Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 02:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Hebiki
i think i got lucky. my carbon tub is only tweaked .5mm

ill fix it with droop, and other settings. anyone run on rubber/asphalt yet? any impressions? (izzy? )
any idea how much weight is saved over the kit tub?
Old 03-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by quantum

The answer is around here somewhere, you might have to go back a couple pages to find it though. Its a worth while amount though if your trying to save weight.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:49 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

plastic tub vs. graphite tub.. you save 20 grams

graphite tub also has slots for using tape! DIALED!
Old 03-06-2006, 05:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by maxepower
If the binary is the RPM version then you will want to gear in between 7.0-8.0 final ratio. Which would be 29 to 34 pinions.
Thank you, maxepower.
I'll start with the 31 I already have and tune from there.
I had been running my TC3 with 48p and don't have a collection of 64p yet.

Saturday night should be the debut of my stock TA05. The only modifications I will make are:
- Foam tires
- Different shock oil, but stock plastic shocks (probably 70/50)
- Hex screws
- 27t stock motor
- 64p spur and pinion

If I get the Mercedes body painted in time, I'll even run the kit body. Otherwise I'll ream extra holes in an older Alpha or something else I have hanging around.

I know it won't be ideal, but I want to see how the stock kit compares to the TC3 I was running (FT with IRS diffs/CVDs, etc...) and see how it runs with the Xrays and RDXs at the track.
I expect I'll add sway bar(s) and possibly change the shocks at some point.

This thread has been instrumental in convincing me to try this kit and I'm sure there will be lots of help when I need it
Old 03-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by Batfish
Thank you, maxepower.
I'll start with the 31 I already have and tune from there.
I had been running my TC3 with 48p and don't have a collection of 64p yet.

Saturday night should be the debut of my stock TA05. The only modifications I will make are:
- Foam tires
- Different shock oil, but stock plastic shocks (probably 70/50)
- Hex screws
- 27t stock motor
- 64p spur and pinion

If I get the Mercedes body painted in time, I'll even run the kit body. Otherwise I'll ream extra holes in an older Alpha or something else I have hanging around.

I know it won't be ideal, but I want to see how the stock kit compares to the TC3 I was running (FT with IRS diffs/CVDs, etc...) and see how it runs with the Xrays and RDXs at the track.
I expect I'll add sway bar(s) and possibly change the shocks at some point.

This thread has been instrumental in convincing me to try this kit and I'm sure there will be lots of help when I need it
Believe me, the stuff you have listed there will be just fine to give a good idea how good the car is. By running the car nearly stock first, you'll get to see something that only a few people here actually can attest to. That the stock kit IS in fact very competitive. Even with the extra weight, stock chassis, and plastic shocks. I ran mine for three races like that, and did quite well.

The best part is, with a car that works so good in stock form, you can take your time and add the hop ups as you wish(or as budget allows )

Good luck to you Saturday night.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:13 PM
Tech Addict

Just received my graphite chassis and it is tweaked. That sucks, but still won’t deter me from such a great car. I tried a PRO4 when everyone told me not to and man was I sorry. That thing had a wicked tweak in it. I ran my TA05 one time at the TCS and fell in love with it. I will she how it goes with this chassis. Can’t wait to put some foams on it and see how it handles with real traction.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey F1, you or Sean heading to MD in 2 weeks for the TCS? I'll be there with my MSX for GT1. I'm letting someone borrow my TA05 for GT2. I just got in all the "graphite" parts. And checking an unmounted chassis on a glass table... the front left is a hair high. Every other corner is flat. I'll have to see how things are once I have everything mounted inside. If the left front is still high... I'll just set 0.5mm more to the ride height reading compared the other corners.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:06 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by KilRuf
Hey F1, you or Sean heading to MD in 2 weeks for the TCS? I'll be there with my MSX for GT1. I'm letting someone borrow my TA05 for GT2. I just got in all the "graphite" parts. And checking an unmounted chassis on a glass table... the front left is a hair high. Every other corner is flat. I'll have to see how things are once I have everything mounted inside. If the left front is still high... I'll just set 0.5mm more to the ride height reading compared the other corners.
I cant make it to that one because of school and tyre budget I am planning on making the next MD race. My chassis is off in the same place you are talking about. I will PM you about Sean, you know how he does
Old 03-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Tech Regular

Default weight savings

plastic tub vs. graphite tub.. you save 20 grams

graphite tub also has slots for using tape! DIALED!
20 grams is worthwhile... and slots for tape means i can throw out the heavy steel battery mounts which will probably save me another 10 or 12 grams!
Old 03-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I know what you mean about tires. I ordered $100 worth
(5 full sets) of just tires from Japan yesterday... That doesn't include rims or inserts. But I'm selling 2 of those sets to a friend. Plus I have some left over from last year for practice. Alittle tire maintance and they'll be like new again..

Anyways, catch ya in July then....
Old 03-06-2006, 08:19 PM
Tech Regular

Default tweak

Originally Posted by KilRuf
my kit chassis is currently tweaked in the exact same place - with everything installed the front left, and also rear right are slightly higher (wonder if its in the way its molded?). i'm still able to be quite competitive BUT must put the darn car on a diet...

i also wonder how much harder it is to put those machine screws into the graphite material... when i get the graphite tub should i thread the holes with the regular steel screws first ?
Old 03-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Tech Master

Does the tweak happened on stock and carbon tube chassis ?

I didn't notice 'cause I bought mine used...
Old 03-06-2006, 10:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

my kit chassis is currently tweaked in the exact same place - with everything installed the front left, and also rear right are slightly higher (wonder if its in the way its molded?). i'm still able to be quite competitive BUT must put the darn car on a diet...

i also wonder how much harder it is to put those machine screws into the graphite material... when i get the graphite tub should i thread the holes with the regular steel screws first ?
i stripped a few Ti screws. id recommend you thread it first.

the graphite tubs are the ones that are tweaked. the plastic ones are fine.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Tech Master

OK thanks....

But visual presentation will be much help....

Anyone still has NIB graphite lower deck ? and have pictures showed the tweak parts ?
Old 03-07-2006, 08:28 AM
Regional Moderator

Actually, my kit plastic tub was about the same as the new graphite tub. I didn't pay much attention to it when I initially built the kit because its not one of those things I go crazy worrying about.

But now that I have taken the kit tub off, I can clearly si that its tweaked.

But it just didn't matter, the car still handled great. Which is why I wonder why people are so concerned about it now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.