spintec I.C.C charger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

spintec I.C.C charger

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 11:14 AM
Tech Master

maybe you can try cleaning your contacts tips on the icc (since they are so small, i think it would make a difference if they were dirty)

(hehe i don't know, i am just guessing now), i notice that my 6th cell has issues sometimes too!
Old 01-30-2007, 11:14 AM
Tech Initiate

I had another issue with 1.06c yesterday.
I had a 4 cell pack in setup to discharge before charge.
Started up fine and when I came back to it they had been on for an hour discharging, the pack had already been discharged to 4volts on my BatMan and the ICC was only dropping to .9 per cell, I scrolled along to the capacities and one cell was counting up but was only at 10mah and it stopped after a few seconds of me scrolling at 12 mah. all the readings were right 10-20 mah but it's like it didn't start discharging until I came back to it.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Tech Initiate

The temp gun should always read lower than the ICC as the ICC measures the temp from the underside of the cell, which is surrounded by foam and there is no air flow . the temp gun is reading the top, where there is air flow
Old 01-30-2007, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcnewb2004
maybe you can try cleaning your contacts tips on the icc (since they are so small, i think it would make a difference if they were dirty)

(hehe i don't know, i am just guessing now), i notice that my 6th cell has issues sometimes too!
If you regularly get issues about cell voltage errors etc, it's probably the solder joints going inside.
I've had to re-solder mine twice now

Skiddins
Old 01-30-2007, 03:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by c-lyon
Yes, I increased the setting from 40*c to 45*c with 1.06c. I'll try a little higher. One thing that happens now is that cells 1, 2, and 3 ALWAYS reach temperature earlier than the others, when previously it varied. Anyone else notice this?
The difference is more than likely the internal resistance of the cells being different no cells are the same.
I have matched cells myself and found them to be a closer match than top quality matched packs, they are matched on disscharge rates which means one may take 400mah more charge than the cell next to it but disscharge at closer to the same mah.

That is why this charger is so good because normal chargers may overcharge 3 cells and undercharge 3 cells.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Yes, it's just strange that it happens with all 9 packs. Yesterday I increased to 47*c on a pack and I'm getting close to the previous results on 1.06 at 40*c.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

I am just wondering how does that compare to the temps on a temp gun?

thx skiddins, i wonder how a not well soldered joint will affect the IR reading and stuff on the icc....
Old 01-31-2007, 09:12 AM
Tech Master

I don't have one (I did but it went kaput). I'll borrow one on Friday, race day.
And I rarely get error messages...if I do, it's only a matter of moving the pack around a bit or cleaning the battery bars. And in case it matters my hardware is v1.2.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

I am just wondering how does that compare to the temps on a temp gun?

thx skiddins, i wonder how a not well soldered joint will affect the IR reading and stuff on the icc....
Though I really like the charger it does have a very bad achilles heal.
The 'springs' that are used to make contact with the cells are only held on at the PCB end by a solder joint. Any electronic engineer will tell you that a solder joint should never be used to take any mechanical load (strain). Yet you can feel how much pressure there is when you move the lever. Sorry' it's bad design

Skiddins
Old 01-31-2007, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

I am no EE but i firmly agree that its a crappy design. They should well know that the spring will take a lot of strain... and it will be tested many many many times too... but they didn't do a good job w/ it... i think they partially expect the pcb to take the strain there too. good pictures... i need to learn how to open the charger up like that.. i can never get under it that way

I wonder if applying glue gun to it would do it any good, (except to make a mess)...
Old 01-31-2007, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

I am no EE but i firmly agree that its a crappy design. They should well know that the spring will take a lot of strain... and it will be tested many many many times too... but they didn't do a good job w/ it... i think they partially expect the pcb to take the strain there too. good pictures... i need to learn how to open the charger up like that.. i can never get under it that way

I wonder if applying glue gun to it would do it any good, (except to make a mess)...
I don't think a glue gun or similar is anywhere near strong enough.

I have a couple of ideas for a mod to help prevent this but my design needs some fine tuning.

Watch this space.

Skiddins
Old 01-31-2007, 05:38 PM
Tech Adept

we found that by having the springs at close position while not in use reduces the strain. So maybe something to try and see whether it will improve the recurrence of this problem.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

I am all eyes!
Old 02-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by kiwirevo
I have just noticed something using firmware v 1.06c for a few minutes
If you change between the charge settings (IB4200, GP3700 etc) It doesn't remember to discharge before charge.

I was wrong, It won't remember if you don't charge on that setup.
But if you change it and then charge it'll be fine
Old 02-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Tech Regular

Default download

hey guys how do you download the newer 106c version i have the cable but my laptop is usb not serial port and when i try too down load the program it comes up cannot find hardware too open file how do you do all this thanks!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.