Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hot Bodies Cyclone

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 01:59 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TheCoolCanFanMan

8) The turn buckles are black, not to fussed on this one, but not to sure of the strength of them, are they made from the same material as the WCE ones?
iirc they're made of steel
Old 06-12-2008, 02:40 AM
Tech Initiate

The gear diff is from an old nitro rs4 pro
i have one too but its v heavy tbh
Old 06-12-2008, 04:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 2.4375 vs 2.167

The TC has an internal ratio of 2.167 compared to the previous 2.4375.

Since we can still achieve the same final ratio by different combination of pinion/spur, wonder how the internal ratio will affect the car's handling and acceleration?

Will the affect be more obvious in mod compared to stock racing?
Old 06-12-2008, 05:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by richard baker
The gear diff is from an old nitro rs4 pro
i have one too but its v heavy tbh
10g
Old 06-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

3) Plastic servo mounts (purple alloy in the WCE version) could brake in a crash.
Is that plastic or carbon graphite? The carbon graphite servo mounts are pretty tough i reckon the aluminium is just as likely to break, but the aluminium ones are soooo much easier to screw together.

4a) Plastic shock retainers (purple alloy in the WCE version)
If you are into miniscule grams i think they may be slightly lighter if its any consolation

5) Plastic shock mounts (purple alloy in the WCE version) these are gona wear easier.
I dont think they wear much but you have to watch out that you dont overtighten the nylon lock nuts or you squash them.

6) GRP rear deck ( why couldn't this been CF like the rest of the car)
Its a performance option, more flex....

7) Front bumper brace (this could of been made from CF to)
I actually hate the CF brace as it breaks pretty easy if you are prone to crashing (oops i guess that gives away my driving ability).

This kit is not intended to be a fully optioned kit which is why it doesnt have as much bling as the more expensive WCE.

Personally i dont have any problem with adjusting the diff, if you put an allen key in at a slight angle it should grip the slot in the screw. I think though they stuffed up slightly, as i assume the notch in the out drive end should line up with the screw.

Someone might want to try putting an extra thrust washer in on the end so the screw sticks out a little more.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default ....

The Cyclone WCE was created as a replica to celebrate Andy's win at the World's (...hence all out aluminum parts etc)

The Cyclone TC is the next generation in the Cyclone line (... and actually the street price is less than the WCE). The TC has many functional improvements built in to it, with less bling of the full optioned WCE replica model.

In regards to the FRP rear deck, this is actually the choice of the team drivers and it is a purely performance oriented pick.

Thanks,

AH
Old 06-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Tech Master

What happened to 1, 2, and 4, do you not have any comments on these parts

3) Plastic servo mounts (purple alloy in the WCE version) could brake in a crash.
Is that plastic or carbon graphite? The carbon graphite servo mounts are pretty tough i reckon the aluminium is just as likely to break, but the aluminium ones are soooo much easier to screw together.
Not sure if there plastic or carbon graphite version tbh, but do much prefer the purple ones

4a) Plastic shock retainers (purple alloy in the WCE version)
If you are into miniscule grams i think they may be slightly lighter if its any consolation.
Not a weight issue with me tbh, just think they hold the spring in place better

5) Plastic shock mounts (purple alloy in the WCE version) these are gona wear easier.
I don't think they wear much but you have to watch out that you don't overtighten the nylon lock nuts or you squash them.
When you put the plastic shock mounts on the top and bottom there seems to be a lot of black band forth, on the purple ones you don't get this.

6) GRP rear deck ( why couldn't this been CF like the rest of the car)
Its a performance option, more flex....
Thanks, didn't know this

7) Front bumper brace (this could of been made from CF to)
I actually hate the CF brace as it breaks pretty easy if you are prone to crashing (oops i guess that gives away my driving ability).
Crashing is not an option, its part of the plan

This kit is not intended to be a fully optioned kit which is why it doesnt have as much bling as the more expensive WCE.
Then why is it as expensive as the WCE

Personally i dont have any problem with adjusting the diff, if you put an allen key in at a slight angle it should grip the slot in the screw. I think though they stuffed up slightly, as i assume the notch in the out drive end should line up with the screw.

Someone might want to try putting an extra thrust washer in on the end so the screw sticks out a little more.
Thats what I was going to try

Cheers for you input though. any one else care to step in on the above
Malc
Old 06-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Plastic servo mounts is a dumb idea IMO

http://www.hpiracing.com/news/2008052701/

If you look at Hara's car, he ran alu mounts, but most of the other parts you asked about he ran. And won REEDY.

But I have to agree, I like the cool purple alu parts alot more then the plastic parts Maybe theres a WCE edition on its way?
Old 06-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The cheapest anyone is selling the new TC is speedtechrc and its $379...its still over priced for all the "cheap" stuff it comes with.

This car should easily be selling around $340-$350 range like TC5 and losi Type R cars...what's so expensive about it? The new diff?

Hotbodies/HPI needs to do a much better job with their pricing or else their are going to fail on this one a nd loose a lot of money...witht he tight US economy, and then trying to stick us with a $430 price tag on the TC?

I think they're paying attention, cause prices are dropping after all the compaints and major lack of sales.

They should learn from Kyosho's mistakes, when they were trying to screw Kyosho fans with the TF-5 stallion selling for $489 for a crappy car which is now history...

Hotbodies knows better, and the US market wont be suckered into that...that's why most people are just getting WCE and getting the new diff and that's it.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO

If you look at Hara's car, he ran alu mounts, but most of the other parts you asked about he ran. And won REEDY.

But I have to agree, I like the cool purple alu parts alot more then the plastic parts Maybe theres a WCE edition on its way?
I notice by the pics on your link, that he is using the alu shock collars, as these don't move easy like the placky ones you get with the TC, also he has split the rear deck, to what I assume is to get more rear grip from the car, if this is the case, then you could say it could of been made in CF in the first place.
Over hear in the UK, the car will retail at £325, that nearly $650 thats just CRAZY
Malc
Old 06-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I notice by the pics on your link, that he is using the alu shock collars, as these don't move easy like the placky ones you get with the TC, also he has split the rear deck, to what I assume is to get more rear grip from the car, if this is the case, then you could say it could of been made in CF in the first place.
Over hear in the UK, the car will retail at £325, that nearly $650 thats just CRAZY
Malc
How much are MI3's retailing for in UK?
Old 06-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO

Also the shock mounts have been changed from the placky ones to the purple ones
Malc
Old 06-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
How much are MI3's retailing for in UK?
Take a peak, and double it for US $
http://www.sldmodels.co.uk/shop/rc%2...cher%20mi3.htm
Old 06-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Malc
Also the shock mounts have been changed from the placky ones to the purple ones
Malc
I have never used the plastic collars, so I cant say anything on those. Whats wrong with the FRP plate?

I still think the WCE with a new diff is a better deal.. Im not swapping to a TC any time soon, my WCE is just fine. Im sure there will be a WCE version, and the TC will get cheap, like the older cyclones... I hope
Old 06-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Tech Master

Hi guys,

I wanted to provide some insight into the overall price of the car as it relates to the materials used.

First I'd just like to say that the street price on this car has dropped approx. $90 US from the Andy Moore edition which makes it much more reasonable and gives it a stronger stance in the market.

Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to provide the same number of hop-ups at the same price so certain "non-critical" items were changed to less exotic materials to provide a vehicle that more people could afford.

It is un-fair to compare our car to a TC5 or a Losi Car as the HB TC has a much larger number of machined Aluminum parts, as well as the optional locking spool/front one-way, all of which equals a huge increase to our cost. Every tiny bit of cost incurred by the manufacture is multiplied quite a bit by the time it reaches the end consumer. While the TC might not have all the Hop ups the Moorespeed had, it does have much higher quality materials than those used on the Losi or AE rides (both of which are excellent cars) along with some new/different high performance parts which easily justify the $30 difference in price.

Hara won the Reedy race with nearly a stock car, which I know is tough to consider relevant due to his excellent driving abilities, but it does prove that the car can perform without modifications.

In the end I think our engineering/production team did an awesome job of finding ways to lower the cost while improving the performance of the car. I also value the input of everyone on here as clearly the majority of you would like to see the car reach an even more affordable price tag which I don't think we can over look.

Thank you all for your interest in HB and I wish you all happy racing,

Jeremy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.