Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

Default oh yea where is my 1/5 scale sedan

that is a nice track i wish i was there with my 1/5 scale sedan and Formula 1 wow
Old 06-30-2010, 01:03 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tjello
That's what I run to, but it just seems that it's not okay and there would be a better solution.

The problem I have is in this curve, you drive here from the main straight (on the left side). It is pretty difficult to find the right line there but on initial turn in I have a lot of oversteer (most of the times uncontrollable).

Anybody got any ideas ?
That turn demands some serious throttle discipline. I would come out of the straight, diving into the turn, and cut it to neutral, and goose it back up to about 1/4 - 1/3 throttle. Ease off a bit or back to neutral real quick around the tight bend, and apex the last leg of it full bore.

Those are my 2 cents. Take advantage of the suspension and throttle at the same time.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

First off.....what part of the world is this track located??

What camber do you have set on your ta05?? I also noticed a huge difference in handling with putting on the stiffer springs.....hpi springs...but extra hard front....soft at the rear of the car.....I'll check part numbers later...but I'm sure the short tamiya springs would be the same idea!!! I like the car to be pretty neutral....a bit on the pushy side.....anyways the track u run on is superb looking!!!

R

That's what I run to, but it just seems that it's not okay and there would be a better solution.

The problem I have is in this curve, you drive here from the main straight (on the left side). It is pretty difficult to find the right line there but on initial turn in I have a lot of oversteer (most of the times uncontrollable).

Anybody got any ideas ?
Old 06-30-2010, 11:09 PM
Tech Initiate

The track is in Genk (Belgium) Model Race Genk

I drive with 2 degrees of camber all around and 5mm downstops. At the moment I use the 'long' tamiya springs, hard on the front and soft on the rear but it is 7.5mm ride height. I've ordered the short springs so I should get ride height to 5-5.5 mm.

I drove yesterday evening and I noticed something huge, when I drive with the nimhs the car is much more stable then with lipo. I guess it's time to measure the weight on left and right...
Old 07-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Suspended

The track is in Genk (Belgium) Model Race Genk

I drive with 2 degrees of camber all around and 5mm downstops. At the moment I use the 'long' tamiya springs, hard on the front and soft on the rear but it is 7.5mm ride height. I've ordered the short springs so I should get ride height to 5-5.5 mm.

I drove yesterday evening and I noticed something huge, when I drive with the nimhs the car is much more stable then with lipo. I guess it's time to measure the weight on left and right...
To balance the weight of the lipo without a scale:

Find out the specs of both the NiMH and lipo batteries, and subtract the difference from the heavy battery. The end result number is what you'll need to add to the lipo to balance the car out. Good luck!!!! That is a nice track now that I take another look
Old 07-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

For what it's worth.......My track is out door asphalt and I was in need of more rear traction.......I was using the 26mm foam tires front and rear....And then I realized...I should be using the 30mm foams on the back....I really didn't think they would fit.......But they fit fine.....And guess what.. more rear grip.....Last night someone put down traction compound and I totaly killed all the other cars......Really to much grip in some places.......Right setup right tires is the key for me.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Suspended

That corner is tricky, yes.

I would really like to get more pictures and references about that particular track before I put my foot in my mouth

Again - nice track. I have been to other tracks where they don't mark the corners nearly as well, and BAM!!!!! Crash!!!!! others know what I'm talking about . . . .

More pics of the track please! }~<
Old 07-02-2010, 09:26 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Bought some genuine tamiya TA05/TRF hop - up stuff today after I paid all my bills.

My points of interest:

#53893 - LW carbon reinf. lower deck:
Still not going to use a digital steering servo, Better safe than to be sorry and slap down 85 bucks for a nice servo that has a 50/50 chance of getting fried; money will go to upgrades instead. This thing has got to feel much stiffer than the flexy kit box chassis for sure. (read down though)

#84006 - Aluminum Diff Joints (black):
Ive had three high-precision diff joints break all too easy (I think so) in the past three years, so I hope this is worth it. I had to buy two sets, as one pack only takes care of one diff.

#53905 - Blue Aluminum Chassis Side Brace:
Too much flex w/ that box kit side brace. The chassis seems the most weakest in the flex department, and especially since I have to mill out the ESC bay in the chassis tub for the Mamba Max Pro to get it to fit, I need a stiffer brace. Wish me luck as I do the same thing to the new LW carbon lower deck

#53884 - Carbon Fiber Battery Plate Set:
Don't get me wrong; the kit box battery plate/ bar or whatever you wanna call it is great. I'm sporting a 40C 5000mAh lipo, so I no longer need the two-sided thing no more. Call it "bling" I guess, but I figured if it's only a lipo, it doesn't need the reverse old skool battery pattern up on top.

#53914 26mm Dish Wheel (0 Offset):
Yeah, not a new part from the box, but more of a replacement. I haven't had a set of tires mounted on dishes since I first ran it, and they're much easier to clean. I miss the dishes, and don't have a set. Gotta have some dishes!!!

#53124 3mm Tungsten-Carbide Diff Ball Set:
A critical upgrade for my Rear Diff. The little instruction slip said to tighten up the diff just as you would in the box kit, and although they are about a year old, have zero pits or flat spots. They also give less wear on the diff plates, in which they bragged about, and I quite agree. Long wear and long life.

My TA05R isn't a pure Tamiya virgin either:

(? Part No.) 3Racing 54mm Touring Car Damper Kit:
I like the fatter bore shock on this manufacturer, and the pistons also have more options. They leak as much as an old AE buggy shock, but the top half seal never dies. I am thinking of going back to the TRFs, or swap them out with the AE TC5's dampers - we'll see . . . .

#N004 Acer Racing Ceramic Nitride 3.0mm Diff Balls:
For the front diff, since that action plus steering equals more heat. I haven't installed them yet, still waiting on the black aluminum diff joints, but I expect these to perform like super space plastic versions of my hop up balls in the rear. They look like perfectly round pumpkin seeds!!!!!

#4495 HPI X Pattern Belted Radial (Pro Compound):
I have always been looking for a tire with more teeth, but the molded in belts in this high-grip asphalt tire is my best choice for now. HPI and Tamiya have both come out with new belted radial patterns, so we'll see. This is my fav although tire wear is much greater than my practice tires which still have no run-out . . . .

So, stay tuned for future post - upgrade pics, wish me luck and happy hunting to all!!!
Old 07-03-2010, 07:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Just added a front oneway to my TA05 and it really helps with the corner speed......The oneway seems to free up the drive train and let the car roll free in the turns......Seems to even give better traction around the corners.......Might try the center oneway next.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by strong
Just added a front oneway to my TA05 and it really helps with the corner speed......The oneway seems to free up the drive train and let the car roll free in the turns......Seems to even give better traction around the corners.......Might try the center oneway next.
I've never been a big fan of that option part because it disables the car's 4WD braking. But if yah like it, then I salute you!!!
Old 07-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well.....Our track is kind of big and not to many turns.... So the oneway speeds thing up even more.... There is also some fast top cars here...So every little thing helps my low cost TA05........The serpent car at the track is having some problem at the present time... But Im sure will be 100% soon and let me tell you....he is hard to beat......Also dont need to use much brakes here and was happy I still have reverse thought the oneway would take that away but it did not.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Suspended

Exclamation

TA05-R Upgrade tips:

On Mamba Max ESCs:

I had to cut away the side of the chassis tub to get my Mamba Max Pro to fit. It left the kit box side motor guard/ side chassis brace mu ch weaker.

The pictures show the kit box chassis, cut with a dremel tool and sanded out.

I will do the same to my carbon reinforced chassis hop-up part when I get it in the mail.

I also need to cradle my lipo battery so it is much more snug and fit. Here's my idea: CA glue some soft and dense foam piecies in six spots (see picture).

As I said, I will post more hop-ups and upgrades latah.

Happy 4th peepz!!!

Last edited by dragnse7en; 07-20-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Well.....Our track is kind of big and not to many turns.... So the oneway speeds thing up even more.... There is also some fast top cars here...So every little thing helps my low cost TA05........The serpent car at the track is having some problem at the present time... But Im sure will be 100% soon and let me tell you....he is hard to beat......Also dont need to use much brakes here and was happy I still have reverse thought the oneway would take that away but it did not.
Good deal if that works

My major concern would be beating up the back belt with two wheel braking. If I were you, I'd be keeping an eye on that back belt because it's not designed for rear-only braking. The whole weight with two belts braking it is one thing, but the same weight with only one belt would make me at least keep an eye on it.

Good luck racing hoss!!!
Old 07-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

You know what I think your right.......never really thought about that.....Have to see how it goes........Hope I didn't weaking one thing while try to Improve another........Should be at the track right now but to much rain today.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Suspended

You know what I think your right.......never really thought about that.....Have to see how it goes........Hope I didn't weaking one thing while try to Improve another........Should be at the track right now but to much rain today.
I would just keep my eye on it is all. I have the R, and after three years I need to finally change out the belts. If you have V2, IFS-R, or Aramid belts, you shouldn't worry about snaps. Just check stretch once a week or so is all I would be worried about.

Post a video if you could of your car taking a corner - I'd like too see your discovery!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.