handles really well. Any date on the spares coming being on the market?
Old 05-14-2013, 12:33 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
With Pit Shimizu tires and no shims mine is measuring at 192mm up front. If it wasn't for the way the rubber overhangs the rim it would be right at 190mm.
Nice, I'll just do a Ronco: "Set it, and forget it!"
Old 05-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hey guys, i'm about to be new to F1 and have just ordered an SP-1. My very simple question is which version of the Pardus tyre/wheel combo sets do i order?Tthe ones to suit the F103/F104 wheels or the FGX versions? Sorry i just cant find a simple answer after trawling back through this thread...
Thanks for your help!!
Scotty
Old 05-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Scotty G
Hey guys, i'm about to be new to F1 and have just ordered an SP-1. My very simple question is which version of the Pardus tyre/wheel combo sets do i order?Tthe ones to suit the F103/F104 wheels or the FGX versions? Sorry i just cant find a simple answer after trawling back through this thread...
Thanks for your help!!
Scotty
The F103/104 version.....
Old 05-20-2013, 12:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Just finished my first Euro Touring Series-weekend in Apeldoorn (The Netherlands) with the SP-1 in sixth place after qualifiing in fifth (34 contestants). I drove the SP-1 first on friday and it was right on the pace!! The car had to be 180mm and had with the Ride +3-tires a front track of 186mm.

I found the car to be super stable and quick, i only lost time exiting the corners so there is still some work to do.....

Good job Speed Passion!!!
Old 05-20-2013, 01:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Parts

But when can we get parts?
can't find anywhere except offers to remove from kit stock.
only need a 2 dollar front upright. local agent has not replied to an email in a week. problem is if i get one i am scared to drive car as broke very easily.
drove f104 yesterday and hit stuff harder than with sp1 and nothing broke.

rant over. upset sp1 owner. buyer beware.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

After hard racing this weekend, nothing has broken, sorry to hear differently .... For Europe, i heard parts are underway
Old 05-20-2013, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hotrod1933
But when can we get parts?
can't find anywhere except offers to remove from kit stock.
only need a 2 dollar front upright. local agent has not replied to an email in a week. problem is if i get one i am scared to drive car as broke very easily.
drove f104 yesterday and hit stuff harder than with sp1 and nothing broke.

rant over. upset sp1 owner. buyer beware.
I am going to be ordering parts today or tomorrow. They are in stock here in the states. I will ship them to you as soon as they arrive. I know it is very frustrating, but stick with it, I think this is going to be a really good car once all the new car gremlins are worked out
Old 05-20-2013, 10:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Has anyone driven an SP-1 outdoors on asphalt yet? Running one yesterday with some of the Tamiya tires (not TCS, just the normal rubber ones, H/M compounds I think) and the car kicks the rear end out really really badly after about 30 seconds. Seems like once the tires warm up the car over-rotates like crazy on corner exit. Only way to cure it seems to be run the diff super loose (which then makes it feel like it has a 2-speed transmission, and standing starts are ridiculously slow) and be ridiculously easy on the throttle out of corners.

Is this just a case of running the wrong tires? We were trying Trinity Tire Tweak as traction compound...maybe that played a role?

Car is great on carpet with Pardus tires, just trying to figure it out for asphalt racing over the summer. What tires are typically recommended for asphalt?
Old 05-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Tech Champion

I'm not too concerned for now so will just wait for the option parts to be released if I'm forced to narrow the car. I really like the front end the way it is. Even with the slightly narrow rear with no shims, the car still handles really well. Any date on the spares coming being on the market?
Spare parts are online right now...and will be ready by TOMORROW.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:40 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by LloydLoar
Has anyone driven an SP-1 outdoors on asphalt yet? Running one yesterday with some of the Tamiya tires (not TCS, just the normal rubber ones, H/M compounds I think) and the car kicks the rear end out really really badly after about 30 seconds. Seems like once the tires warm up the car over-rotates like crazy on corner exit. Only way to cure it seems to be run the diff super loose (which then makes it feel like it has a 2-speed transmission, and standing starts are ridiculously slow) and be ridiculously easy on the throttle out of corners.

Is this just a case of running the wrong tires? We were trying Trinity Tire Tweak as traction compound...maybe that played a role?

Car is great on carpet with Pardus tires, just trying to figure it out for asphalt racing over the summer. What tires are typically recommended for asphalt?
Yes, you are definitely running the wrong tires...you should at least try the PARDUS....I did it yesterday racing against couple fast driver in US national level and the only way I am behind them is because, is me driving it. The SP1, with the narrow 184mm setup (my car was still setup for narrow carpet)...the wide 190mm setup SHOULD be the way to go for outdoor. I tested the Pardus for 2 rounds and then the TCS/Pit Shumizu for 2 rounds...the different are very minimal...I think the PIT is a little better because it has the rounder edge then the PARDUS but the PARDUS is not DOG SLOW compare to the more expensive Pit Shumizu. It is the 1st time this specific SP1 hitting the asphalt and using the carpet setup...and I was geared from 19T to the end of the day, 25T (with stock 72T spur) and my motor ended up 140* after 6 minutes of racing. I can still gear up more, or add more timing but I don't see the car is any faster at the infield except on the 275 foot long straight.

However, our track is nicely prep with high traction...here is the video if you can see the SP1 (I started 4th and ended up 3rd...) versus a pair of VBC up front and 3 more F104.

Driving F1 is way different then driving it on carpet or 4WD TC....you are over rotation because your servo speed might be too fast and too sensitive...I trimmed my dual rate to like 60% and my steering servo speed is down to 40% on turn in and return...then you MUST EASE the throttle and steering BOTH when exiting the corner into the straight and ease the throttle to WOT slowly....F1 driving is all SKILL and need some practice...there are no TIRES will fit it when you wrack the steering and throttle like you driving a 4WD TC or foam 12th scale....not unless you are running FOAM on F1.

I have a very good OFF ROAD driver to test on the F1 and he can barely made a lap for his first try....it is not easy, but once you get the feel of that...it was super fun to drive (and watch)...

Last racing, we have converted quite alot of ppl to join the F1 because of this race...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.