Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 03:35 AM
Saz
Tech Rookie

Hi Guys,

I’ve just finished building my second TA-05 and incorporated the mods from the first one along with some new parts as well.

The 3Racing chassis has been modified by:

Re-profiling the battery slots for the larger IB4200 cells.

The front top deck has been reprofiled to stop the front belt from catching the lip.

The rear top deck has been re-profiled to allow large pinions to be used.

A little material has also been removed to make sure that the centr shaft assembly does not rub.

The 3Racing rear body posts have been reprofiled to give more upward suspension travel.

On my first Ta-05 the receiver was mounted on the side and the motor did get quite hot. With the second one I've mounted the receiver on a 'v wedge' which does not block the lower cooling holes. I've also machined the top of the Tamiya heatsink to accept a fan. this works very well indeed. Following a little interference, I used a little braid on the leads from the esc to the receiver, this seems to have sorted the problem.

The bulkheads are 3Racing with the Tamiya wide pitched pulleys and a Tamiya front one way and the Tamiya aluminium rear diff. All the diffs and suspension has been shimmed out. Overall the car seems freeer than a Mi2, Yokomo or my old TC3.

The car runs brilliantly indoors, it seems so easy to drive and feels very well set up.

If there is anything I can help anyone with please ask.

Saz
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-ta05-top.jpg   Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-ta05-front.jpg   Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-ta05-rear.jpg   Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-rx-spacer.jpg   Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-dsc01471crop.jpg  

Last edited by Saz; 12-29-2006 at 03:46 AM.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:39 AM
Saz
Tech Rookie

3Racing chassis mods
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-cell-resess.jpg   Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-c-shaft-recess.jpg   Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-pinion-recess.jpg   Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-top-deck.jpg   Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-fan.jpg  

Old 12-29-2006, 03:45 AM
Saz
Tech Rookie

The latest Ta-05 runs a slightly shorter wheelbase, blue springs up front and yellow rear.

I'll do a setup sheet and post it on soon.

Saz
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-braid.jpg   Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-c-shaft.jpg   Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-two-ta05.jpg   Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-f-bulkhead.jpg   Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-r-bulkhead.jpg  

Old 12-29-2006, 04:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Looks good, I to modifed my topdeck to accomodate easier pinion fitting plus, the issue running the centre one-way was resolved by trimming the topdeck too. One thing I have done though, is modified the front topdeck to allow a taller servo horn, to increase the speed of turn for the wheels.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:41 AM
Saz
Tech Rookie

I did the pretty much the same. I removed a little material from underneath the front top deck. You should just be able to see it in the photo below, where the turnbuckle meets the top deck. I used a kimborough medium servo saver as it was a lot stiffer than the Tamiya one. I can get full steering lock, without setting the servo throw above the standard amount.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-top-deck.jpg  
Old 12-29-2006, 06:42 AM
Tech Addict

Last day to go on the 05 and it isnt even got to half what i paid for it so somone is getting a true bargin indeed

[http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tamiya-TA05-TR...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12-29-2006, 07:32 AM
Tech Master

I was seriously tempted, but after just spending £380 on my car after it failed it's MOT... I can't.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:00 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Saz
Hi Guys,
I’ve just finished building my second TA-05 and incorporated the mods from the first one along with some new parts as well.
The 3Racing chassis has been modified by:
Re-profiling the battery slots for the larger IB4200 cells.
The front top deck has been reprofiled to stop the front belt from catching the lip.
The rear top deck has been re-profiled to allow large pinions to be used.
A little material has also been removed to make sure that the centr shaft assembly does not rub.
The 3Racing rear body posts have been reprofiled to give more upward suspension travel.
On my first Ta-05 the receiver was mounted on the side and the motor did get quite hot. With the second one I've mounted the receiver on a 'v wedge' which does not block the lower cooling holes. I've also machined the top of the Tamiya heatsink to accept a fan. this works very well indeed. Following a little interference, I used a little braid on the leads from the esc to the receiver, this seems to have sorted the problem.
The bulkheads are 3Racing with the Tamiya wide pitched pulleys and a Tamiya front one way and the Tamiya aluminium rear diff. All the diffs and suspension has been shimmed out. Overall the car seems freeer than a Mi2, Yokomo or my old TC3.
The car runs brilliantly indoors, it seems so easy to drive and feels very well set up.
If there is anything I can help anyone with please ask.
Saz
Wow!!, nice ride
Old 12-29-2006, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

I still want them blue bulkheads... ANYONE???
Old 12-29-2006, 11:33 AM
Tech Regular

hei SAZ cool car
can you elaborate when you say that diffs and suspension has been shimmed out,please
thank you
ps. does the front oneway comes with a wide pitched pulley ready???
Old 12-29-2006, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

you have to buy the wide pitch pulley seperate. Shimming means taking side plat out of either the diffs or the suspension arms, I just shimmed my diffs to get them to run nicer, you shim the large bearing out so the diff doesn't float.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:00 PM
Tech Rookie

'DA_cookie_monst' is right, use the shims to remove almost all the play. This can be done to the diffs, centre shaft assembly, suspension etc. Tamiya do various thickness and diameters of shims.

Regards,

Saz
Old 12-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

But don't remove all, as the item will then 'bind'
Old 12-29-2006, 02:25 PM
Tech Regular

that is a very good tip guys. thank you
i can see from SAZ photos that the C hubs the rear uprights are not the one that comes with the ta05 stock, are they from the EVO?would they fit on the stock arms?
are the white sponge on the end of the Turnbuckle as dust proof?

Last edited by guinnes.s; 12-29-2006 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:45 PM
Tech Regular

PLEASE DELETE THIS POST

Last edited by guinnes.s; 12-29-2006 at 02:57 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.