Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OFNA GT-V2e 1/8 GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
Those of you that pre-ordered the bodies; they are in transit and i expect them to be in my hands early next week, i will ship ASAP. THE BODIES ARE NOT IN STOCK!!
I think we are all just anxious.. lol you've gotten us wound up with those you have and we are all dying to get our hands on them..
Old 08-06-2013, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The epoxie sounds really good but I didn't experiance any problems handleing the body or anything after it was glassed but I did dremal any stray threads etc... the only drawback for me was I didnt shoe goo the body first and the body tore but the glass stayed intact during a direct curb hit. I'm pretty sure the stock gt-v2e body isn't lexan though so that could have been part of the problem. Next time you do a body you should do a how to video. That would be cool. More good info Chris!
Old 08-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Sometimes they're made of PETG material instead of Lexan polycarbonates.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jstall7543
The epoxie sounds really good but I didn't experiance any problems handleing the body or anything after it was glassed but I did dremal any stray threads etc... the only drawback for me was I didnt shoe goo the body first and the body tore but the glass stayed intact during a direct curb hit. I'm pretty sure the stock gt-v2e body isn't lexan though so that could have been part of the problem. Next time you do a body you should do a how to video. That would be cool. More good info Chris!
Seems like a lot of work.I would trust the epoxy without the shoe goo, advantage flexibility.My thinking is the epoxy will flex with the body.Not going to fully glass a body.If i'm going to add weight, i would rather put it in the Lipo's.If i crash at these speeds,there will be nothing left any how.Chris.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:42 AM
Tech Elite

Well glassing these bodies has been pretty common for ever and I just bought $30 worh of supplys a few weeks ago so I'll try your way when I run out. I admire your idea's though! I will try West Epoxy System or Cold Cure in the future.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:29 AM
Tech Elite

Well glassing these bodies has been pretty common for ever and I just bought $30 worh of supplys a few weeks ago so I'll try your way when I run out. I admire your idea's though! I will try West Epoxy System or Cold Cure in the future.
Don't blame you a bit, if you have the materials might as well use them.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:32 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ckhaber
Seems like a lot of work.I would trust the epoxy without the shoe goo, advantage flexibility.My thinking is the epoxy will flex with the body.Not going to fully glass a body.If i'm going to add weight, i would rather put it in the Lipo's.If i crash at these speeds,there will be nothing left any how.Chris.
Chris,

Had heard a lot of good stuff in the past about the West Marine Systems epoxy resins, but have yet to try them yet.

Been working with composites since the early 1980’s, building cars, boats and molds. Was planning on using Vinylester resin instead of conventional polyester resin this go around, but am considering epoxy now because of the increased lay-up time & lower weight. Great suggestion, without a doubt the most advanced resin option.

What type of cloth have you used?
How is the “wet-out” using the epoxy resins?

Thanks
Old 08-07-2013, 06:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Chris,

Had heard a lot of good stuff in the past about the West Marine Systems epoxy resins, but have yet to try them yet.

Been working with composites since the early 1980’s, building cars, boats and molds. Was planning on using Vinylester resin instead of conventional polyester resin this go around, but am considering epoxy now because of the increased lay-up time & lower weight. Great suggestion, without a doubt the most advanced resin option.

What type of cloth have you used?
How is the “wet-out” using the epoxy resins?

Thanks
I bought this cloth many years ago, don't know the brand name.It's a woven synthetic (nylon) that comes in diff. weight.Marine stores that sell West will have cloth.Wet-out,let me say you will smile ear to ear.Carbon fiber kevlar pieces i made for control horns for my Pylon planes, etc.Another big advantage is first and foremost it's an adhesive, add micro balloons to lighten it , sands well, list go's on.Chris.
Attached Thumbnails OFNA GT-V2e 1/8 GT-picture-129-large-.jpg   OFNA GT-V2e 1/8 GT-picture-131-large-.jpg  
Old 08-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

I bought this cloth many years ago, don't know the brand name.It's a woven synthetic (nylon) that comes in diff. weight.Marine stores that sell West will have cloth.Wet-out,let me say you will smile ear to ear.Carbon fiber kevlar pieces i made for control horns for my Pylon planes, etc.Another big advantage is first and foremost it's an adhesive, add micro balloons to lighten it , sands well, list go's on.Chris.
Sounds excellent Chris, thanks and congrats on the new top speed run again!
Old 08-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

I looked up the glass alternatives and even the best prices I could locate were over double the price of glass. I'm running my warrior with no glass now and it seems to do just fine under a hundred so far. I'm considering glassing the side wings but now im considering a little hot glue in that area for reinforcement since I cut out the back.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Smile

I looked up the glass alternatives and even the best prices I could locate were over double the price of glass. I'm running my warrior with no glass now and it seems to do just fine under a hundred so far. I'm considering glassing the side wings but now im considering a little hot glue in that area for reinforcement since I cut out the back.
Sounds good.Big car show and drags at the airport this weekend, so i think i'll go over the car, going for 125 next time out.Good luck man Chris.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Just ordered the West System Epoxy Kit , 105 resin, 206 (slow) hardner and pumps. Not a cheap purchase at all, but I wanted to try it anyway. Will also try another Warrior body with conventional polyester resin to measure the difference between the two layup materials.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Sounds good.Big car show and drags at the airport this weekend, so i think i'll go over the car, going for 125 next time out.Good luck man Chris.
Sounds like fun, good luck, keep rocking!
Old 08-09-2013, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Just ordered the West System Epoxy Kit , 105 resin, 206 (slow) hardner and pumps. Not a cheap purchase at all, but I wanted to try it anyway. Will also try another Warrior body with conventional polyester resin to measure the difference between the two layup materials.
YES! Your going all in J! I took my car out for a test hit today. I found what looked like it would be a absolutely perfect road but it had a slight crown to it and that really showed how loose my steering is so now I'm off to install the Jato links and whatever else I can find wrong. It seems like this keeps getting harder at this point. Ever since I put the GRP's on my car it has been really sketchy. I'm going to get another set of rear x0-1 tires and glue the crap out of them even though they have a ton of glue already on them. I've got some work to do!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Smile

HI Jeff,worth every penny,you wont be disappointed.I also use West Systems 116ml, 5 minute epoxy, this stuff is high performance.Chris.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.