Team CRC Xti 1/12th Scale!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree221Likes

Team CRC Xti 1/12th Scale!!

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-02-2021, 05:42 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team CRC Xti 1/12th Scale!!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tobamiester

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 08:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Wow that's a lot of information. Thanks for posting it. I should print that out and keep hand.

Last night I removed the aluminum shims from under the U shaped graphite front end plate. I installed the orange and white ride height shims under the lower arms and installed the 2 deg. roll center adjusters. I added an o-ring to the underside of the center shock piston and refilled with 30wt shock oil.This resulted in 0 pod droop so I backed out the ball cup a few turns to get to about 1.5-2mm pod droop. I cleaned and re-lubed the side dampers with 30k diff fluid and man are they a lot more dampened than with the kit supplied 5k. In fact the whole rear pod is way more dampened now and I wonder if I've gone too far. I measured the rear tires from the center balance hole and they are about 47mm each to the inside of the tires. The whole rear width is about 169mm. The front was closer to 165mm but I don't think anymore shims will fit on the axle to widen it. I plan on truing the tires so the are flat and will probably be about 41mm Front and about 42mm Rear when I'm done. They wore pretty even last race but are a little different from inside to outside on the measurement. My ride height is still about 4.5mm all around as this is what I was told was the track minimum. Not sure why because the track is pretty smooth and the timing loop is under the track. I also loosened the diff just a little. It was pretty tight and I had to push really hard to get the gear to slip while holding the tires. About and 1/8 of a turn and it slips easier now but I don't think it will slip under power on the track. I hope this takes away that tendency to push to the right under hard acceleration.

Couple notes or bits of feedback for CRC when packaging these kits is to include the ride height shim set for the front of the car in the kit. The little aluminum washers under the front end plate are really hard to access for changing. And front ride height adjustment shouldn't be an option but an included part. You give the different caster blocks already, which is great, but why not the ride height adjustment? Also something about installing the o-ring under the piston in the shock as an option or recommendation would be helpful. The part is included but no mention where it goes.

Thanks again for all the help and tips.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:45 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I find 20k too thick. I usually use 10k or even 5 but I'm running in pretty high bite. Low grip tracks it might work.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RussF
Last night I removed the aluminum shims from under the U shaped graphite front end plate. I installed the orange and white ride height shims under the lower arms and installed the 2 deg. roll center adjusters...
Couple notes or bits of feedback for CRC when packaging these kits is to include the ride height shim set for the front of the car in the kit. The little aluminum washers under the front end plate are really hard to access for changing. And front ride height adjustment shouldn't be an option but an included part.
I made some shims of various thicknesses using sheet aluminum. They are slotted to fit around the subplate screws, so all I have to do is loosen the screws holding the subplate, slide out whatever is in there (using a hex driver inserted into the holes drilled for this purpose , as shown in the photo), slide new ones in, then tighten the subplate again. No more dropping screws, nuts, and little round aluminum spacers on the floor! (And when I drop the shims, at least they don't roll away.)

This probably won't work if you have the servo mounted forward.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:59 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I can't decide whether to laugh at you for the rubber band or applaud your genius.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wingracer
I can't decide whether to laugh at you for the rubber band or applaud your genius.
I get much more of the former than the latter.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Wow that's a lot of information. Thanks for posting it. I should print that out and keep hand.

Last night I removed the aluminum shims from under the U shaped graphite front end plate. I installed the orange and white ride height shims under the lower arms and installed the 2 deg. roll center adjusters. I added an o-ring to the underside of the center shock piston and refilled with 30wt shock oil.This resulted in 0 pod droop so I backed out the ball cup a few turns to get to about 1.5-2mm pod droop. I cleaned and re-lubed the side dampers with 30k diff fluid and man are they a lot more dampened than with the kit supplied 5k. In fact the whole rear pod is way more dampened now and I wonder if I've gone too far. I measured the rear tires from the center balance hole and they are about 47mm each to the inside of the tires. The whole rear width is about 169mm. The front was closer to 165mm but I don't think anymore shims will fit on the axle to widen it. I plan on truing the tires so the are flat and will probably be about 41mm Front and about 42mm Rear when I'm done. They wore pretty even last race but are a little different from inside to outside on the measurement. My ride height is still about 4.5mm all around as this is what I was told was the track minimum. Not sure why because the track is pretty smooth and the timing loop is under the track. I also loosened the diff just a little. It was pretty tight and I had to push really hard to get the gear to slip while holding the tires. About and 1/8 of a turn and it slips easier now but I don't think it will slip under power on the track. I hope this takes away that tendency to push to the right under hard acceleration.

Couple notes or bits of feedback for CRC when packaging these kits is to include the ride height shim set for the front of the car in the kit. The little aluminum washers under the front end plate are really hard to access for changing. And front ride height adjustment shouldn't be an option but an included part. You give the different caster blocks already, which is great, but why not the ride height adjustment? Also something about installing the o-ring under the piston in the shock as an option or recommendation would be helpful. The part is included but no mention where it
Thanks again for all the help and tips.
IMO I think you went to far with dampening. I would suggest 20k. From club tracks to the birds. I seem to always think 20k is about perfect. 30k is going to give you god aweful initial cut. Go out on 30k for a few laps, come in and pull off a tube and go back out. This will tell you what direction you need to go without a lot of messing around.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:27 AM
Tech Addict

I think I will pull out the 30 right now and maybe go 15-20k. The 30 feels really thick.

Howardcano - What is the rubber band for? My servo is in the forward position. I liked the plate flat on the chassis and will adjust height from there with the shims that go under the arms, but that is a really good idea with the slip in shims.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:25 AM
Tech Addict

Last edited by Josh Keller; 09-21-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:15 AM
Tech Elite

Howardcano - What is the rubber band for?
Oh, crap, I totally missed this! Please forgive this delayed response.

The rubber band is just an old-school, lazy-man's way to reduce steering slop. It could be called "active slop reduction", because if one decides to adjust the toe via contact with an immovable object while driving (which I do with alarming regularity), thereby adding inadvertently to the slop, the rubber band instantly compensates for it.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:52 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Josh Keller
Can someone send me or post a copy of the Xti WC manual or parts list? I did not see either one on CRC's site.

Thanks,
Josh
I couldn't find one either but I could email you mine that I scanned. PM or post your email address.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:13 AM
Tech Adept

Hello

stupid question i know...but i live in Europe and inch tools not are "usual" for us...

for close the 2/56 nut what nut driver size?...

Thanks
Old 09-23-2015, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by corally
Hello

stupid question i know...but i live in Europe and inch tools not are "usual" for us...

for close the 2/56 nut what nut driver size?...

Thanks
It's not a stupid question, but for me the answer is a pair of needle-nose pliers to hold the nut and a 2mm driver works fine in the screw. The 2-56 screw that sets the play in the front arms should only be as tight as it needs to be to minimize play, the pivot ball still needs to freely move.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:29 AM
Tech Adept

Hello Desert

at now i use pliers...but if have a driver think is better...my problem are the size of this driver...on manual indicate for other nut but not for 2/56...
Old 09-24-2015, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Guessing 5/32" or the small socket on a Tamiya wrench.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by corally
Hello Desert

at now i use pliers...but if have a driver think is better...my problem are the size of this driver...on manual indicate for other nut but not for 2/56...
I think the 4 mm will work on the 2/56 nuts if memory serves correctly. Can check it out tonight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.