Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Edit: hear is a picture of my car. [/QUOTE]

I don't hear anything. HAHA.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOTMAN
Speedtechrc.com has a line of spurs and pinions made by Xenon. Those are the ones I use
Hi DOTMAN,
I was told the Xenon pinions won't work on the 05 because they go on backwards. Do you have any issues with them? I just picked up some Xenon spurs from Steve and I need to buy some pinions. I was close to buying the robinson pinions, but if the Xenon's fit, I'd love to go with those.
Thanks!
Old 07-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ittjv
Hi DOTMAN,
I was told the Xenon pinions won't work on the 05 because they go on backwards. Do you have any issues with them? I just picked up some Xenon spurs from Steve and I need to buy some pinions. I was close to buying the robinson pinions, but if the Xenon's fit, I'd love to go with those.
Thanks!
I use Xenon pinions. You just have to put them backwards. Fitting these reversed was never an issue to me. If you want me to post pics, let me know.

Hey Oliver (DOTMAN), come race again with us in Camarillo. Jarrod needs some competition in 19t class. He has been winning it ever since we started racing 19t again.

Mark
Old 07-03-2007, 12:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minijosh
Damn...you beat me to it...
Old 07-03-2007, 05:08 AM
Tech Initiate

[QUOTE=Blue_VB_SL253;3450072]Will the Robinson spurs have clearance in the normal Tub chassis? As iam looking into buying a Robinson spur and pinions?

They fit pefectly. I use the stock TA05R tub chassis. I race stock class (Trinity CO27) and use a 74 tooth 48 pitch spur. I vary between 24 and 26 tooth pinions depending on how my batteries and tires feel that day. It's a smaller track, only 120 ft. staightaway. With an IB4200WC battery pack I get 20-25 minutes run time, which is great for practice. Can't beat that!
Jim
Old 07-03-2007, 05:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by minijosh
Edit: hear is a picture of my car.
Whoops lol, unlucky that i did't notice after i posted it
[QUOTE=Jpelosi;3451308]
Originally Posted by Blue_VB_SL253
Will the Robinson spurs have clearance in the normal Tub chassis? As iam looking into buying a Robinson spur and pinions?

They fit pefectly. I use the stock TA05R tub chassis. I race stock class (Trinity CO27) and use a 74 tooth 48 pitch spur. I vary between 24 and 26 tooth pinions depending on how my batteries and tires feel that day. It's a smaller track, only 120 ft. staightaway. With an IB4200WC battery pack I get 20-25 minutes run time, which is great for practice. Can't beat that!
Jim
Thanks heeps mate, thats exactly what i wonted to know mate.
Cheers justin
Old 07-03-2007, 09:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Double Quattro
Is this the 108t 64p gear you used? If not, anyone know if the Robinson type ones mate up (hole position, center diameter) to the Tamiya center shaft and pulley?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...2&I=LXEZ13&P=K
If using the Robinson spur on 12th scale or F103GT car that use it with diff ball....it is a good spur gear. However, if used it on car like TA05R as a main spur gear (as a gear box).....I would not use Robinson spur.
I would use Kimbrough spur gear ONLY....the reason is, if you look at their spur gear, the inner holes that you will use to mount that two 3mm screws, those holes, it has a little plastic offset rims around it....those rims will prevent the spur gear BENT/DEFORM after you screw in that two 3mm screws...

I bought a Robinson 108 for the indoor foam on my TA05R before...but after mounting the spur gear and tighten that two 3mm screws...you can see (from the top) the spur gear is wopping (spelling) left and right..cause there are GAPS between the spur gear and the spur gear adaptor on that TA05R. The Kimbough spur gear's design DOES NOT have that problem...those rim offseted the gap and I can tighten those 2 screws and the spur gear can still align correctly.

Here is the spur gear...(they called it diff gear...)
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXS368&P=7

Again, it is NOT the gears...just Robinson one does not work that well on TC with this kind of spur adaptor...like TA05 series. It worked on my Schumacher....just not on my TA05R.

P.S....108T is the BIGGEST that you can use....109T already showing the tooth sticking outside the tub a little...bad idea for carpet and outdoor racing. I believed 110T already rubbing the front/back of the spur gear slot...
Old 07-03-2007, 09:45 AM
Tech Initiate

I've not had any of the problems you've mentioned with the Robinson spurs. I'm using the stock adapter from the TA05R kit, I don't know if it's different than the vanillia TA05. The spurs fit perfectly. I like the Robinson gears because they are machined and not molded like most spurs. This helps keep concentricity with the mounting hole and the white nylon material seems to hold the involute shape of the gear teeth better.
Just my observations over the past 22 years of R/Cing.
Jim
Old 07-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jpelosi
I've not had any of the problems you've mentioned with the Robinson spurs. I'm using the stock adapter from the TA05R kit, I don't know if it's different than the vanillia TA05. The spurs fit perfectly. I like the Robinson gears because they are machined and not molded like most spurs. This helps keep concentricity with the mounting hole and the white nylon material seems to hold the involute shape of the gear teeth better.
Just my observations over the past 22 years of R/Cing.
Jim
Because of what you just told me...I will give that 108T a try again. Like I mentioned...Robinson spur is TOP NOTCH stuff, no doubt. But when i was using it on my TA05R...once I am trying to tighten that 2 screws, the spur start wopping...seems like there are some gap in between the spur and the adaptor or there are something I forgot to install...

But between the adaptor and the spur...there are nothing to be install, not even any spacer...Mine is a stock TA05R, not TA05 conversion to R...I have that car only like 3 months. I might be missing something.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bukil
I use Xenon pinions. You just have to put them backwards. Fitting these reversed was never an issue to me. If you want me to post pics, let me know.

Hey Oliver (DOTMAN), come race again with us in Camarillo. Jarrod needs some competition in 19t class. He has been winning it ever since we started racing 19t again.

Mark
Hey, Mark...I'm gonna try to make it out there for the next race. I like tracks with a lot of turns. Camarillo is a fun place to race
Old 07-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Perhaps the Robinson 64 diametral pitch spurs are different than the 48 DP gears? I don't know as I've always been wary of 64 DP in regards to durability, plus it's a PITA to line the pitch circles up with such a small tooth profile. But's that's just my own personal bias. I'm not trying to say that one is better than the other.
I could see the 64 DP gears being different as they are commonly used as differential gears on pan cars. Maybe they have extra bosses machined in that are not present on the 48 dp gears? If anyone knows, please chime in.
Jim
Old 07-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Tech Initiate

Well I did a little research myself, since I've got spring fever and I don't feel like doing any more drawings today.
Here's some photos I ripped from TowerHobbies
73t 48 DP

104t 64 DP

The face of the 64DP gear seems to have a concave / chamfered area right by the 3mm clearance holes. I don't know what it looks like on the other side of the gear. Perhaps some 82 degree flat head screws (or whatever the metric equivelent is) would help in keeping the gear mounted flush against the hub.
The 48DP gear is indeed flat in the same area, which is what I'm using on my TA05R.
Interesting.
Jim
Old 07-03-2007, 02:21 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hey all, got a few quick questons:
1) are the aluminum diff joints worth buying, or do they just add more weight than needed?

2) is the aluminum motor mount worth buying, or does it do more for looks than for weight savings and heat dissipation?

3) are the wide pitch pulleys a good buy?
Old 07-03-2007, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CarKing

3) are the wide pitch pulleys a good buy?
Helps by reducing the DRAG in the driveline.. Good stuff!!
Old 07-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

2) is the aluminum motor mount worth buying, or does it do more for looks than for weight savings and heat dissipation?

this will help cool down the motor and not let it heat too much when you're racing or running the kit for about 3 minutes or more...

so the answer would be yes....? hehehe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.