Like Tree2Likes

Xray T4 '13

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 07:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Skiddins
I need some help to try and improve my corner entry steering;

Ignore the missed apex's

I seemed to have to scrub more corner speed than some of the others.
In ultimate lap times I was around 0.5s off the very fastest laps (Ollie Jeffries, Elliot Harper etc) and the only thing I could see watching their cars was that they had plenty of steering despit not slowing quite so much for the corners.

http://www.piez0r.com/Skiddins/Xray%...n-16-12-12.pdf

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
What about antidive for more initial steering?
And I generally prefer progressive springs on the rear as I found that they give more steering in high traction conditions.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:30 AM
Tech Regular

What Chaz said. Also what pitch gear do you run? What motor? I was at an event this weekend, not one spur gear stripped out on a T4 that I know of. My only gear complaint is the pinion gear has to be installed backwards unless you use Xray pinions, and even that is not a big deal. I have never been happier with any car I have raced. This is my second year racing touring car, and usually take large amounts of time off to deal with priorities and real issues. As soon as I set this car on the track, all my friends complimented me on how I have improved as a driver. There is something off in your build, or something is bent. Stop beating a dead horse about how a small fraction of people are having a spur gear issue. If you are not happy with the car, sell it and try something else. Then complain about the TC6.1 knuckles being trash, or how serpent don't have the best plastic, or how if you tap a board with a tamiya they just explode. You have probably the best car on the market with a proven track record. Something is just off somewhere. Shawn K (Breezy 1) said he would be willing to help you out, take him up on that. You will never meet a nicer and more helpful person.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Same experiene for me also
Old 12-17-2012, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by niemand
What about antidive for more initial steering?
And I generally prefer progressive springs on the rear as I found that they give more steering in high traction conditions.
Haven't tried anti-dive.

When I run the progressive's at the back (certainly with the 2.3-2.6) the car end's up too planted, or struggles with faster chicanes.

Skiddins
Old 12-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I need some help to try and improve my corner entry steering;

Ignore the missed apex's

I seemed to have to scrub more corner speed than some of the others.
In ultimate lap times I was around 0.5s off the very fastest laps (Ollie Jeffries, Elliot Harper etc) and the only thing I could see watching their cars was that they had plenty of steering despit not slowing quite so much for the corners.

Hard to say for sure, but I would try one of:
- adding .5mm ackerman shim
- 400wt oil

Both of those should allow the car to react a little faster off center. I think they are a safe change as the car seems to rotate fine once you are in the corner. If you pick up a mid-corner push, try moving to 2 degrees front camber also, or adding a .5mm or 1mm front outer camber link shim for a little more camber gain.

You might also try 50mm front bones.

Last thought is that the car seems a little stiff in the rear, maybe with some of the above changes you can go back to progressives in the rear to get more overall traction.

Good luck.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:06 AM
Tech Regular

@ Skiddins, have you tried pin sweep? What oil in rear diff? What are you running in the front? Have you tried to widen the rear end out a little. Adding droop?
Old 12-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Tech Regular

Haven't tried anti-dive.

When I run the progressive's at the back (certainly with the 2.3-2.6) the car end's up too planted, or struggles with faster chicanes.

Skiddins
Hi, Skiddins.
You should play with the droop, because I guess, the chassis is 2.2mm you must go to 4.5mm rear droop to 5mm in front, or play with more droop, this prevent the
the car from blocking in the corners and decrease corner speed.
The setting further is OK.
Thanks

Ed
Old 12-17-2012, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gwhiz
This:
http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...e-tool-p-24906

Pretty good wrench, actually.
Thanks!
Old 12-18-2012, 11:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pcar951
I hope to have the car built for Tuesday practice. I'll be running boosted 7.5 on indoor carpet, decent grip... good load on the chassis, should be a good spur gear test. I can run back to back with my mod T3/12.
Ran the T4 for the first time tonight, no spur gear problems at all (about 300 laps). Although I didn't tag too many corners with the car, I found it very docile and easy to drive. Pinion gear changes are a real PITA but, overall it's a very nice car. Lap times we're about the same as the 12, a little more consistent though.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:35 AM
Tech Elite

Looks like Xray have listened again

Old 12-19-2012, 01:52 AM
Tech Adept

More like after the dust has settled! They should've recognised the fault upon design.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

1 week too late for me, spent 3 hours last night replacing chassis! Now how quick can I get 1 of these?
Old 12-19-2012, 03:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I will be taking delivery of a new T4 by the end of next week. My plan is to run it as my USVTA car I need some opinions. Will the supplied shock oils/springs/swaybars be soft enough to be effective at the slower speeds of a USVTA ( 25.5 ) car, or do I need to plan on softening it up a bit? I ran my T3'12 in that class once with a 2.6/2.4 - 400cst - 1.3/1.2 combo and it worked great for my style and track.

Any word on when the bumper brace will be available?
Old 12-19-2012, 04:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Or they copied again! Thanks Damon @ Diggity Designs!
http://www.diggitydesigns.com/products_Xray_T4.html

Last edited by Sean B.; 12-19-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:17 AM
Tech Regular

@ ALLOYSLASH - find a set up online for 17.5 and run that. You are going to have a huge problem with weight though. The car is very light by nature and will have to fill the chassis with lead. I have switched multiple cars from a 17.5 class to VTA, not change any settings, and do very well. Dave Johnson won with one of my cars at the Southern VTA NATs in TN, then took it to Snowbirds and won also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.