Like Tree8Likes

YOKOMO Touring Car BD-7

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fabiano TKL
Hello ..

Im from Brazil and i will race with BD7 this season, and the TRFs Grear Diff are breaking easy here, any problem with BD7s gear diff like this?

I also use the Kyosho Red P5 Oring in my diffs as well as the green slime. Haven't had any leak in a while now.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hugh Jazz
That would be Robert Itoh you met, Yokomo Team Manager.
Awesome fellow that Robert Itoh is. Always taking care of his team and other racer's needs. I sure hope that next year they will do better! The car is just so good! I even complimented to Umino that the BD7 fixed all the shortcomings of the BD5!
Old 02-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Tech Regular

Hello ..

Im from Brazil and i will race with BD7 this season, and the TRFs Grear Diff are breaking easy here, any problem with BD7s gear diff like this?

Ive broke other diffs too, the bd7's is good. and no adjustments or extra shims required.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Good News for DCJ Users!!!

Good news for those here trying to use aftermarket DCJs designed for other cars, specifically the 417 series...

I just found this out but it may or may not be known by other people, however it has never been expressly mentioned on RC Tech...

Yesterday I broke my Yokomo DCJs from a full speed collision after a car in qualifying spun out in front of me. I was stressed out because I had no spares other than some Spec R V.2 DCJs from my old Tamiya 417X. It was mentioned by 5tyles that you need to use Tamiya steering hubs and ultimately mess with the ackerman.

I was in the middle of of doing exactly this when I found out that you can use the Spec R DCJ's for the 417 with the stock Yokomo parts so long as you use Tamiya wheel hexes. I'm not entirely sure why but I'm assuming the tapered shape on the back end of the Yokomo hex is deforming the outer bearing race when you tighten down the wheel nut on the Tamiya style DCJ's causing the binding. The Tamiya hex is flat and has a lip that creates a gap between the hex and outside axle bearing. I ran the car like this perfectly for the rest of the day.

So in short:

-Spec R V.2 DCJ's for Tamiya 417 work as long as you change the hexes to Tamiya or Tamiya style/shaped.

-Tamiya OEM DCJ's still do not work even with the hex mod for some reason. They spin fine until you get to half steering lock then they bind.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NolanP
Yeah I went to sell it and got the offer I wanted and couldn't part with it. I have some sort of sick attachment to it. Plus instead of getting frustrated I took the time to figure our how to setup the car so it works. Now it's just finding setups for the different tires that are out there.

So far I have a fantastic Sorex setup....A good Jaco setup. A horrible Sweep setup.

Asphalt season is fast approaching here so It's time to rip the car apart and rebuild it for asphalt season. I would like to have a spare car too. I may be canceling going to our Nationals in change to run mod at the Reedy Race. But we will have to see with the schedule.
Its good to hear you've found various setups that you know work with your yokomo. I find that its genetics that all sweep tires run crap on any car I use. Right now im running sorex on speed miner rims and the car sticks like a beast
Old 02-25-2013, 10:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a pretty good setup for sweeps. This setup also translates well to asphalt for a easy starting base.

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/yoko...0210/setup.pdf
Old 02-26-2013, 09:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by NolanP
If you use green slime on the seals for the diff and take your time to make sure its clean and set and screw the screws down evenly there will be no issues.

How do you break a Diff?
No... just for know, because de TRFs have a very problems here ( breaking easy ) with gear diff and the Xray's works great..
Old 02-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by jeff_78
Ive broke other diffs too, the bd7's is good. and no adjustments or extra shims required.
That's great !!!
Old 02-26-2013, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

No... just for know, because de TRFs have a very problems here ( breaking easy ) with gear diff and the Xray's works great..
I guess I haven't been around it long enough to have broken a gear diff or heard of one locally. I know the 417x is a great car anyway.

Btw it's just finding a balance in the tires. Certain tires make a car loose or tight. Your job in the day of practice is to usually find a way to get your car good in a day of practice.

Most races here in America have pre-mounts. I know our series locally states any pre-mounts so I use the Sorex pre-mounts or Jaco Blues.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Hello people, anybody knows what kind of things or makes can I do to reduce the play in the direction of Bd7?
Old 02-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Tech Regular

I'm sorry to bring this up again... Looking at the carpet setup for the BD7 it has droop at 10 on the front and 8.5 rear. As I understand it this is to the outer hinge pin. Is this also on 10mm blocks?

My normal settings on my previous car, a TC6.1 was 6.5/6 measured on 10mm blocks under the arm front edges. Can I just use the same method? And what would the 10/8.5 from the Yokomo carpet setup sheet equate to?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alejandrospeed
Hello people, anybody knows what kind of things or makes can I do to reduce the play in the direction of Bd7?
Why adjust the amount of play in the car? Certain cars are designed to have play in them.

Originally Posted by scoyle
I'm sorry to bring this up again... Looking at the carpet setup for the BD7 it has droop at 10 on the front and 8.5 rear. As I understand it this is to the outer hinge pin. Is this also on 10mm blocks?

My normal settings on my previous car, a TC6.1 was 6.5/6 measured on 10mm blocks under the arm front edges. Can I just use the same method? And what would the 10/8.5 from the Yokomo carpet setup sheet equate to?
A guy on this forum has a good video Artwork is his name. Check Youtube for the how to's.
I am currently at 5 over ride height up front and 3.5 in the rear.

So in other words I can set my car on 10mm blocks and my front tires are just touching.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by scoyle
Hi Stephen,

The 10mm and 8.5mm settings are measured to the centre of the pin with the car sitting on its chassis on the setup board (i.e. NOT on blocks).
The best tool to use to measure the droop in this way is a steel rule, it's very simple and easy to do.

You can use the 10mm blocks if you like but then you have to add 10mm to the settings and personally I really don't see the point.

If you want to measure it old school with a droop gauge, the Loic Jasmin carpet setup uses 6mm front and 4mm rear measured at the under side of the wishbone under the hinge pin.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:33 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for that - makes complete sense... Off to find a steel rule now :-)
Old 02-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Tech Regular

Just added you on FB by the way

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.