Wiki Posts
Search

Touring Car Pricesr

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default The Cost of Having This Hobby

I've read the posts from beginning to the last and its amazing how the topic has changed so much.

Anyways to get back to the original subject regarding the price of new sedans to come. The fact that there are new high price kits to be released means that there is a market for such cars. By that, I am saying that there are a considerable amount of people willing to pay $400 plus for a new electric sedan chassis. Manfacturers are not pricing these things to hold the hobby for ransom they are doing it to meet the Demand!!

With that being said, those kits are not the only thing available inorder to have fun in this hobby. You can also choose to go with the lesser priced kits and still have fun and be competitive as well.

It is not about what you have, it is about what you put into the hobby in the form of effort towards tuning and driving ability.

Now about being better to buy all the options at once instead of doing it piece by piece. Sure its better and cheaper in the long run to do that but not everyone can afford to. This hobby was built by the average guy starting small and building up as he is able to afford it so there should be nothing wrong with starting from a low or medium priced kit and building from there.

And about the body issue, I don't know how many times I have seen this but there have been a few times at SoCal where I saw someone run a truck body and beat the entire grid by a lap or two. Go figure

To anyone new looking at this thread, pic a car that is well supported in parts and service at your local track or hobby shop, stick to your budget, buy only necessary accessories to help you tune the car and have fun.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

If someone cannot afford a 415 or FK05, then buy one used. I've bought 1 new touring car out of my last 5. I spent the money I saved on better chargers, dyno, motors, batteries.

Any car that was developed in the last few years can win races, so the driver buys the new cars because he or she want something fresh, and unique. Some people have new bodies every few weeks(me), some buy new tires and rims, ect....I have friends that buy new kits or bearings knowing that it won't make them faster, they just like to have nice new equipment. It's all up to the drivers preference. I think most people realize that the new FK05 isn't much better than the 04, and the 415 over the 414.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally posted by Pro4Capece
If someone cannot afford a 415 or FK05, then buy one used. I've bought 1 new touring car out of my last 5. I spent the money I saved on better chargers, dyno, motors, batteries.

Any car that was developed in the last few years can win races, .... .... most people realize that the new FK05 isn't much better than the 04, and the 415 over the 414.
Pro4Capece - I hear you. I haven't picked up a new electric kit since '98. There just two things I do not recommend to ever buy used and thats motors and batteries.

However for some others like parents buying their kids a new RC set-up that don't know much about the hobby, it is better for them to start with new equipment outfitted for them at their local hobby store within their budget.

I never recommend the used market for any beginners. It is only best for guys who have been around like you and me. Some people can take something fresh and new and turn it into garbage while there are others who can polish junk into gems
Old 03-03-2005, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by Evicerator

on the topic of 8 minute racing:

At this point in time I don't think it's a good idea... I don't think people realize how much harder it is on your equipment to go one more minute longer at race speeds let alone 3 extra minutes.

It's not just a matter of your batteries having the capacity to make it through the run. But incidentally, I'm pretty sure you'd hurt your batteries a lot faster by running them hard for 8 minutes than you would at 5 minutes... this translates to needing higher quality batteries more often = more $$

It's going to also be harder on your motors...with the advent of brushless this problem is going to eventually not be such a big deal...but as it stands right now it's hard enough to keep a 7 or 8 turn running strong for 5 minutes... This translates to more motor rebuilds more often = more $$

Another thing people neglect to think about are your tires... foam tires wouldn't be that big a deal as far as wear goes I don't think...they might gum up towards the end of a run...but it's not the same as simply having your set of rubber tires over heat or go through too hard of a heat cycle to have them work...This means fewer good runs out of your rubber tires = more $$
It's thinking like that that is preventing progress and growth in our hobby.

Do you really think more than 2-4% of the "racers" out there really WANT to run a 7-Turn and burn it into the ground?

No...Only spoiled factory guys and folks with more money than most can afford to go Hara or Blackstock fast on a regular basis.

There is nothing wrong with the speed of a properly geared 10 double or 11 single. If it's too "slow" for our eleitist primidonnas then they can go drag-race Bolink Rail cars as far as I'm concerned.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

If we run for 8 min, they guys won't run 7 turns but 10-12 turn motor. They won't run super soft rubber compounds, we'll run one compound harder. But this 8 min idea may not be suited for mod racing. Leave it to stock and 19 turn. In those classes, usually a perfect race wins the A-main, but if you have a fast car and bobble early in the race, they you have an extra 60% of race time to catch up. An example would be the ISTC mod a-main, Marc wrecked with about 2 min to go, then he caught up with the leader, and passed him in the last few laps. This won't happen with stock or 19t b/c the top drivers don't make mistakes and the lap times don't vary enough for a driver to come from the back and take the win.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

It's not just a matter of your batteries having the capacity to make it through the run. But incidentally, I'm pretty sure you'd hurt your batteries a lot faster by running them hard for 8 minutes than you would at 5 minutes... this translates to needing higher quality batteries more often = more $$
Yes.... It'd kill your batteries... Just like when you take them off the car after 5 minutes of varying discharg and throw them on your Turbo 35 on a 30 amp discharge and just burn them into the ground more....