Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayBee
Flame you!? What idiot would do such a thing? The TA05 IS AN AWESOME CAR!!! There's a fella (Jeff Kuney) at my local track *SIR* that's cleaning house with the thing. Two weeks ago we had a GT3 Series ending at our track with Triple A's and he and myself went one & two against a fully bad ass class of Silver can racers. We both were running TA05's (mine is fully hopped to Tamiya specs & his is not so hopped up AND he's got the stock plastic chassis on it still!!) Two weeks before then a bunch of our locals went to TCS Nats and he got 3rd or 4th in the A (GT-2).
And in the past week, he's beaten up on all of our MRE's (there's 14 of us who have them ), Yokes and X-Ray's. Even the BEST driver at our track (Tamiya sponsered Dan Garber) has felt the wrath of the TA05 I do have to admit though that it is Dan's set-up on the car that makes it work so good but Jeff is driving the hell out of the car.
So to anyone that is saying that the car isn't competitive against the top end cars- I BEG TO DIFFER
BTW if anyone is looking for a KILLER set-up to try, give me a holla. Dan's set-up is the SHiZniT...
jaybee.. you havent felt the FULL wrath of Shake N Bake yet. thats only HALF with Kuney holding it down until i get up there.

send me that set up dude.. i think have the 23T version of it thanks man. see you in march at the SIR TCS
Old 09-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm pretty well in the same boat.. I have almost enough (just some extra diff screws and bearings, and the motor mount) to build a new TA05, likely gonna sell it and make up some money from the upgrades, or just use it as a second-class car..

I certainly could have bought a 415MSX with the money I've spent, but I certainly wasn't at the skill level worthy of a carbon-aluminum chassis with LWS.. I had better things to worry about than tweak, balance, preparing CF and brittle suspension parts as a beginner.. heck, I'd have the CF deck split in two the in first week I'd try to race it..

The TA05 is an absolute TANK.. it's taken a LOT of abuse from my TCSing and foray into the indoor-foam 19T classes, and I've yet to break anything other than a 3 or 4 bearings and 2 melted diffs for overtightening them.. I'd be spending more time un-tweaking, repairing and buying parts than racing if I had anything else.. including my old TB-02 (two words.. crown gears.. )

Now I have the Xenon Chassis, bought second-hand but brand new, and it works like a charm, lighter and stiffer for indoors (now that TCS is done..). I'm still learning, but I can now drive well enough to avoid abusing the carbon chassis, a luxury I couldn't have been afforded before with my TB-02.

Now, in Xenon racing form, I'm at 1496g with IB3800's, a monster stock and foams.. still don't have the blue motor mount and the LW suspension, which I will consider for the outdoor TCS season.) If I switch to 19T and rubber, I'll likely be around the 1525g limit for rubber racing.. but then again, weight isn't everything.. another 70g to hit the foam limit is only 4.6% of the total weight.. even losing 100g from the stock weight of 1600 is only 6.3%, so in the grand scheme of things, comparing a TA05 to a 415MSX is still down to driving.. the best-of-the-best drivers may notice when it comes to the fastest of laptimes against 415's or T2's, but for the rest of us, it's more than enough for us to improve and race with..

Lotsa money went into my car, but I love it.. plus, most of the extra parts (suspension blocks, springs, screws, suspension, etc.. ) can easily be used in any future Tamiya car I purchase.. and I know I'll be well-prepped to handle it when it comes.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
jaybee.. you havent felt the FULL wrath of Shake N Bake yet. thats only HALF with Kuney holding it down until i get up there.

send me that set up dude.. i think have the 23T version of it thanks man. see you in march at the SIR TCS
No problem just let me transfer it to a set-up sheet. I'm headin' to the track now so I'll take care of it then. You have your hands full at the Regionals up here in March You betta bring your A game & a lunch
Dan's version is for ALL classes
Old 09-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default re

glad that there are ppl who see things the same way i do. by the way is there any places where i can purchase a 3racing ta05 aluminium bulkhead?
Old 09-08-2006, 11:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking "MARCH MADNESS"

Originally Posted by Hebiki

Chris,
Get your car dialed at Bending corners Carpet track and maybe
those "SIR" boys won't be able handle your "A" game .
Just my 2$
Old 09-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Alum. bulkhead!

[QUOTE=doodoo]glad that there are ppl who see things the same way i do. by the way is there any places where i can purchase a 3racing ta05 aluminium bulkhead?[/QUOte}
Have you tried SPEEDTECH RC?
Old 09-08-2006, 11:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by maxepower
I see what your proablem is, your running AE springs instead of Tamiya springs.
It's like running Ford parts on a chevy! It just won't work!
Seriously, unless your running carpet or indoor asphalt with very hight traction, the AE springs have way too much pressure.
The most spring pressure I ran on asphalt is the white but this was high grip track,usually run yellow or blue with medium to low traction These are Tamiya springs!
Not sure about the blue? Aren't the AE golds in the 20 lb. range?
Lighter springs will probably solve your problem!
Just my2$
(Tamiya spring pressures):

Purple 22.72
Gray 20.91
White Short 17.54
Silver 16.13
Blue Short 15.69
White 15.27
Blue 14.08
Yellow Short 13.99
Yellow 13.33
Red Short 12.35
Red 11.86
Ae spring do work out
I run gold up front with silver on the back with CS 27 on our local track no probs with grip
where did you get the spring guide for the tamiya ones?
Old 09-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default =)

okay i'll try there. thank u
Old 09-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

No problem just let me transfer it to a set-up sheet. I'm headin' to the track now so I'll take care of it then. You have your hands full at the Regionals up here in March You betta bring your A game & a lunch
Dan's version is for ALL classes
Jaybee..sweet thanks man. SIR TCS will be dialed. im trying to drag the whole crew up. so it should be fun. i think you should bring YOUR A-GAME..since you skipped out on Nationals
Old 09-08-2006, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

Flame you!? What idiot would do such a thing? The TA05 IS AN AWESOME CAR!!! There's a fella (Jeff Kuney) at my local track *SIR* that's cleaning house with the thing. Two weeks ago we had a GT3 Series ending at our track with Triple A's and he and myself went one & two against a fully bad ass class of Silver can racers. We both were running TA05's (mine is fully hopped to Tamiya specs & his is not so hopped up AND he's got the stock plastic chassis on it still!!) Two weeks before then a bunch of our locals went to TCS Nats and he got 3rd or 4th in the A (GT-2).
And in the past week, he's beaten up on all of our MRE's (there's 14 of us who have them ), Yokes and X-Ray's. Even the BEST driver at our track (Tamiya sponsered Dan Garber) has felt the wrath of the TA05 I do have to admit though that it is Dan's set-up on the car that makes it work so good but Jeff is driving the hell out of the car.
So to anyone that is saying that the car isn't competitive against the top end cars- I BEG TO DIFFER
BTW if anyone is looking for a KILLER set-up to try, give me a holla. Dan's set-up is the SHiZniT...
I'd like to try this set-up to see how good it is??
Old 09-09-2006, 01:57 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
You're not funny Troy
Old 09-09-2006, 02:05 AM
Tech Champion

Last edited by JayBee; 09-18-2006 at 01:39 AM.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:37 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
Go talk to Jeff. He doesn't keep secrets, and will share with anyone. The car is running awsome.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:45 AM
Tech Regular

hey jaybee, thanks for posting the setup (it looks verrrry familiar to mine so i'm happy) is the front width of the car 1mm wider than the rear in that setup? or am i reading it wrong?
Old 09-09-2006, 08:28 AM
Tech Champion

I haven't measured the difference but I don't think it can be being that the rear 1D block widens the rear track width of the car by more than 1mm...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.