Like Tree7Likes

Team Associated RC10R5.1 FT World GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chris_blakey
Hi guys,

I have joined the associated ranks, built my new kits last week and I am looking forward to running it on saturday night. Did a build log of the kit on my blog

http://rcgtpancars.blogspot.co.uk/

I am having the problem with the CRC/BSR rear tyres wobbling though? Any tips on how to get rid of it? Pretty sure all my tyres have the lip on them.
Not a lot we can do to get the BSRs to run true right now other than get an IRS WGT axle kit with a narrow left hub. They have a taller center flange that locates the BSR rear wheels properly.

I usually mount and remount BSRs a few times until I get them pretty close straight.

I have spoken to BSR and they are altering their molds to better fit AE hubs. It's will take some time to complete this and deplete existing stock.

Jacos fit perfect.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Not a lot we can do to get the BSRs to run true right now other than get an IRS WGT axle kit with a narrow left hub. They have a taller center flange that locates the BSR rear wheels properly.
So IRS PN 2138 + 215N? Or does the 2138 kit come with the narrow left hub?

thanks,
-B
Old 02-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Tech Champion

No you have to call or email Dave Irrgang and ask him to substitute the really narrow left hub when you order the axle kit. You will also need a good amount of .020" axle spacers to get the width where it needs to be. The IRS WGT axle kit comes with the correct offset right hub and a .750" left hub which is too wide. The stock AE hub left hub is .625" wide and the narrow IRS left hub is .500". You will need to add .125" of spacers to get the right width on the left side.

Last edited by AdrianM; 02-04-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Is the IRS drive(right) hub compatible with the AE axle?
Old 02-04-2013, 08:12 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RoyU
Is the IRS drive(right) hub compatible with the AE axle?
No, the drive side of the IRS axle is longer and only works with the IRS right drive hub. The AE and IRS hubs are the same as far as wheel offset .920" though.

Look at the pics and it will make sense. AE uses a short axle and burys the thrust cone in the hub. IRS put the thrust cone at the end of the hub and uses a longer axle. Both setups work great.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

were have you guys been doing w/ battery position?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Tech Adept

from past experience putting the right at the back makes the car more aggressive in turn in.

I managed to partially solve the BSR/CRC wheel problem. I put a layer or tamiya masking round the inside of the wheel rim where it locates on the hub. This seemed to help locate the wheel centrally.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tnt2671
were have you guys been doing w/ battery position?
I run the speedo in the back with the battery against the blue anno stop (kit standard). I have tried running the battery all the way up to the back of the servo. The car drove nice with the battery further forward but the lap times were slower....at least at my track.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:10 AM
Tech Adept

Well had my first run with the car last night, ran with kit setup.
The car went really well, loads of corner speed. Couple of things though, there is a fair amount of slop in the front suspension. It seems to be primarily in the caster blocks/axles. Anyone else suffer from this? Need to strip it all down and take a fine look but not sure if there. Tempted to replace with the CEFX front end if I can get my hands on it. The car seemed fine without inline axles but may give it a go in the future.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

AdrianM, how did it go running the CRC white side springs in the front?
Old 02-20-2013, 10:20 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RoyU
AdrianM, how did it go running the CRC white side springs in the front?
I ran them front and rear with a blue AE center spring. The car was just OK. I switched to AE silver side springs front and rear (a little softer than CRC whites) with a AE gold center spring and the car was better. The grip was lower than usual and the increase in roll with a stiffer center spring gave me good turn in and corner speed. I got more steering and was able to dial out dual rate. I matched my best lap times but I got more consistent so I had more fast laps.
Attached Files

Last edited by AdrianM; 02-21-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:06 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Adrian,

Thought you said Silver was stiffer than CRC white?

Side Springs (softest to hardest):

Speed Merchant .018" - Linear
AE Black (3.75#)/CRC Blue (Soft) - Progressive
Speed Merchant .020" - Linear
AE Green (4.38#)/CRC White (Med) - Progressive
Speed Merchant .022" - Linear
AE Silver (5.00#)/CRC Red (Firm) - Progressive
Anyone know if they are bringing out an aluminium screw kit for this car? Can't see it listed on the website.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chris_blakey
Anyone know if they are bringing out an aluminium screw kit for this car? Can't see it listed on the website.
I havent seen one but honestly I'd find screws somewhere else. I bought the AE set for the 12r5.1 for my 5.2, there are about 9 different colors of blue in there. I'm not overly picky but id does look like crap.

I came across this place not long ago,http://www.fastener-express.com/metr...ap-screws.aspx. I havent ordered from them yet but I've read that others were happy with their sevice and product. It may cost more but youll have some extras and a better looking product.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I had a 10R5.1 racers ask me about some of the parts I am using on my car. I figure you all should get the info.

WGT Front Springs:

AE .018”
AE .020”

The AE .018’s are the standard spring, great steering, car will roll, good for flowing layouts. AE .020’s keeps the car flatter, slightly less steering, good for chicanes and fast transitions. May need stiffer center spring to get more turn in.

Side Springs (softest to hardest):

Speed Merchant .018" - Linear
AE Black (3.75#)/CRC Blue (Soft) - Progressive
Speed Merchant .020" - Linear
AE Green (4.38#)/CRC White (Med) - Progressive
Speed Merchant .022" - Linear
AE Silver (5.00#)/CRC Red (Firm) - Progressive

Beyond these springs the harder ones are for odd/special applications like a floating pod where the springs are set up not touching/1mm above the links. I ran the kit springs in practice at my first race but the car was awful and I pulled it off after a few laps. I AE Blacks or SM .018" Linears were the best and have been on ever since.
On high grip carpet stiff side springs can cause lifting of inside rear. Soft springs can smooth out the car and increasing mid corner rotation. On low grip carpet stiff side springs (to a point) can increase side traction and steering.

Tube lube:

SpeedMerchant Green Tube Spooge 10-15K Damper tubes 90% of the time
SpeedMerchant Red Tube Spooge 20-25K Damper tubes 10%, King Pin 10% of the time
SpeedMerchant Blue Tube Spooge 30K King Pins 90% of the time

You can use normal 1/8th diff oils in the ranges and get the same effect. I have not used CRC greases so I do not know how they relate. I run light damper lube most of the time. Medium damper lube can improve transitions left to right. Too heavy a lube can reduce rear traction or cause odd handling issues.

Center springs:

CRC - Blue 6#
CRC - White 7#
AE - Silver 8#
CRC - Red 8#
CRC - Green 9#
AE - Blue 10#
CRC - Purple 10#
CRC - Black 11#
AE - Gold 12#
AE - Red 14#

Across all brands of cars setups do not vary by much. Most WGT's use 8-12# springs on carpet.

Softer center springs in combination with soft front springs make the car mellower and improve rear rotation.

Stiffer front springs need a stiffer rear center spring to balance the car and regain lost turn in.

Different tracks need different setups. see the two attached setups. Minnreg is a big, med grip track with fast transitions. FL Indoor R/C is a small flowing high grip track.

The softer FL Indoor setup is slow at Minnreg. It turns and rolls too much in the chicanes.

The stiffer Minnreg setup feels awesome at FL Indoor but just can't match the faster lap times of the softer setup.
Out of curiosity, where are these spring rate comparisons coming from? MFG listed "#" ratings? Finger-dyno? Or actually spring dyno?

I ask because some of the springs listed above seem out of place/order...
Old 02-21-2013, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
Out of curiosity, where are these spring rate comparisons coming from? MFG listed "#" ratings? Finger-dyno? Or actually spring dyno?

I ask because some of the springs listed above seem out of place/order...
I'd have to agree - the older AE VCS springs seem softer than their ratings suggest. CRC's black spring (rated @ 11lbs) is actually stiffer than the old AE copper spring (rated @ 16lbs)...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.