spintec I.C.C charger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

spintec I.C.C charger

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

Hey Skiddins, did u manage to get the entire board loose so you can solder it with the posts pointing towards the sky? it was really difficult to solder for me.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rraden
Classic sign of "cold" solder joint. I hope Spintec sees these pics and corrects their production source. I'm strongly looking at one of these units but I'm still cautious due to the "issues" that they seem to have.

I may not be a cold solder joint, it may just be a lead free solder. Lead free solder joints tend to look like poor leaded solder joints.

Nick Malinoski
Old 10-13-2006, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcnewb2004
Hey Skiddins, did u manage to get the entire board loose so you can solder it with the posts pointing towards the sky? it was really difficult to solder for me.
I left the PCB's in place.
I did have to pull the power leads through the side a bit so I could get the 'bottom' of the charger away from it.
Put it upside down on the bench and 'hey presto' I could get at all the joints.

I used some leaded solder with the iron at 350C, the solder went on easy though you do have to be carefull, the larger diameter cylinder looking bit on the spring is held in place by the solder

I think a good way of helping to prevent this problem is to make sure the lever is always set to the 'close' position when not in use.

Skiddins

Last edited by Skiddins; 10-13-2006 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

Good call. I believe the springs are under tension when it is in the open position. Wish I knew that before I left the country... they will be in the "open" position for the next ten months.

I suppose you don't anymore... but if u do... can u take a wide angle shot on the icc .... i just wanted to see what position it was in for me to be able to solder it again.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcnewb2004
Good call. I believe the springs are under tension when it is in the open position. Wish I knew that before I left the country... they will be in the "open" position for the next ten months.

I suppose you don't anymore... but if u do... can u take a wide angle shot on the icc .... i just wanted to see what position it was in for me to be able to solder it again.
I leave mine in the closed position so not to put to much stress on the joints.

I wonder why Spintec has not been on the boards as of late?
Old 10-14-2006, 12:48 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dodgeguy
I wonder why Spintec has not been on the boards as of late?
They're in the middle of moving to a larger building in order to be able to keep up with the increasing demand.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MBreve
They're in the middle of moving to a larger building in order to be able to keep up with the increasing demand.
And presumably so they can get more people soldering

Skiddins
Old 10-18-2006, 10:58 PM
Shop Owner

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was wondering if it was possible to charge/discharge 6 separate cells before soldering them together.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:09 AM
Tech Master

Lol they got me to do more soldering!
Old 10-19-2006, 05:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nnick
I was wondering if it was possible to charge/discharge 6 separate cells before soldering them together.
Sort of....

Because assembled packs have battery bars, some of the 'prongs' that make contact with the batteries only make contact at the end of one cell, the battery bar would make the connection to the end of the next cell.
I think this is mainly for cell5.

The picture below has a plan view.

The other attachments show the charger in bits.
There is also a side shot showing the new bigger rubber feet that i fitted (allowing better air flow), the originals fell off when I first got it out of the box

Skiddins
Attached Thumbnails spintec I.C.C charger-spintec-plan-view-.jpg   spintec I.C.C charger-bar-position.jpg   spintec I.C.C charger-drowned-solder.jpg   spintec I.C.C charger-new-feet.jpg   spintec I.C.C charger-bench-ready-solder.jpg  

Last edited by Skiddins; 10-19-2006 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

This is the main lever bar in position
Attached Thumbnails spintec I.C.C charger-bar.jpg  
Old 10-19-2006, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm interested to know. When you opened it up, is there alot of vacant space inside? Or is the whole unit packed with electronics?
Old 10-19-2006, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by coons88
I'm interested to know. When you opened it up, is there alot of vacant space inside? Or is the whole unit packed with electronics?
There are two circuit boards, the second is hard to see as the display is part of it.

On the lower main board, the only things that really stick down are the spring contacts for the cells etc, which are like large safety pins and the lever that controls them, there is room for other stuff if necessary but the only reason it's that tall is due to the springs contacts.

I was thinking about some sort of bar to go across the inside to help reduce the strain on the spring contacts when the lever is moved to the 'open' position.

Skiddins
Old 10-20-2006, 12:42 AM
Tech Adept

Default Big Problems

Just got my ICC and have a huge problem. When I charge a pack the charger doesn't recognize the delta peak cutoff or the temp cut off, it just keeps charging till the pack got super hot (I was lucky the cells didn't pop). Tried repeaking another pack and it did the same thing. I'm using IB3800 and IB4200 cells, a 6A chg, 4mv peak, no lockout and max temp at about 120. Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated, until I get this thing fixed it's pretty much a $450 paper weight.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Here for Pre-Order $326

http://www.racing11.net/shop/product...oducts_id=1887

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.